The New Raith Rovers Thread

11 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Click on your account name at the top left then click on ignored users.

Add new user to ignored list.

Thanks for the input BB, however I tried that and no "ignored users list" came up. Was anything missed out of your advice? Cheers.

Where are folk going for pints in Edinburgh? I put on the cup thread a couple weeks ago and only like 2 folk answered. Best atmosphere is what I’m looking for

Surprised you didn't go with,
'Like if you're going to pub and comment which pub'

Towards the start of the second half Davidson tried to usher a ball back from outside the box to Lyness who was back in his six yard box. Davo turned around and looked like he was wondering what Lyness was doing, when it was himself who was at fault.
I'd be confident Benedictus will look far more solid if we get someone competent at the back with him. It won't happen though...

Aye not sure if you/anyone else noticed also that when Davo does make a mistake he roars like f**k at anyone else except himself, most likely why Robbie has been bitched and lost all confidence where as Lyness looked solid and didn’t seem to let it phase him and roared back a few times to put him in his place.
I liked the team on Saturday, and Davo did make a few shockers during the 90 but the fault lies with Bene for the goal.

15 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

Aye not sure if you/anyone else noticed also that when Davo does make a mistake he roars like f**k at anyone else except himself, most likely why Robbie has been bitched and lost all confidence where as Lyness looked solid and didn’t seem to let it phase him and roared back a few times to put him in his place.
I liked the team on Saturday, and Davo did make a few shockers during the 90 but the fault lies with Bene for the goal.

Would agree regarding the shape of the team, would like to see us stick with that for a few of games. We looked a lot more solid defensively but no formation can account for individual errors like the goal.

I think both centre backs half to take their share of the blame for the goal both make mistakes and don’t cover themselves in glory. I would also, perhaps harshly, question Murray’s positioning. From a goal kick coming down the left hand side of the pitch I think he should be tucked in much further.

He should drop off and tuck in with the rest of the back 4 when Bene goes for the header. However, he seems to expect Bene to win it and as a result is caught too far across and high up the pitch and as a result is unable to cover the space left by Bene. Look at the positioning of Crane throughout that move if Murray had taken that sort of position on the other side he could have helped clear.

That may seem very harsh given the main blame in clearly with the centre backs but I think an experienced natural right back helps out there. 

Bene was first at fault for letting the ball bounce but davo wasn't putting any pressure on his man after the bounce. Both at fault really. Murray was wider because every goal kick Forfar had they were pushing the winger and fullback wide to pull our guys across. He was caught between marking that and being in position to cover the ball down the middle.

Spot on with the rest of it though ws.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Would agree regarding the shape of the team, would like to see us stick with that for a few of games. We looked a lot more solid defensively but no formation can account for individual errors like the goal.

I think both centre backs half to take their share of the blame for the goal both make mistakes and don’t cover themselves in glory. I would also, perhaps harshly, question Murray’s positioning. From a goal kick coming down the left hand side of the pitch I think he should be tucked in much further.

He should drop off and tuck in with the rest of the back 4 when Bene goes for the header. However, he seems to expect Bene to win it and as a result is caught too far across and high up the pitch and as a result is unable to cover the space left by Bene. Look at the positioning of Crane throughout that move if Murray had taken that sort of position on the other side he could have helped clear.

That may seem very harsh given the main blame in clearly with the centre backs but I think an experienced natural right back helps out there. 

If Crane is in a better position, why doesnt he get across to stop the move?

Bene loses the header, then lets his man run off him and Davo switches off and lets the ball bounce, all on the left side of the pitch.

Murray gets across at the same time as Crane, having had further to travel, having been properly positioned for marking his opponent and space.

The fault lies squarely with Bene and Davo, no-one else, not Crane, not Murray; possibly McGlynn for not dropping one or other of the CB's.

Just now, Troy the gardner said:

If Crane is in a better position, why doesnt he get across to stop the move?

Bene loses the header, then lets his man run off him and Davo switches off and lets the ball bounce, all on the left side of the pitch.

Murray gets across at the same time as Crane, having had further to travel, having been properly positioned for marking his opponent and space.

The fault lies squarely with Bene and Davo, no-one else, not Crane, not Murray; possibly McGlynn for not dropping one or other of the CB's.

Because your back 4 should be compact and only be covering predominantly one side of the pitch when defending a long punt goal kick. In this instance it was the left hand side. Your right back doesn’t stay on the right touchline in that defensive situation.

I’m not a big fan of Crane so far but he’s in entirely the correct position. That’s not the left backs area for him to cover he’d need to totally vacate the left back area and also cross the two centre backs.

For Murray to cover he’d just be tucked in to where you’d expect when defending that type of goal kick. There’s about 20 yards between him and the centre backs when Bene goes for the header which at 1-0 with 5 minutes to go from defending a goal kick is criminal.

As highlighted above Murray is unsure whether to watch the winger out wide or tuck in to a more natural position. I think there is uncertainty due to us playing the diamond in midfield and Forfar pushing their wingers and full backs on late in the game. 

It’s a very minor detail and I’m not saying in anyway he is the man at fault for the goal as you say it’s clearly Bene/Davo. If either of them don’t make simple mistakes Murray positioning is irrelevant. I just think there’s a slight shape issue which will hopefully be worked if we stick with the new formation. 

I don’t expect everyone(anyone) to agree. I was always a centre back when I used to play football so I guess I always look to pass some share of the blame elsewhere!  

20 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Where are folk going for pints in Edinburgh? I put on the cup thread a couple weeks ago and only like 2 folk answered. Best atmosphere is what I’m looking for

Aye Mash Tun is very much the Rovers pub when we play at Easter Road. Usually a cracking atmosphere. Get there early if you want a seat. Does good breakfasts/rolls too and decent selection of pints (albeit it is Edinburgh so its a 5er a jar!)