The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

I actually thought the time was right for Mcglynn to move on first time, but I think people are doing his last season a bit of a disservice. We finished 7th after looking completely doomed at one point. Not ideal, but the club was on a massive downer after losing the title race with Dunfermline so to rally as we did was a fitting end to his tenure. 

Also, Mckinnon season apart, the following seasons didn't find us much joy. 

This season isn't going to plan, and he has a fair bit to prove in the remainder of the season, but there is an element of the support that seems to actively dislike him. Even whilst 2-0 up at Arbroath, having almost went 3 up, he was getting called a "fucking clueless clown" by someone. 

Big few months ahead, but he deserves a bit of patience to get us where we need to be.  In a week where the club have been called out for being to short term, looking for yet another new manager would be far from ideal. 

This mentality that has plagued the club for a few years is absolutely bizarre and needs to be eliminated for us to get anywhere. And it's not really clear what or who is to blame there. 

Agree with this.

The last McGlynn season was terrible up until February that year. My memories of that season are feeling we would definitely be relegated after the New Year defeat to Dundee. Then pumping Morton 5-0, that 2-2 draw with Ayr when Casa scored in the 94th minute, then beating QoS at Stark’s. Came away from the QoS game feeling pretty good and that Ayr game was one of the best atmospheres from the last 10 years.

That said, when it was announced he was away to Hearts I thought it was time he went.

Now he’s returned and I feel we have to back him. It’s definitely been a mixed bag of results so far. The win over The Pars is one of those results we’ll be talking about for a while. The Arbroath and Dumbarton away results were also fairly memorable. The away defeats and losing at home to East Fife have been disappointing.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Agree with this.

The last McGlynn season was terrible up until February that year. My memories of that season are feeling we would definitely be relegated after the New Year defeat to Dundee. Then pumping Morton 5-0, that 2-2 draw with Ayr when Casa scored in the 94th minute, then beating QoS at Stark’s. Came away from the QoS game feeling pretty good and that Ayr game was one of the best atmospheres from the last 10 years.

That said, when it was announced he was away to Hearts I thought it was time he went.

Now he’s returned and I feel we have to back him. It’s definitely been a mixed bag of results so far. The win over The Pars is one of those results we’ll be talking about for a while. The Arbroath and Dumbarton away results were also fairly memorable. The away defeats and losing at home to East Fife have been disappointing.

Also, in all the defeats apart from East Fife at home there's a decent argument that we could have won any of them with some of the chances we created. Gutting to have lost so much points from winning positions but at least suggests we aren't fundamentally shite in all areas. 

14 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I actually thought the time was right for Mcglynn to move on first time, but I think people are doing his last season a bit of a disservice. We finished 7th after looking completely doomed at one point. Not ideal, but the club was on a massive downer after losing the title race with Dunfermline so to rally as we did was a fitting end to his tenure. 

Also, Mckinnon season apart, the following seasons didn't find us much joy. 

This season isn't going to plan, and he has a fair bit to prove in the remainder of the season, but there is an element of the support that seems to actively dislike him. Even whilst 2-0 up at Arbroath, having almost went 3 up, he was getting called a "fucking clueless clown" by someone. 

Big few months ahead, but he deserves a bit of patience to get us where we need to be.  In a week where the club have been called out for being to short term, looking for yet another new manager would be far from ideal. 

This mentality that has plagued the club for a few years is absolutely bizarre and needs to be eliminated for us to get anywhere. And it's not really clear what or who is to blame there. 

Totally agree with this...after all what has McGlynn ever done for us?........OH , hud oan!!  

BTW, talking of "clowns", can someone advise on how to block certain posters, (some of the guff on here at times is really cringing.) Tried to block one already but did not work out.

6 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

Totally agree with this...after all what has McGlynn ever done for us?........OH , hud oan!!  

BTW, talking of "clowns", can someone advise on how to block certain posters, (some of the guff on here at times is really cringing.) Tried to block one already but did not work out.

Click on your account name at the top left then click on ignored users.

Add new user to ignored list.

23 hours ago, CALDERON said:

That's about a year now since Mckay was dropped so Benedictus and Davidson could be played together. We've done well since then..... 

As much as I am a fan of Mcglynn, if he continues to ignore this its hard to defend him. 

McGlynn had always had a weird blind spot regarding his centre backs: Overly ruthless with his goalkeepers (no that I'm complaining that Thompson got dropped), and not ruthless at all with his centre backs, and especially a guy like Davo, who despite being a liability at various times over the years on and off the pitch continues to enjoy McGlynn's confidence. 

Having said that, I did like his diamond midfield on Saturday - it did seem like we controlled the game a bit more and with Gillespie rather than Wedderburn at the base, we looked less prone to being over-run on the break. It's things like that - and the signing of Hendry originally, where McGlynn does look like he's trying to fix the issues as he seems them. There is a good chunk of that team that I think he wouldn't have signed himself, even as he feels the need to play them. 

To me, it looks like he's in a catch 22 situation regards the 2 CB's. The 2 of them are experienced enough that they should be cruising this league, Mcglynns taking pelters for not changing them but should he do so and we then continue losing stupid goals and losing games, he'll still get abused by sections of our support . 

The bile i heard directed towards him on saturday was shocking imo, a guy who clearly has an affection for our club ( of which was missing from Locke,Hughes and Smith) and is trying his best despite inheriting a team without players for certain positions or ones who are clearly not good enough. 

The league is away and we now need to concentrate on the playoffs which im not too confident about but personally , i'll wait and judge Mcglynn on the squad he assembles next year after he's got rid of the dead wood from this seasons squad.

To me, it looks like he's in a catch 22 situation regards the 2 CB's. The 2 of them are experienced enough that they should be cruising this league, Mcglynns taking pelters for not changing them but should he do so and we then continue losing stupid goals and losing games, he'll still get abused by sections of our support . 
The bile i heard directed towards him on saturday was shocking imo, a guy who clearly has an affection for our club ( of which was missing from Locke,Hughes and Smith) and is trying his best despite inheriting a team without players for certain positions or ones who are clearly not good enough. 
The league is away and we now need to concentrate on the playoffs which im not too confident about but personally , i'll wait and judge Mcglynn on the squad he assembles next year after he's got rid of the dead wood from this seasons squad.

I agree, I’d rather he be judged on what he does next season regardless of what division we’re in. We all know the league is over. So why not try a few permutations to address the defensive issues.

3 hours ago, renton said:

McGlynn had always had a weird blind spot regarding his centre backs: Overly ruthless with his goalkeepers (no that I'm complaining that Thompson got dropped), and not ruthless at all with his centre backs, and especially a guy like Davo, who despite being a liability at various times over the years on and off the pitch continues to enjoy McGlynn's confidence. 

Having said that, I did like his diamond midfield on Saturday - it did seem like we controlled the game a bit more and with Gillespie rather than Wedderburn at the base, we looked less prone to being over-run on the break. It's things like that - and the signing of Hendry originally, where McGlynn does look like he's trying to fix the issues as he seems them. There is a good chunk of that team that I think he wouldn't have signed himself, even as he feels the need to play them. 

Yeah it's clear he tried to focus on the midfield retaining possession better to take the strain off the defence. 

That largely worked, but when a defense can't deal with a long punt up the pitch then that's all the confirmation that's needed as to where the problem lies. 

If lower league defending was a class, the very first lesson on the very first day would be how to deal with long punts up the middle.  A truly horrid goal to lose. 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Yeah it's clear he tried to focus on the midfield retaining possession better to take the strain off the defence. 

That largely worked, but when a defense can't deal with a long punt up the pitch then that's all the confirmation that's needed as to where the problem lies. 

If lower league defending was a class, the very first lesson on the very first day would be how to deal with long punts up the middle.  A truly horrid goal to lose. 

Aye. I was sitting there thinking "Don't let it bounce, don't let it bounce don't let i.... ah f**k, he let it bounce"

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye. I was sitting there thinking "Don't let it bounce, don't let it bounce don't let i.... ah f**k, he let it bounce"

Considering the Pars defended like that a few weeks back, and train on it every day to know they can’t let the ball do that. Especially on the plastic. 

19 minutes ago, renton said:

It doesn't help that our defence love shelling it long too. We played a lot better for large parts on Saturday, and created three or four clear cut goalscoring opportunities. But when we go behind, or level, we then proceed to lose all composure and we hit long balls towards defences which will mop up long balls all day long. Lewis Toshney had the easiest return he could've asked for in the second half last week when we spent all of the second half piling long balls up to Duggan.

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It doesn't help that our defence love shelling it long too. We played a lot better for large parts on Saturday, and created three or four clear cut goalscoring opportunities. But when we go behind, or level, we then proceed to lose all composure and we hit long balls towards defences which will mop up long balls all day long. Lewis Toshney had the easiest return he could've asked for in the second half last week when we spent all of the second half piling long balls up to Duggan.

Aye, we panic, and it starts from the back.

15 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, we panic, and it starts from the back.

Towards the start of the second half Davidson tried to usher a ball back from outside the box to Lyness who was back in his six yard box. Davo turned around and looked like he was wondering what Lyness was doing, when it was himself who was at fault.

I'd be confident Benedictus will look far more solid if we get someone competent at the back with him. It won't happen though...

1 minute ago, Beachbum said:

Excellent

I did think it was a remarkably tame reaction to two further dropped points.

1 hour ago, renton said:

It reminded me a bit of the late, late penalty we conceded against Albion Rovers last season. Two points gone because of an inability to carry out the most basic elements of defending.