The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 01/04/2019 at 19:56, RR35 said:

Barjonas looked extremely sharp and his work rate is the best I’ve seen yet from him

I'd agree, a better performance upfront without a doubt but woefully complicit for their goal. I thought at the time it was Crane who'd allowed their player to rampage down our left and cross for the goal but the highlights show it was BJ. He had ample opportunities and a good few failed attempts to stop his man by fair means or foul and couldn't manage it.  

Barjonas is decent on the ball (sometimes) but fairly weak when not in possession, he's certainly no Regan Hendry.

What a very different season this might have been but for two knee ligament injuries!

Edited to add regarding the reserves last night,

We thought we were in for a torrid time last night against Stirling Albion, especially when they went 1-0 up in less than a minute and nearly added a 2nd a couple of mins later. 

Once the kids got into their stride though they looked unstoppable and only poor finishing kept it to 9!  In fact 7-3 at half time wouldn't have surprised anyone watching. 

Jack Smith looked dangerous every time he got the ball, he's quick has a decent touch and the only reason he had a quieter 2nd half was they put 2 men on him every time he was in possession. Likewise Kieran Bowie who at 17 has massive potential a well taken hat trick and his 2nd was a real joy holding off a bigger centre half before blasting past the keeper. Stevenson took both his goals well as did Tait who slotted into the bottom corner from outside the box. The two trialists looked decent and it was no 14 who got on the scoresheet too, he replaced Smith who looked to be in a wee bit discomfort from a back problem.  

Looks like Smith and McGlynn are rebuilding a decent team virtually from scratch after it being decimated by Smith and Cuthbert.

Edited by Scottydog

3 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I'd agree, a better performance upfront without a doubt but woefully complicit for their goal. I thought at the time it was Crane who'd allowed their player to rampage down our left and cross for the goal but the highlights show it was BJ. He had ample opportunities and a good few failed attempts to stop his man by fair means or foul and couldn't manage it.  

Barjonas is decent on the ball (sometimes) but fairly weak when not in possession, he's certainly no Regan Hendry.

What a very different season this might have been but for two knee ligament injuries!

Edited to add regarding the reserves last night,

We thought we were in for a torrid time last night against Stirling Albion, especially when they went 1-0 up in less than a minute and nearly added a 2nd a couple of mins later. 

Once the kids got into their stride though they looked unstoppable and only poor finishing kept it to 9!  In fact 7-3 at half time wouldn't have surprised anyone watching. 

Jack Smith looked dangerous every time he got the ball, he's quick has a decent touch and the only reason he had a quieter 2nd half was they put 2 men on him every time he was in possession. Likewise Kieran Bowie who at 17 has massive potential a well taken hat trick and his 2nd was a real joy holding off a bigger centre half before blasting past the keeper. Stevenson took both his goals well as did Tait who slotted into the bottom corner from outside the box. The two trialists looked decent and it was no 14 who got on the scoresheet too, he replaced Smith who looked to be in a wee bit discomfort from a back problem.  

Looks like Smith and McGlynn are rebuilding a decent team virtually from scratch after it being decimated by Smith and Cuthbert.

Good to hear this theory. :thumsup2

Good to hear this theory. :thumsup2
There does seem to be logic behind it. Smith was by all accounts uninterested in the youth/ reserve squad. He let a few players such as Bell go in the summer, who, EF fans seem to rate. I don't necessarily agree with it but there is logic behind it.

Iv harped on about it a few times but we shouldn't have scrapped mcglynns youth system he set up in his last spell here. The likes of Vaughan, callachan and Matthews have all came through from it (maybe even bates?)

On 4/2/2019 at 22:41, Ro Sham Bo said:

Call me a fantasist, or call me bitter and twisted. Maybe a bit of both, but imagine a scenario where we relegate Barry Smith's Brechin in our last home game and then relegate McKinnon's Falkirk side in the play off final emoji7.png

by jings that would be just hunky dory 

I told you so 

Did they win the league?

Champagne on ice for another week in Smokieville. If I was an Arbroath fan I’d be slightly peeved with Liam Buchanan for ruining things, but maybe they’ll get better weather for it next week at Brechin.

23 minutes ago, MoanEhRaith said:

With us being confined to the playoffs for another year all but confirmed and the bottom three of the championship chopping and changing, hoping we get past Forfar who would we most like to see in the playoff final?

Falkirk and even then we will still get papped. 

With us being confined to the playoffs for another year all but confirmed and the bottom three of the championship chopping and changing, hoping we get past Forfar who would we most like to see in the playoff final?

Overconfidence there. You have us winning a play-off tie.

Across both divisions, all eight? nine? of the possible teams in the playoffs have one thing in common. On any given day, they can be really quite excellent, or utterly abysmal.

Will it be the Falkirk who, with ten men, thumped Queen of the South 3-0 or the Falkirk who were lucky to get 2 when they shipped 4 to Dunfermline?

The Forfar that lost 4-0 to Brechin, or that put 3 past East Fife?

The Rovers who beat Dunfermline, or the Rovers that lost to Cowdenbeath?

These playoffs are going to be a series of coin-flips. A collection of games settled more by happenstance and good fortune than by skill or endeavour.

Do ya feel lucky, punks?