The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

McGlynn was dealt a bad hand with the squad Smith left him and he's had further bad luck with injuries since but I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect us to be within 6-7 points of Arbroath at this stage. Certainly less than 10 anyway. The fact that even Barry Smith could work out how to cause us problems is kind of a damning indictment, although I suppose you could argue he should be more aware of our weaknesses than anyone.
The summer window will be vital for McGlynn because I doubt he'll be afforded the luxury of a stuttering start next season.

I'm also in agreement with this.

Barry Smith was shite and should've been papped oot at the end of last season when we failed to get promoted which would've allowed a new manager the summer to build his squad. What Smith put together was an imbalanced shambles .

Whether or not McGlynn is the man remains to be seen but he is unlikely to have "his squad" until the start of next season. There's also very much the possibility that could be in the championship, the 3 other clubs likely to be in the playoffs will be no great shakes either. The focus should be on developing a team and tactics that can win the play-offs at the end of the season.

Sorry but I don't buy this 'McGlynn was left with Smiths squad' as an excuse for the poor results since he's came in. These players should be more than capable of handling themselves in League 1 with McGlynn at the helm.

I actually think we generally play much better than last season, despite a few results - we should’ve on the balance of play and chances won arguably all of our defeats, EF at home probably the exception to that when we were genuinely outplayed. We dominate games with possession, territory, chances, etc - something we really didn’t do from about September on last season, save a period around Christmas and New Year.

But we fail to win 50% of our games. That isn’t a hard luck story, that’s a consistent pattern, and it comes out of the way we defend. Brechin had two chances to execute a counter attack from a Rovers set piece and got their winner from it, the same way Montrose did. McGlynn has identified that in his interviews, which is encouraging at least.

Will he do anything about it? Remains to be seen. We simply have to change the way we defend away from home. Ayr played a similar way to the way we are right now and lost a hell of a lot of goals, but had an uncanny ability to outscore the opposition on any given day. We don’t seem to manage that so we need to look at something different or this will undoubtedly continue.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Sorry but I don't buy this 'McGlynn was left with Smiths squad' as an excuse for the poor results since he's came in. These players should be more than capable of handling themselves in League 1 with McGlynn at the helm.

Yep,much the way I see it

It’s a combination of factors.

- We don’t have the best squad in the league, so we wont win the league. 

- Vaughan (And possibly Hendry) are two of the best players in this league, we haven’t had either for any reasonable period.

- The squad isn’t balanced

- Defensively the team is a mess, and Mcglynn does not seem to be addressing it

- We play with two wingers all of the time – again Mcglynn keeps persisting with this

- Senior, experienced players are not delivering – Gillespie, Wedderburn, Benedictus, Davidson – all far too inconsistent.

- General malaise around the club – 2 (now likely 3) seasons of failure.

- Full time not making any real difference – no real attributable difference in fitness, set piece organisation etc

- Team are too “soft” – especially away from home, where our record over the past 2 and bit seasons is, frankly, disgusting.

Some of the blame lies with Smith/board, some lies with Mcglynn, some lies with the players. Not one reason why we are where we are, but the only man who can change it really is Mcglynn and he needs to be given the time to do that and at least have a squad he can call “his”, in my opinion. 

Also the fact is Arbroaths form is superb. Whilst we should be closer, we likely wouldn't be top anyway.  However since we beat them they have stopped another 5 points, and we still find ourselves further back. 

Harsh reality is they we are are an average to decent league 1 side, no more. Being full time is in theory the right thing to do, but it's not going to make an average, unbalanced squad any better, especially with some very well run part time sides at this level. It's not a golden key to winning this league, it's just that every other full time team in this league has actually approached it properly and got out of it. 

Edited by CALDERON

Why? These players weren’t capable of handling themselves in league 1 with Smith at the helm?

33 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Why? These players weren’t capable of handling themselves in league 1 with Smith at the helm?

Well we're on track to lose out on the title this season by a pretty high margin, to a part time team I hasten to add, in comparison to last season. You make it sound like the bulk of the squad that played last season were a million miles away from being league winners. We were the width of the post away from being Champions, if anything the team faired better last season under Smith than they are under McGlynn so far. 

4 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Well we're on track to lose out on the title this season by a pretty high margin, to a part time team I hasten to add, in comparison to last season. You make it sound like the bulk of the squad that played last season were a million miles away from being league winners. We were the width of the post away from being Champions, if anything the team faired better last season under Smith than they are under McGlynn so far. 

Whilst then going on to be completely bodied by a part time side in the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Whilst then going on to be completely bodied by a part time side in the playoffs. 

Yes that was surprising seen as we have a rather good record in the playoffs after all...

Edited by Raithie

55 minutes ago, Raithie said:

As you say,width of the post from being Champions  and ultimately pipped at the post for the league by 1 point by Ayr who were/ are a far better team than Arbroath or any other team in our division at present

Edited by Rovers_Lad

16 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

It's not beyond the rovers to fail to get to the playoffs if that were to happen no excuse would be acceptable. 

We're 9 points ahead of Airdrie with a +17 goal difference over them. It would need to be a total collapse. Worth noting, the teams below us regularly drop points to each other too.

The width of a post thing annoys me. Yes, if it went the other side we’d be champions but that game wasn’t some hard luck story nor was our season.

We played our usual punt after punt and I can’t remember thinking at any point that a goal was coming.

The bigger factor in us missing out on the league was our inability to take more than 2 points from a possible 12 away to a very poor Forfar (at the time) and Albion Rovers. Add that to the fact we only won 1 out of 4 against Ayr (including 2 drubbings).

Edited by R.R.FC

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

In all honesty, we should have absolutely strolled the league last season.

30 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

The width of a post thing annoys me. Yes, if it went the other side we’d be champions but that game wasn’t some hard luck story nor was our season.

We played our usual punt after punt and I can’t remember thinking at any point that a goal was coming.

The bigger factor in us missing out on the league was our inability to take more than 2 points from a possible 12 away to a very poor Forfar (at the time) and Albion Rovers. Add that to the fact we only won 1 out of 4 against Ayr (including 2 drubbings).

We were also miles clear in Feb, should have seen that out really. 

43 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We're 9 points ahead of Airdrie with a +17 goal difference over them. It would need to be a total collapse. Worth noting, the teams below us regularly drop points to each other too.

This ^^^^^^, spot on.

But, hey, don't let facts get in the way of others contrived "girns"...........;)

Edited by Wee Sandy

51 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

In all honesty, we should have absolutely strolled the league last season.

Tbf, if we'd had a competent manager, I'd have said the same for us. Ayr were by far and away worthy winners over the course of the season, but we let ourselves down with our one dimensional guff and horrendous away record under Smith.

Onto more important matters.

http://www.raithrovers.net/38462/arrangements-for-scottish-cup-tie.htm

Great effort from the club to subsidise travel, £25 for a ticket and travel is very good value. Can’t see us selling 1900 tickets but I suppose you never know.

Presumably it’ll be allocated seating?

Tell you what that is some thinking and praise needs to go out for this one. £5 return is insanely cheap considering its 11.20 to get there by stagecoach. Great work