The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

Get John McGlynn to pish in all four corners of the pitch, if that doesn't work it must be superstitious shite.

I seriously doubt that'll do it, we've been pish all over the pitch this season......often!

27 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Cuthbert's interview in the press is excellent, mirrors my feelings on the youth set up almost exactly. Here's a link for those who want to see it: https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers/kevin-cuthbert-short-term-thinking-is-holding-back-raith-rovers-1-4865871

It's a shame he didn't take up the offer to stay on as a coach he would of had something to offer the club.

Aye Cat is spot on regarding the short term-ism regarding the youth and lack of plan.

I do have a major issue with this, however:

"it got them relegated with no structure in place and a club that has gone backwards. That’s not any individual’s fault - not John Hughes, Gary Locke, Eric Drysdale, Alan Young, or whoever. It’s because there’s no structure"

It seems almost trite to state this explicitly but 'Raith Rovers' does not make decisions and cannot create a structure. 'Raith Rovers' is the collection of fans, players and board. It is for the board, and particularly the chief executives (this is what a chief executive is for!) to generate a strategy and work to implement it effectively. If there was no strategy (and clearly there was not) then this is absolutely the fault of key senior board members, Drysdale and Young in particular. i.e. those whose job includes 'strategic planning and operations'! 

P.S. If the role of the chief exec did not explicitly involve strategic, long-term planning then that is also the fault of the chief exec for not recognising this as a priority and doing something about it! Your the chief exec for f**k sake!

I understand both sides of the argument. There has to be an element of short term thinking, as the club is still a business and its difficult to get 1.5k plus people to continue turning up for a few seasons in this level at get them to buy into a “long term thing” if it means mulling around mid table in this league. The club live hand to mouth week to week, and as much as its wanted or needed, it can be very, very difficult to break that cycle. 

The youth thing is also a double edged one too. These guys get experience by playing games, but we don’t have the luxury this season of that really. 

I would agree that we aren’t any smaller a club than many who have gone on to much better things in recent years, and at the risk of sounding arrogant, that really isn’t good enough. 

It all comes down to the Locke era though – that season has set this club back years, and the fact that he genuinely thought he could win the league speaks volumes about the whole incident. You need a solid foundation if you want to build something and we haven’t really had that.  I doubt Hamilton, St Johnstone et al had the financial cluster f**k we have when building again. 

Cuthbert always came across really well, but I think he made a mistake for his own career development by not being willing to remain as a coach and work alongside a couple of much more experienced managers/coaches at this level. He showed in his brief tenure that he badly needed that.

Edited by CALDERON

Anyone able to remind me why an at-the-time Scottish Championship side thought it needed a CEO? In terms of structure we had a CEO and a board; the same basic structure as you'd expect from a large company. I don't agree with Cuthbert that there was no structure: the structure was there but no structure can mitigate having some incompetents in place.  

Regarding a long term plan, perhaps the best way to execute that is to not hire a manager who was fired from his last two jobs for being hopeless? Perhaps also you could ensure that the CEO tries to engage with the fans rather than regularly patronising/insulting them? Perhaps you could also not loan a striker to a club 4 points beneath you in the table? Maybe you can also make sure that the SPFL board member who is also your CEO actually knows the fucking rules and can get a goalkeeper in before you need to go and face your relegation rivals with a fucking midfielder in goal? 

Fucking Drysdale. c**t.  

Edited by Michael W

Looking forward to see how much tickets are sold for the Scottish Cup today and tomorrow for people buying them at the game. I bought mine today because I got paid today, thought most folk get paid last Friday of the month. 1500 by Monday? Amazing so far. Love the updates on social media.

Mrs is getting sick of me telling her every time we have sold 100 tickets or so [emoji24]

That shirts a belter, your right though the red stitching was better. I think it's all about when you start watching the team for me it was the early nineties and that was the badge so it will always be my preferred choice. WBA have gone with the diagonal letters on their away shirt this season like every club had in the seventies us included maybe they could do that on a top for a wee change.

Aye I’m fully backing the change of badge idea, I absolutely buzz off the old style badge but more particularly with the red stitching, like this on one of my retro tops...

IMG_9448.thumb.jpg.d5fd1acd0d6cab68e603e083a87981d4.jpg
This type of badge got caught up in the fuss about heraldic law. The badge we use now has been in the club for a very long time. It IS the old badge and is inlaid on the floor in the hallway.

I’m not too sure about the whole ‘the club needs a long term plan’ thing.

I think the rightful place for Raith Rovers would be a championship club that chases a playoff place. Obviously just now we are massively underachieving anything more than the above and you’d have to call it an over achievement.

Saying things like ‘there’s no strategy in place to move the club forward’ is just an empty statement...