The New Raith Rovers Thread

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I take exception to that to be honest.  I don't think  being full time makes us any better than clubs like yourself. I, and others, are frustrated and annoyed that we don't see any benefit to that additional financial outlay, making it pointless.  

If being full time didn't give an advantage at this level, the league wouldn't have been won by full time teams for years. It's not unreasonable for us to expect to see some additional benefit over the other clubs in this league, otherwise what is the point. 

I feel all those things without a superiority complex over clubs like Arbroath. 

Please note that I referred to SOME Raith fans, not ALL Raith fans. I agree that Raith being full time SHOULD be an advantage.

However, I dispute that Raith's full-time status gives you any significant advantage in itself. The ' silk purse vs sows ear' analogy comes to mind. Some very decent players wish to remain part time to establish or maintain their professional qualifications. Examples include Maurice Malpas (did he get a Scotland cap while part-time?) and Kenny Deuchar. 

Are you really suggesting that some Raith fans haven't suggested that winning the league should be a formallity because the main opposition are part time teams like Arbroath, East Fife & Forfar?  That's what pisses me off, not the fact that the Lichties are currently well ahead of you, and East Fife & Forfar may overtake you in the next few weeks.

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

What's more worrying is that we've had significant player turnaround. I'd hoped the likes of Mchattie and Barr were the root cause. 

Indeed. In terms of continuity, we're left with very few that have been there through all of that. 

Davidson, Benedictus, McKay, Matthews and Vaughan. Mckay is a squad player and Vaughan spent much of it out the team. 

There is no apparent reason for it.

I certainly don't take exception to being in second place given the season Arbroath have had. Being 12 points behind having played a game more, however...
Far too many points have been lost from winning positions and you wonder what the point of being full time is when we find ourselves in the position we are currently in; miles off the top and not much better off the teams in 3rd and 4th. Being the lowest-placed full time team in Scotland isn't without its risks as you can end up with the dregs that couldn't get a club elsewhere. In some cases you look at what we have and are in total agreement. 
There is a mental weakness in that squad that's been there since around October 2016. 

I totally agree with the very last sentence here.

However, while I can see why some folk would clamour for part time football, especially under the current form, bearing in mind what we presumably want to be aiming for, namely a decent Championship team, how does that equate?

Alloa, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, Arbroath and Stirling Albion are all examples of teams who in some cases survived in the Championship, but none of them thrived in that division. Or are we claiming we should just go part-time to win the third tier?

That said, there’s a serious malaise at the club, and I’m not sure what the issue is, or how you fix it.

Fingers crossed McGlynn manages it eventually.

On a completely different note to the abject misery on the pitch, the atmosphere today from the people at the back was absolutely fantastic and I hope it continues on in the future. One thing which has been sorely missing from Stark's since 2011/12ish has been a decent atmosphere. People became a bit apathetic and the South Stand didn't really have the same magnetic effect you felt before where we'd apply a lot of pressure shooting towards the home fans. Would be lovely if it carried on. 

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I totally agree with the very last sentence here.

However, while I can see why some folk would clamour for part time football, especially under the current form, bearing in mind what we presumably want to be aiming for, namely a decent Championship team, how does that equate?

Alloa, Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, Arbroath and Stirling Albion are all examples of teams who in some cases survived in the Championship, but none of them thrived in that division. Or are we claiming we should just go part-time to win the third tier?

That said, there’s a serious malaise at the club, and I’m not sure what the issue is, or how you fix it.

Fingers crossed McGlynn manages it eventually.

I agree. I don't think we should go part-time for the reasons outlined, although can see why some may advocate it based on where we currently are. I fear that were we to go part-time, it could be difficult to  revert to full-time football. Finances concern me as it's not clear how long the board will take the hit of being full-time in this league. That game against the Pars has probably saved a complete disaster of a season financially; hopefully a decent turnout v Hibs can also soften the blow. 

I'd have been very comfortable if we'd operated a hybrid model as we did during McGlynn's last spell. Naturally that didn't happen, although i don't know how much it would ultimately have saved anyway. 

No time like the play-offs for the club to turn it around. 

Interesting to hear Sim tonight. He has a lot of plans but the questions have to be (1) are they there right plans, (2) are the achievable, and (3) are they realistic.

All 3 are questionable. We need to make the club sustainable but that's all he seemed to be interested in. No mention in youth or the footballing side which is a worry. Cuthbert was with right in that we need to seriously start look much further forward.

Interesting to hear Sim tonight. He has a lot of plans but the questions have to be (1) are they there right plans, (2) are the achievable, and (3) are they realistic.

All 3 are questionable. We need to make the club sustainable but that's all he seemed to be interested in. No mention in youth or the footballing side which is a worry. Cuthbert was with right in that we need to seriously start look much further forward.

Cuthbert’s article was interesting, but in terms of his points about us lacking a long term plan, surely that’s a Scottish football issue rather than a Raith issue?

Which clubs of our size have a definitive five year plan?

2 hours ago, Frank conner said:

Certainly not desperate for him to fail when Mcglynn left most fans knew it was time to go. I can't remember many being to upset when  he left it just seemed a lot of people were letting their heart rule their head it rarely works out going back. He's making the same mistakes now that he was making during the latter stages of his last time here it just seems some folk can't except when their wrong. 

Spot on Frank

As for who else could we get.This always get trotted out but as there was  no confirmed list of candidates its difficult to give preferences but McGlynn would not have been my prefered option

10 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Cuthbert’s article was interesting, but in terms of his points about us lacking a long term plan, surely that’s a Scottish football issue rather than a Raith issue?

Which clubs of our size have a definitive five year plan?

I refer to my previous  remark regarding a twenty year plan laid out by John Sim

36 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I agree 100%. 

But unfortunately while you have CEOs whose main agenda is a league structure that fulfills the wishes of TV companies (i. e. 4 meetings of the Bigot Brothers) rather than one which allows ambitious clubs to at least try to prosper, then we're all pissing into the wind. 

9 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

On a completely different note to the abject misery on the pitch, the atmosphere today from the people at the back was absolutely fantastic and I hope it continues on in the future. One thing which has been sorely missing from Stark's since 2011/12ish has been a decent atmosphere. People became a bit apathetic and the South Stand didn't really have the same magnetic effect you felt before where we'd apply a lot of pressure shooting towards the home fans. Would be lovely if it carried on. 

2011/12 is around the time I packed my bags and moved to the Main Stand. Just saying. 

11 hours ago, Frank conner said:

When he took over he was the Messiah end off.

8 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Spot on Frank

As for who else could we get.This always get trotted out but as there was  no confirmed list of candidates its difficult to give preferences but McGlynn would not have been my prefered option

End off (think it was meant to be end of, but who can tell)

Spot on.

Can we get a FACT! to slam dunk this eviscerating critique of McGlynn?

Rovers_Lad from memory you weren’t one of McGlynn’s greatest fans last time around so it’s not really surprising you feel the same way now. It wouldn’t surprise me if Frank was also one of McGlynn’s detractors in his previous spell. 

The results haven’t gone the way we would like but as McGlynn agreed to come back, i’d like to think we would give him a bit of time to try and get us back on track.

It’s 4th May 2016. We’ve just won our first ever play-off game beating Hibs 1-0 at Stark’s Park. Everything seems to be going right. Surely Ray will be here for a few years and if we don’t go up this season it’ll probably be next season...

Locke

Yogi

Smith

McGlynn

It’s 4th May 2016. We’ve just won our first ever play-off game beating Hibs 1-0 at Stark’s Park. Everything seems to be going right. Surely Ray will be here for a few years and if we don’t go up this season it’ll probably be next season...
Locke
Yogi
Smith
McGlynn

[emoji23] I think everyone knew United were circling at that point. At our highest point in the last decade we still knew he was off.

That's about a year now since Mckay was dropped so Benedictus and Davidson could be played together. We've done well since then..... 

As much as I am a fan of Mcglynn, if he continues to ignore this its hard to defend him. 

After watching the Forfar highlights im not worried in the slightest. I thought McGlynn would have strengthened your back line but thats obviously not happened. Davidson is more than past it and Wedderburn is non existant when it comes to helping out Gillespie defensively. I would expect another 3 points for East Fife on our next encounter. Mon the Fife