The New Raith Rovers Thread

I like McKay but he doesn’t solve the ills in this team. They’re mentally weak, inconsistent, naive and - at times - lazy. He might not make the mistakes Davidson especially is making which will help but it doesn’t solve letting in goals from counter attacks, midfielders taking the easy options, not defending simple long balls, players like Flanagan, Wedderburn and Gillespie playing well one week in four, now Vaughan is injured the lack of an actual strike partner for Nisbet, not having a right back, and yes, wasting a lot of chances. Yesterday is another game we should win on all aspects of play - possession, territory, pressure, chances, but crucially not goals. Once more, this isn’t unlucky, it’s a consistent pattern.

McGlynn must be absolutely livid with half of that dressing room. His interviews show he’s seeing what we’re seeing, which I guess makes it more frustrating that he won’t change the back line. Chucking in an inexperienced centre back won’t solve anything but at this stage with the transfer window gone, I’m not really sure why it’s not worth trying...

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

emoji23.png I think everyone knew United were circling at that point. At our highest point in the last decade we still knew he was off.

Did the news not break in between the home leg and the away leg?

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Did the news not break in between the home leg and the away leg?

No, bbc had cameras at Starks Park. Not for the game, but to film him entering the ground and ask questions about the job etc. 

Maybe it’s to do with keeping the dressing room onside. You’d imagine that Davo and Bene would be two of the bigger personalities in there. Dropping one of them possibly isn’t going to go down well. 

If you were dropping one, which one would it be? People keep mentioning Davidson, but from memory it was McKay and Davidson who were the defensive partnership a year ago. 

Even if you drop one of them, you still have issues at full back and in goals. The whole defence is a ‘mare.

Edited by Scary Bear

If we don’t make playoffs, do we sack McGlynn?...

Like if we do
Reply with reason why you’d keep him
Well the fact we were second and just being arbroath on Smith leaving, where are we now. Imo if we don't finish second it's an utter failure. He has brought in several players and didn't attempt to address the glaring problem that has been ongoing since the beginning of the season. That interview after today's game confirms above. TONY there is the starter for 10.

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

No, bbc had cameras at Starks Park. Not for the game, but to film him entering the ground and ask questions about the job etc. 

Was there a story on the BBC website? I only recall articles about Ray to United after we beat Hibs.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Was there a story on the BBC website? I only recall articles about Ray to United after we beat Hibs.

Don't know but it was certainly a rumour at that point that had started to gather pace. 

Plus Mckinnon got the job the following midweek and said he'd spent a week mulling over... 

14 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

But using micro aggressions against someone that thrives on competitive football obviously offends your liberal agenda. Your the kind of person that feels sorry for an opposing team that happens to lose against us.

For f**k sake, stop typing absolute cringe worthy pish. 

It's fucking embarrassing. 

Please note that I referred to SOME Raith fans, not ALL Raith fans. I agree that Raith being full time SHOULD be an advantage. However, I dispute that Raith's full-time status gives you any significant advantage in itself. The ' silk purse vs sows ear' analogy comes to mind. Some very decent players wish to remain part time to establish or maintain their professional qualifications. Examples include Maurice Malpas (did he get a Scotland cap while part-time?) and Kenny Deuchar. 

Are you really suggesting that some Raith fans haven't suggested that winning the league should be a formallity because the main opposition are part time teams like Arbroath, East Fife & Forfar?  That's what pisses me off, not the fact that the Lichties are currently well ahead of you, and East Fife & Forfar may overtake you in the next few weeks.

Look, be honest here, On day one of the season, if your club were the only full time team in the league, double the home attendance of all the other teams in the league on average, hence larger budget where would you expect your team to finish. Would you honestly say fourth behind the teams mentioned above, geez. Let's see the posts next season if you are promoted and do a Brechin.  

The majority of the support expect a competitive league and so it has been. The expectations of most to winning the league in these circumstances is no way being arrogant. Its realistic.

21 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Don't know but it was certainly a rumour at that point that had started to gather pace. 

Plus Mckinnon got the job the following midweek and said he'd spent a week mulling over... 

United were relegated on the Monday night and sacked Mixu the following morning. The McKinnon rumours started gathering pace there and then. He said if Rovers were promoted he would definitely be at Starks Park the next season, but didn't elaborate any further. Our CEO being seated with the Dundee United directors at Dens Park added fuel to the fire and within half an hour of the full time whistle blowing at Easter Road the following Saturday, Dundee United had a statement on their website saying they had asked Raith Rovers for permission to speak to McKinnon. 

I’m pretty sure that the BBC were in the south stand at the first leg against hibs asking fans their opinions on McKinnon going to United. I was one of the ones asked about it.

2 minutes ago, batross07 said:

I’m pretty sure that the BBC were in the south stand at the first leg against hibs asking fans their opinions on McKinnon going to United. I was one of the ones asked about it.

And you’re only pretty sure? 

It was definitely the Hibs first leg as I was interviewed too.... imparting my wisdom that everyone involved was a dedicated professional and paper talk / speculation wouldn't affect preparations or focus for the playoffs. What an idiot.

5 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

United were relegated on the Monday night and sacked Mixu the following morning. The McKinnon rumours started gathering pace there and then. He said if Rovers were promoted he would definitely be at Starks Park the next season, but didn't elaborate any further. Our CEO being seated with the Dundee United directors at Dens Park added fuel to the fire and within half an hour of the full time whistle blowing at Easter Road the following Saturday, Dundee United had a statement on their website saying they had asked Raith Rovers for permission to speak to McKinnon. 

This was a bit rich seeing as they had been speaking to him for weeks prior to this.

I actually thought the time was right for Mcglynn to move on first time, but I think people are doing his last season a bit of a disservice. We finished 7th after looking completely doomed at one point. Not ideal, but the club was on a massive downer after losing the title race with Dunfermline so to rally as we did was a fitting end to his tenure. 

Also, Mckinnon season apart, the following seasons didn't find us much joy. 

This season isn't going to plan, and he has a fair bit to prove in the remainder of the season, but there is an element of the support that seems to actively dislike him. Even whilst 2-0 up at Arbroath, having almost went 3 up, he was getting called a "fucking clueless clown" by someone. 

Big few months ahead, but he deserves a bit of patience to get us where we need to be.  In a week where the club have been called out for being to short term, looking for yet another new manager would be far from ideal. 

This mentality that has plagued the club for a few years is absolutely bizarre and needs to be eliminated for us to get anywhere. And it's not really clear what or who is to blame there.