The New Raith Rovers Thread

Only thing I would question in Michael w's post is the signing a cb. We have davo, bene, Murray, mckay and Nat all able to play there so to sign another cb would be a waste. He 100% should have signed a rb, but if there wasn't anyone in that position available when he had access to funds then its understandable he didn't.

Davidson is passed it
Bene is *apparently* a shadow of his former self
McKay is vastly inexperienced (still okay)
Nat isn’t a CB
Murray in my opinion the only one I don’t have a problem with. (Taken captaincy well)

I do get what you say about funds, but if there are funds for players like Mcguffie who isn’t really doing much then why not at least gamble on a CB.

Who would have thought that the best form we are in all season would happen after our captain get crooked because of a very very stupid tackle he put in.

To me the defence is a clusterfu*k and HAS to be number 1 priority in the summer, in my opinion, should have been in the winter.

Davidson is passed it
Nat isn’t a CB
Murray in my opinion the only one I don’t have a problem with. (Taken captaincy well)

I do get what you say about funds, but if there are funds for players like Mcguffie who isn’t really doing much then why not at least gamble on a CB.

Who would have thought that the best form we are in all season would happen after our captain get crooked because of a very very stupid tackle he put in.

To me the defence is a clusterfu*k and HAS to be number 1 priority in the summer, in my opinion, should have been in the winter.

To spend what money he did have available on another cb would have been silly when we had and still have bigger problems. There is enough depth for cb. Whether the players are good enough is a different debate.

7 minutes ago, grumswall said:
21 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Davidson is passed it
Nat isn’t a CB

To spend what money he did have available on another cb would have been silly when we had and still have bigger problems. There is enough depth for cb. Whether the players are good enough is a different debate.

Do you mean he couldn't find a better CB at Hearts?

Edited by Frank conner

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Mcglynn has not been a success story so far but similar to his last stint I think there has been an improvement in how we have played. It's not great and can be ineffectual at times but we're not pumping long balls at buchanan/ Spence for 90 minutes now. We do look to play it about a bit to stretch teams, even if it is too slow at times to work. He showed yesterday he can change a game aswell, something I don't think Smith was great at. I'd be shocked if we did go up this season but as I said yesterday given the summer window I think mcglynn will get it right.

Only thing I would question in Michael w's post is the signing a cb. We have davo, bene, Murray, mckay and Nat all able to play there so to sign another cb would be a waste. He 100% should have signed a rb, but if there wasn't anyone in that position available when he had access to funds then its understandable he didn't.

We are the top scorers in the league yet are 10 points off the pace. Our defence has not been good enough and that's not all down to the right back. 

We are the top scorers in the league yet are 10 points off the pace. Our defence has not been good enough and that's not all down to the right back. 

It's not all down to the rb. Not having a natural rb throws the balance of the defence off though. How many times this season has Murray been pushed up too far and we've been caught on the break with davo moving out of position to cover him? I am not defending the cbs or crane at lb. Rb was the priority for us defensively though.

If you have enough left in the transfer fund for one player, it would be absolutely criminal to use that money on a position where we already have 5 players able to play there..

You also defend from the front. Our midfield has been absolutely shocking this season. I could probably count on one hand, the amount of games that we have controlled the game. With no midfield, the defenders are having to punt it up to the strikers which brings the pressure right back on us. Gillespie and Wedderburn are defensive minded CM’s yet offer absolutely O protection to the defence whatsoever. The defence is only a part of the problem this season.

If you invite the pressure back on us enough, then you’re only asking for problems. That comes from the midfield.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

If you have enough left in the transfer fund for one player, it would be absolutely criminal to use that money on a position where we already have 5 players able to play there..

You also defend from the front. Our midfield has been absolutely shocking this season. I could probably count on one hand, the amount of games that we have controlled the game. With no midfield, the defenders are having to punt it up to the strikers which brings the pressure right back on us. Gillespie and Wedderburn are defensive minded CM’s yet offer absolutely O protection to the defence whatsoever. The defence is only a part of the problem this season.

If you invite the pressure back on us enough, then you’re only asking for problems. That comes from the midfield.

There was no need to bring in Barjonas to be honest, and the fact that we already have defenders doesent, for me, mean that we should ignore that area of the pitch when recruiting players. 

It is a team effort, but we have lost a daft amount of goals due to bad marking and bad defensive positioning. 

RB has been a huge issue all season and the CBs have their flaws but a lot of the points we've have been down to getting hit on the break through a midfield that doesn't recover. Matthews sitting on the bench watching that has been a mistake IMO. Wedderburn is prettier on the ball but can't cover the ground when we're counter attacked.

46 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

RB has been a huge issue all season and the CBs have their flaws but a lot of the points we've have been down to getting hit on the break through a midfield that doesn't recover. Matthews sitting on the bench watching that has been a mistake IMO. Wedderburn is prettier on the ball but can't cover the ground when we're counter attacked.

This. I can't stress enough how much we've missed his presence in the middle. He's got that bite we need in the middle and never shirks a tackle.

Would much rather have him on than Barjonas, who I think has flattered to deceive. To me, he's belted in a screamer in his first game and that's it. I've missed a few games through illness though, so enlighten me if he's impressed in other games.

This. I can't stress enough how much we've missed his presence in the middle. He's got that bite we need in the middle and never shirks a tackle.
Would much rather have him on than Barjonas, who I think has flattered to deceive. To me, he's belted in a screamer in his first game and that's it. I've missed a few games through illness though, so enlighten me if he's impressed in other games.

I thought he was brilliant at times on Saturday.

The second leg of first playoffs I am away on a short break to Milan. I’ve never used Raith Tv before but does anyone know what the scenario will be for that game. Can I presume it’ll be on? From what I think if we finish 2nd we play 3rd place at home for the second leg, therefore would be fine to use RaithTv in Italy? Also can I stream it on my phone?

The second leg of first playoffs I am away on a short break to Milan. I’ve never used Raith Tv before but does anyone know what the scenario will be for that game. Can I presume it’ll be on? From what I think if we finish 2nd we play 3rd place at home for the second leg, therefore would be fine to use RaithTv in Italy? Also can I stream it on my phone?

Just sack off your trip and watch the Rovers.

Left back is more of a problem for me. Crane has been a big disappointment for me. Lost count of the number of goals that have come from him not defending his area of the pitch or him misplacing passes

What are the dates for the Playoffs? I’m off to Korea for work, so will miss the end of the season, back the 8th May. There should be a game on the 10th though eh? Obviously if we’ve been pumped 3-0 in the first leg at Station Park, that’ll be getting patched. Cheers in advance

1 hour ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Raith TV will cover it - not sure if you will get video of it given it could possibly be on TV - defo get commentary.  For a definitive answer  ask on FanTalk...both Davie and Niall are quick at getting back.

Edited by CrapHouseRat
spelling

23 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

What are the dates for the Playoffs? I’m off to Korea for work, so will miss the end of the season, back the 8th May. There should be a game on the 10th though eh? Obviously if we’ve been pumped 3-0 in the first leg at Station Park, that’ll be getting patched. Cheers in advance

7 & 11 May and 14 & 18 May

Raith TV will cover it - not sure if you will get video of it given it could possibly be on TV - defo get commentary.  For a definitive answer  ask on FanTalk...both Davie and Niall are quick at getting back.

Ah forgot it might be on tv, maybe the new bbc Scotland channel or Alba. If it’s alba I’ll get the Raith commentary lol

It’ll be on RaithTV, regardless of if it’s live on Alba or not [emoji106]