The New Raith Rovers Thread

If Davidson isn't fit, and McKay still can't get into the team... it's probably because he's not very good. 

People will still clamber for McKay every week until he steps on the pitch.
I was quite keen for him to play when McGlynn came in however the longer time goes on, the less I'm actually that bothered. McGlynn, and Smith, will watch him near enough every single day and I'm pretty sure if he was doing the right things he'd be in the team, especially with our defensive frailties of late. McKay also seems a regular in our reserve team, who this season have shipped goals for fun.
He's very much making his way into the Aaron Lennox, Rory Brian, Yaw Osei school of being better with every week you don't play.

On that, I'd be quite disappointed if he didn't get a chance tomorrow given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, PortyMo said:

Can we please get a re-run of the  "We are a massive scalp for them" interview that McGlynn gave the last time we met Raith. All the motivation we needed. 
It certainly worked well for us last time.

C'Mon the Mo 

The fact you can quote our manager from an interview a few months back doesn't really do much to prove him wrong.  

He's very much making his way into the Aaron Lennox, Rory Brian, Yaw Osei school of being better with every week you don't play.

McKay has played 34 matches for the first team, more than those three combined. We know what he’s all about, and he’s generally played pretty well in the first team. The odd mistake but that’s not exactly something that Benedictus and Davidson (and Euan Murray) have been avoiding.

I agree with the general point, but this isn’t a Lee Bryce/Johnny Court/potentially Jack Smith scenario. He’s played plenty before and generally done well. He’ll have a lot of pressure on him now with fans who might expect too much and a manager who clearly doesn’t rate him.

Well, I'll keep quoting it every time we play as long as he keeps GETTING it wrong.

But we are a massive scalp for Montrose and everyone else in this league for that matter. The unbridled joy opposition fans/teams get from beating us can’t be ignored.

To be fair going by Mcglynns interviews he watches a completely different game to most of us and as for him and Smith seeing McKay in training they also see Bene and Davo letting  us down every week. So I'm not overly convinced by their judgement regarding our defence. 

Edited by Frank conner

12 hours ago, Beachbum said:

According to McGlynn on Raith TV he's saying that to fix the defence there could be a knock on effect or two in midfield. That to me means Wedderburn partnering Murray at the centre of defence and Gillespie taking Murray's place.

It seems that under no circumstances will McKay ever get a game.

To be fair upsetting the midfield isn't too much of a problem, they've been mince too. 

5 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

McGlynn has never been one to dig out his players in public. It leads to some pretty mental headlines, but that's who he is.

I'd expect Gillespie at right back, with Murray in the middle alongside Davo (if available) or McKay. 

If Davidson isn't fit, and McKay still can't get into the team... it's probably because he's not very good. 

He was part of a solid defence for a fair amount of time last season despite a less than impressive start to the season. Surely  counts for something considering the mess the first choices are making. 

Watched the highlights of last nights match, and a change of keeper again. I thought McGlynn was the obvious choice to be manager. But he still hasn’t learned a thing. Defence is the biggest problem. From the highlights Dumbarton had way more energy than we did. I was even surprised Conor Brennan made some saves albeit long range shots. I can’t ever remember any saves when he was with us, they usually flew into the net.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Watched the highlights of last nights match, and a change of keeper again. I thought McGlynn was the obvious choice to be manager. But he still hasn’t learned a thing. Defence is the biggest problem. From the highlights Dumbarton had way more energy than we did. I was even surprised Conor Brennan made some saves albeit long range shots. I can’t ever remember any saves when he was with us, they usually flew into the net.

Brennan wasn't a good keeper but he had an atrocious defence in front of him, did save that penalty against Ayr....

Defence is the biggest problem, but also not an easy one to fix. He brought in a full back in Crane which allowed us a bit more balance across the back. He probably thought he could count more on Davo and Bene than he's been able to. They didn't look like a great combination last year either, but arguably centre back is a hard one to fix in loans and January, since it's usually surplus to requirement players or kids and could you imagine the horror if he'd brought a kid in with McKay sitting on the bench? Maybe he thought consistency at the back would breed form but the two centre backs are getting worse, albeit last night Gillespie had a  horror show prior to the second goal (having played well there against Arbroath in December).

The keeper thing is just fucking weird, hopefully someone will ask him what that's all about.

I don't think you can tell energy levels from highlights, a team that sits in but hits quick on the break will look dynamic on a highlights reel when in fact they might be static for much of the time (for example)

Highlights can be misleading, Raith showed very good energy last night, kept going at it right until the end, and were always the team (apart from a 15min spell mid first half) on the front foot and taking the game to Dumbarton. The thing that was really noticeable being there, was that in a physical hard fought match, some players like Flanagan and Barjonas in particular found it difficult to compete.