The New Raith Rovers Thread

39 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

As much as I'm enjoying these mini meltdowns, the argument of "he had a window to sort this out" is absolute nonsense. McGlynn's inherited a shockingly assembled and unbalanced team, and he had the January window where you can only really get players that clubs desperately want out or some  shite bonus loans from bigger clubs where the players you take on are always a gamble. 

This really isn't the time to be offering rationally thought out theories.

Deliver this message at the end of term meltdown instead.

As much as I'm enjoying these mini meltdowns, the argument of "he had a window to sort this out" is absolute nonsense. McGlynn's inherited a shockingly assembled and unbalanced team, and he had the January window where you can only really get players that clubs desperately want out or some  shite bonus loans from bigger clubs where the players you take on are always a gamble. 
As zen has said, get back to trolling us until the mist has cleared.

As a side note. Young is the perfect example with you. Majority calling for his head last season, but given time has built your best squad in years and quite rightly has the supports backing now.

I know there is the argument of separate budgets etc, but the fact we have spent hundreds of thousands on a pitch whilst assembling that collection of players really isn't good enough.

Also, whilst I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to the quality of youth players, I refuse to believe we can't produce players who give more than the likes of Barjonas and McGuffie. Also, the fact Mcglynn has prioritised these over any kind of defender is criminal. 

If McGlynn is the man to take us forward, he needs to wield the axe and rid himself of deadwood like Davo, Thomson, Flanagan and Wedderburn. If the Youth aren’t good enough then get rid. He has to be utterly ruthless. If he signs Davo next season then I won’t be back. Yea I know that’s a hell of a statement

What I'd give for a big destroyer like Mark Campbell. The type of player who won't accept second best and drags his team mates up to his high standards. 

I like Euan Murray but a natural RB would be nice as well. 

The loan players don't look any better than what we have which kinda defeats the purpose. 

18 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I know there is the argument of separate budgets etc, but the fact we have spent hundreds of thousands on a pitch whilst assembling that collection of players really isn't good enough.

Also, whilst I am a bit of a sceptic when it comes to the quality of youth players, I refuse to believe we can't produce players who give more than the likes of Barjonas and McGuffie. Also, the fact Mcglynn has prioritised these over any kind of defender is criminal. 

Do we have a youth team anymore? I though we had shut down our development squad and most of them signed for East Fife?

I do wonder how the likes of Barjonas and McGuffie end up at Starks. Does someone at the club call round the clubs for spare players or do we get offered them through ‘contacts’? 

The ‘shitest full-time club will beat the best part-time teams’ thing doesn’t seem to have worked this season. So I suppose now we stagger along trying valiantly to do enough to get a play-off place.

The main excitement, or rather morbid fascination, will come from seeing whether we get to the play-offs and lose as usual, or whether we don’t even reach the play-offs - sparing fans the inevitable grief of a sixth play-off semi-final defeat - but putting the club at it’s lowest ebb since McGlynn arrived first time around.

It’s great following Rovers.

I thought the pitch looked fantastic and the ball moved well on it. And this is coming from someone who hates artificial surfaces.

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought the pitch looked fantastic and the ball moved well on it. And this is coming from someone who hates artificial surfaces.

The pitch is far better than our grass one and easily the best artificial one I've seen. 

That said, it's a bit of a sore one considering how much it cost, when you look at the squad we have assembled. 

It's the equivalent of moving into a 6 bed country house but living off Super Noodles and Kraft Cheesey Pasta. 

Edited by CALDERON

The pitch is far better than our grass one and easily the best artificial one I've seen. 
That said, it's a bit of a sore one considering how much it cost, when you look at the squad we have assembled. 
It's the equivalent of moving into a 6 bed country house but living off Super Noodles and Kraft Cheesey Pasta. 

Is it hired out regularly to bring income into the club? I believe that’s how Stenny make their money. I wouldn’t want a plastic pitch at Gayf personally but can see why clubs do it

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Is it hired out regularly to bring income into the club? I believe that’s how Stenny make their money. I wouldn’t want a plastic pitch at Gayf personally but can see why clubs do it

It's not at the moment but I believe that is the plan. Problem is that I believe Kirkcaldy had a fair number of pitches already. 

It's not at the moment but I believe that is the plan. Problem is that I believe Kirkcaldy had a fair number of pitches already. 

Yea I can imagine so. Most schools or sports centres have artificial pitches so it can be hard unless you drop the price of hire which ultimately will mean less money being brought in

Yea I can imagine so. Most schools or sports centres have artificial pitches so it can be hard unless you drop the price of hire which ultimately will mean less money being brought in

Exactly. I’d wager that it’ll be way too expensive to hire. So this idea of extra revenue is dead as a dodo. I really miss the grass, before the stadium upgrade in the 90’s we had a great pitch. A nice slope too. The drainage was second to none

34 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

It's not just a case of potentially generating revenue - it's as much a case of reducing expenditure as the first team train on it (not that you would have thought so yesterday) so we're not shelling out for training facilities and pitches for youth and ladies teams to play on elsewhere. We're also supposedly receiving a decent rental income from Fife Elite Academy. 

I wonder if the person at the club responsible for making the ‘all-ticket’ decision felt a bit stupid yesterday with barely 1500 fans in 5000 seats? I know the turnstiles aren’t working correctly but we’ve had bigger crowds on several occasions this season. There was never any danger of a safety issue like the Alloa game.

Impossible to prove but could’ve easily cost the club thousands.

55 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

It's not just a case of potentially generating revenue - it's as much a case of reducing expenditure as the first team train on it (not that you would have thought so yesterday) so we're not shelling out for training facilities and pitches for youth and ladies teams to play on elsewhere. We're also supposedly receiving a decent rental income from Fife Elite Academy. 

Will be interesting to see the accounts for this season compared to previous ones. Can't remember what we paid for MW centre but all the up to date facilities under the one roof and both grass and astro pitches. Expecting an increase in utility bills and wages,due to the extra useage of San Starko, this season. Hopefully balanced out by rental and the income from FEFA ( £30-40k). Only time will tell. The big question is.... Who benefits financially from this income ??

2 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

What I'd give for a big destroyer like Mark Campbell. The type of player who won't accept second best and drags his team mates up to his high standards. 

I like Euan Murray but a natural RB would be nice as well. 

The loan players don't look any better than what we have which kinda defeats the purpose. 

Was thinking similar yesterday. We need to get away from the type of player like Flanagan who'll show up once every five games and in the other four he'll throw a strop. Give me a player like Grant Anderson every time. Didn't try anything too fancy, didn't have a great cross but he'd cause problems for opposition both with his work rate, his physique and his willingness to not lose the head. 

Despite the club trying to hype up a game into being something it wasn’t a home crown barely hitting 1500 supports my earlier suggestion that the attendance would be adversely affected by an all ticket announcement. I hesitate to think what yesterday’s performance will do to the attendance from now till season end. By hey hoh we have a nice pitch.