The New Raith Rovers Thread

I wouldn't keep many at all. Probably keep Thomson, Murray, McKay, Gillespie, Nisbet, Vaughan. Review what youngsters to keep and add from new signings whether that is full time or a mixture of both part time and full time.
In way of youngsters by the start of the season both Mckay and Watson will be 21 and looking to be forcing into first team. If they are not capable now in this league then IMO they are not good enough period.

4 hours ago, pantene proV said:

He hasn’t really done anything this season to merit staying though has he? I can’t think of much beyond his usual passes across the park. 1 goal, any assists? Gillespie has shown he can get in the box and score, he’s a much better player than Nat with a better engine too

Agreed our defence needs a massive shake up. Murray and McKay can stay, the rest can go

we need no-nonsense defenders, and McGlynn needs to forget about trying to play out from back through midfield. Bring back Anderson and punt it to him :thumsup2

He has IMO,he has good ball control and generally a good passer of the ball,yes goal return isnt great but Gillespie has only scored 2 with 2 assists this season.Gillespie has a decent engine on him but Nat is a better footballer.We cant function with a midfield of great engines( which we dont have anyway),requires a mix of players with different abilities

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Every player is different and has different priorities, but it’s a relatively significant step up to be honest. In terms of current league form and position, no its not a massive gap, but without meaning to sound disrespectful I would imagine there would be a step up in expectation etc. Theres massive pressure and expectation for us to get out of this league soon, rightly or wrongly, and that transfers onto any new players – whether that is a good or bad thing depends on the player. The Rovers have the potential to become an established Championship side in the coming years (As funny as that may seem now) just as the earlier example of Dundee Utd could become an established Premiership side.

We are not some kind of massive draw for players at this level, and players who are good enough would more than likely get a bigger move sooner, but I still think the Rovers represent a decent opportunity for guys to test themselves with the club at a higher level in the future, or would to an untrained eye anyway.

1,300 odd home fans which whilst not spectacular, represents a pretty decent proportion of our “core” support, at a point in time where apathy is at an all time high. But another season of keech in this league will surely make a further dent in that. 

If you can take a dent in 1300 of a 'core', you're not really down to the core yet.

I can mind the crowds under Tommy Campbell at Gayfield. Sometimes we were down to 300. We have a bigger away support than that recently.

How has McGuffie been doing?

I've noticed he hasnt been getting many starts as of late. He has always been an impact player for us (coming off the bench) but was hoping he would get more game time with you guys.

FWIW, I don't think a switch to a hybrid system or to part-time would be an exact science to improve the squad, but it would likely give us much more depth to our squad which is what is seriously shooting us in the foot this season, along with exceptionally poor performances. I just feel that the top players at this level are PT and it would be foolish to think that remaining FT, if we fail to be promoted that is, would work out any better than switching.

It's all about perspective I suppose, however our finances can't be great with two, and very possibly a third season in this league.

I would much rather be a PT bigger fish than a FT tiddler tbh.