The New Raith Rovers Thread

The part time debate is aflame on tbe match thread and arbroath people are here on the rovers thread. Absolute insanity lads.

If we went part time and got promoted - which is the target every season - what next? Go full time with players that don't want to? Or stay part time and flounder?
There is no point in us gearing everything towards promotion in the short term and then being back here 'in crisis' in two years.

Our aim has to be promotion with some kind of momentum and continuity towarda mid-table above.
Yes it's pish just now. Go for a walk or watch a film. Calm down though ffs.

4 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

The part time debate is aflame on tbe match thread and arbroath people are here on the rovers thread. Absolute insanity lads.

If we went part time and got promoted - which is the target every season - what next? Go full time with players that don't want to? Or stay part time and flounder?
There is no point in us gearing everything towards promotion in the short term and then being back here 'in crisis' in two years.

Our aim has to be promotion with some kind of momentum and continuity towarda mid-table above.

Didn’t you have your most successful 7 years when you had a hybrid of part time and full time, I personally think the football on show doesn’t get any better when I watched a lot of full time teams last year, I thought the fitness was better and they wher better organised ( that coulda been down to Dodds) but a club like yours should be able to attract the best part time players and use the money saved to bring in better full time players, it’s a no brainier 

Didn’t you have your most successful 7 years when you had a hybrid of part time and full time, I personally think the football on show doesn’t get any better when I watched a lot of full time teams last year, I thought the fitness was better and they wher better organised ( that coulda been down to Dodds) but a club like yours should be able to attract the best part time players and use the money saved to bring in better full time players, it’s a no brainier 

‘Most successful years’ is a hell of a stretch but yes, last time we went up we had a few part-timers mixed in with a full-time core.

Wish you could mute phrases on here. Foooooool time.

The ‘hybrid’ model as we had in McGlynns previous tenure does seem in theory to be the perfect fit for our level but there must be a reason nobody else operates that way.

It must be a nightmare for training for a start- when do you train? How do you practice shapes or set-pieces when you’re missing key players?
McGlynn made it work before but it can’t be easy.

1 hour ago, L. Brilliant said:

I agree, but the manager has to be backed properly. 

Scrambling around waiting for the full time players nobody else wants isn't going to get us out this league any time soon. That's the harsh reality,especially if we have a lack of squad depth on top of that.

This league is always won by a full time club, we won't even come within a sniff of first place this season so questions have to be asked. 

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:32, Surely No said:

Will be interesting to see the accounts for this season compared to previous ones. Can't remember what we paid for MW centre but all the up to date facilities under the one roof and both grass and astro pitches. Expecting an increase in utility bills and wages,due to the extra useage of San Starko, this season. Hopefully balanced out by rental and the income from FEFA ( £30-40k). Only time will tell. The big question is.... Who benefits financially from this income ??

So Raith Rovers are paying to use thier own pitch? Dunfermlines gym is used pretty frequently and we dont take any cash it would seem odd if the pitch is paid for considering its the 4 fife clubs all in together and suerly they would move to Methill or to Dunfermlines grass training pitches? If you do get cash it will be enough to cover the costs I doubt there is any profit in it.

A full time/part time hybrid seems like the ideal solution to me. I acknowledge there are difficulties logistically in terms of training etc but we managed to get around these before and I see no reason why we can't again.

If we stay full-time, we need to do it properly, not the sort of full time hours/part time wages scenario we seem to have ended up with this season. It means giving the manager a Championship level budget so that we can attract players of a better standard than we currently have so we will have take a hit financially but if we have any serious ambition to get out of this division it's something that is necessary to do.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

A full time/part time hybrid seems like the ideal solution to me. I acknowledge there are difficulties logistically in terms of training etc but we managed to get around these before and I see no reason why we can't again.

If we stay full-time, we need to do it properly, not the sort of full time hours/part time wages scenario we seem to have ended up with this season. It means giving the manager a Championship level budget so that we can attract players of a better standard than we currently have so we will have take a hit financially but if we have any serious ambition to get out of this division it's something that is necessary to do.

This seems to have been the issue for you lot this season for sure, admittedly from the outside looking in. Signing guys like Duggan, Flanagan etc, absolutely 100% part time level players who simply will not be good enough should you get promoted, and sticking them on slightly better wages than they were when they were part time, is not the key to promotion. 

Guys like Nisbet (although he's done well), Wedderburn, Buchanan, these guys aren't gonna have full time clubs scrambling over them, so you end up as the only FT team in this division signing those who are clearly deemed not good enough for the championship by a single team. I think I saw earlier folk saying that the full time team in this league should be winning it but it's not necessarily the case in the same way that the 10th placed team in the championship isn't automatically better than the top team in League 1 simply because they're full time. There's clearly an element of overlap here, and if you manage to assemble a strong squad of PT players (a la Arbroath) then they're more than good enough to see off the challenge of the full time jobbers that you've ended up with.

The logistics of the hybrid system do seem a nightmare, but if costs are an issue (which they are based on nothing other than the vibe I pick up on this thread)  then that has to be the answer. Maybe I'm just a bit too risk averse, but staying full time and chucking money at a squad next year when  you've got a real possibility of either Partick or Falkirk joining in seems to be a gamble that may not pay off for you IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Maybe I'm just a bit too risk averse, but staying full time and chucking money at a squad next year when  you've got a real possibility of either Partick or Falkirk joining in seems to be a gamble that may not pay off for you IMO. 

Totally agree with this part. If one of the above come down then that should have a significant impact on our thinking because we could never match them financially. If Alloa come down and Partick/Falkirk survive the play offs then it's a different scenario.

The problem is that Arbroath haven't got the strongest of Part time squads. Yes some players are good for this level but several are players released from clubs like ours. Not many will step up and perform week in week out next season. The problem we have is a very unbalanced squad, injuries and some players just not good enough.

I also believe that some players including one of our centre halfs has a negative influence on the team.  We also have a manager who will stick by his favourites and not make changes when required. As I said back when Smith left we should have gone with Barry Robson. A young manager with fresh ideas and perhaps an eye for a player or 2.