The New Raith Rovers Thread

39 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Agreeing with Doug or your current state of affairs!!!

20 minutes ago, tazz1903 said:

Won't be long now . :lol:

If McGlynn doesn’t manage a victory over East Fife before the season finishes then he should pack his bags.

If McGlynn doesn’t manage a victory over East Fife before the season finishes then he should pack his bags.

Tbf Agent Smith managed that trick quite easily!!!

Not been on this since we got beat, came for the injury news and wasted about 30 mins of my life reading folk arguing with Arbroath fans... thought that’s what the match thread was for?

Side note all the injuries and none caused by our pitch. Thought we would have maybe one or two players (ours or opponents) get injured so supposed that’s some good news? Stevie G can go f**k himself. Make every ground plastic!

Out of interest can Raith afford to go Full-Time next season in League One again, with a smaller squad than the majority of their rivals???

Out of interest can Raith afford to go Full-Time next season in League One again, with a smaller squad than the majority of their rivals???

Believe there’s a hidden stash of cash Tunrbull Hutton hid under the pitch for use in times of emergency. Understand it should see us through next season.

Believe there’s a hidden stash of cash Tunrbull Hutton hid under the pitch for use in times of emergency. Understand it should see us through next season.

Fair enough!!!
What about the season after, if your 12 man squad fails again???

13 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Sounds like that might be Benedictus for a good while. What a tube.

That's a new one from McGlynn today though. We've done well to hang in there this season and not be down the bottom like Dumbarton apparently. Absolute nonsense.

It's easy to overstate it, no doubt we'd have been a better team if Vaughan and Hendry had been fit the whole season. We've also at various times not had Duggan or Nisbet.

Likewise, the January window simply doesn't afford the opportunity to overhaul the squad. So I have sympathy for McGlynn in that situation. Most of the issues we have stem from the Summer when the board saw fit to give Smith another go, even as they obviously didn't trust him. Yet McGlynn has to some degree perpetuated that in the contract extensions of Flanagan and Benedictus. 

Our back 4 is shite, and we knew even last season that the combination of Davidson and Benedictus was likely to be leaky as f**k. I really would have both gone in the Summer if we could.  Wedderburn get's a game, mostly because he's got a good range of passing and a decent attitude, yet the limitations of his game - mainly his utter lack of mobility - really hurt us in midfield. Gillespie is a far better player than many around him, and he knows it and consequently is playing so far in side himself.  Out wide, only Armstrong and Dingwall have given us any kind of quality. 

It's predictable to see the whole full time/part time setup being trotted out by those who see it as embarrassing that any full time team should finish behind part timers, yet the likes of Dumbarton were finishing 5th in the championship not so long ago. In a league that is all but one full time outfit, then you aren't necessarily going to see that many benefits of full time.  After all what it should give you, in terms of preparation and fitness over others is negated by the fact that  if your the worst full time team, extra preparation is of limited value if the other guys just have better part time players, and the fitness aspect (to the degree that it exists when you consider modern sports science - it's not like your average part timer these days is a fat lump) just doesn't come out until other sides are also full time, consider: If team A is full time and team B is part time, team A plays 9 part time teams, team B plays 8 part time teams and one full time team (team A) if team B has a consistent edge in quality over the other part timers then there is no real benefit to team A for it's full time status. I think it's only really once you get into a league where the majority are full time that you start to see the consistent ordering of full time above part time.

So you have the conundrum that you don't need to be full time to get out of this league, but that a prolonged stay above requires that you pivot to that type of operation. Which leaves you either trying to overhaul everything over a summer, using a hybrid system or going full time already. We've used the hybrid model before and it eventually worked, but coaches don't like the split squads. The latter is the route we've taken but the issue is that you can't be the worst full time team. In order for it to mean anything you have to have good quality throughout the squad - in other words throwing money either at the youth system, first team or both. Full time itself isn't going to do the trick, it's only once you've got the money to attract better full time players that you'll reap the benefits of it.

Ultimately our season is over, and we aren't going anywhere, play offs or not. So it's up to the board in the Summer to think deeply about a strategy that lasts more than 9 months. McGlynn will be kept around - he has his faults like all coaches, however the club needs some sense of continuity as well. He might not like it but we should consider going back to the hybrid system as I doubt we'll afford to sign players who'd otherwise be going to championship teams, instead of taking punts on last chance saloon types like the previous two years.

Davidson, Wedderburn, Duggan, Crane, McGuffie, Buchanan, Barjonas, McKay and Matthews are all players I think will leave (or go back from loan). Of those not under contract but who I'd keep: Euan Murray. If I could get their contracts terminated I'd let Benedictus and Thompson go as well.