The New Raith Rovers Thread

Raith fans need to take off their rose-tinted glasses when it comes to McGlynn. If this was any other manager there would be calls for a sacking, yet nothing is his fault, he can do no wrong. We are closer to dropping out of the play offs than to top spot and the ways things are going it's going to be a tight battle for the top 4.  He has lost one third of his games in charge, that is not good enough. 

My name and picture were decided upon before he was unveiled in that dreadful video on the website.  He is still a legend for what he achieved in his first spell and i will never forget the memories and the wonderful moments his teams created but the decision to appoint him was wrong and a backwards step. 

4 minutes ago, He's Got No Hair said:

Raith fans need to take off their rose-tinted glasses when it comes to McGlynn. If this was any other manager there would be calls for a sacking, yet nothing is his fault, he can do no wrong. We are closer to dropping out of the play offs than to top spot and the ways things are going it's going to be a tight battle for the top 4.  He has lost one third of his games in charge, that is not good enough. 

My name and picture were decided upon before he was unveiled in that dreadful video on the website.  He is still a legend for what he achieved in his first spell and i will never forget the memories and the wonderful moments his teams created but the decision to appoint him was wrong and a backwards step. 

In five short lines you have a go at Raith fans, John McGlynn, Raith TV for their 'dreadful video' and finally the board for appointing McGlynn in the first place.

Who is it that you support again?

Biggest problem is that the team is powder puff!

Not nearly enough heart, need to be showing every week that same attitude on display against the Pars last week. Some clearly do care but some look like they couldn't give a toss.  But for me the biggest issue is that there is nobody really dominant in the side.  Wedderburn uses his physique to good effect but any advantage gained is immediately lost as his passing is pish!  The other 3 bigger lads ie Davo, Bene and Duggan are ok against smaller players but in this league there are some big hoofers and our boys just can't match up against them.

You understand how ridiculous you’re coming across on here by suggesting a manager being sacked after just 3 months in the job? whilst we’re sitting in second place, with the injury troubles he’s had to contend with :lol:

1 hour ago, He's Got No Hair said:

I’m sorry your talking out your rear end , I too are disappointed especially since I went to Brechin however it’s not John Mcglynn squad and look what he was left with a team with one winger no natural right back , midfield in tatters due to an Imbalance and injuries what’s he meant to do he’s stuck with the guys he’s got. Also Arbroath are having an incredible season with no injuries can you imagine them without Bobby Linn, Gavin Swankie and Tam O’Brien missing for up to 8 weeks think you would find they wouldn’t be 13 points clear for starters.

I wouldn’t say I was a huge fan of Mcglynn coming back but certainly he can’t be blamed for our current predictament and if we were in as good as position as last season Mcglynn would have had us playing in the championship  this year 100% . IMO the blame lies with Eric Drysdale and Alan Young regarding there numerous poor decisions which have put the club back years

Blaming  the Rover support for the anything and everything to do with the clubs woes

Appointing Gary Locke as manager

Loaning out Lewis Vaughan to our rivals

Not signing a Goalie when they had plenty of time to do so in regards to the Ayr midweek game

Appointing Barry Smith as manager when his record was horrific 

Keeping Barry Smith this season when he blew the league last season whilst in a great position

39 minutes ago, basher brash said:

I’m sorry your talking out your rear end , I too are disappointed especially since I went to Brechin however it’s not John Mcglynn squad and look what he was left with a team with one winger no natural right back , midfield in tatters due to an Imbalance and injuries what’s he meant to do he’s stuck with the guys he’s got. Also Arbroath are having an incredible season with no injuries can you imagine them without Bobby Linn, Gavin Swankie and Tam O’Brien missing for up to 8 weeks think you would find they wouldn’t be 13 points clear for starters.

I wouldn’t say I was a huge fan of Mcglynn coming back but certainly he can’t be blamed for our current predictament and if we were in as good as position as last season Mcglynn would have had us playing in the championship  this year 100% . IMO the blame lies with Eric Drysdale and Alan Young regarding there numerous poor decisions which have put the club back years

Blaming  the Rover support for the anything and everything to do with the clubs woes

Appointing Gary Locke as manager

Loaning out Lewis Vaughan to our rivals

Not signing a Goalie when they had plenty of time to do so in regards to the Ayr midweek game

Appointing Barry Smith as manager when his record was horrific 

Keeping Barry Smith this season when he blew the league last season whilst in a great position

You missed out the signing of a 37 year old on huge wages who hadn't played any meaningful football for 3 seasons and was physically incapable of playing 90 minutes in Scotland's 2nd tier. 

On 01/08/2018 at 11:06, He's Got No Hair said:

This team is build on the personality of the manager...monotonous.  How many times last season were we outplayed by teams coming to Stark's trying to pass the ball, with an extra man in the middle, working our two in the midfield with ease. We were happy to sit deep and let them have the ball, we should be dominating teams form the get go, getting them turned, forcing them into mistakes and showing our dominance. Instead we watched insipid, boring football, just getting over the line with bits of individual skill.

When it came to making tactical changes for example in the play off games against Alloa he stuck with the same team in the first leg and the same formation when it was clear that we needed to shift to a 3 man midfield.  Is it too much to ask of a manager to be able to adapt his tactics against certain opposition? Does he have any skills as a manager? He seemingly can't even motivate the troops or get them to respect him and follow a simple on pitch instruction. 

And now after what I thought was a decent few signings in Gillespie, Duggan and Wedderburn, he signs one winger (who has never been seen) on a six month deal and that is it.  So now surely Smith has a plan in mind, a new formation with the players he has signed?? No, think again. He then plays four centre backs in the back four of a 4-4-2 and we lost to the worst professional team in Scotland.

He does change formation for the next game however from the 4-4-2 to the 4-1-4-1 and this works relatively well against a very poor Hearts team  'That worked well' Smith thinks as he then plays the same formation in Inverness and a narrow 2-1 defeat follows. Not one to change things and confuse the poor players.. he decides to play this same formation against Cove Rangers...and we muster about 4 shots on goal and get outplayed.  

What is next for Smith and Raith? A long journey to Stranraer, a team that has recently been pumped by Clyde and Edinburgh City, conceding seven goals.  Surely a chance to erase the joke a Betfred Cup campaign with a good win in our first game of the season, get a few fans back onside and get a decent crowd for the plastic pitch ribbon cutting on the 11th? Or will it be a 4-1-4-1 with Buchanan chasing hopeless long balls and the much maligned Isaac Layne bagging a double in a thoroughly dreadful 2-0 defeat? 

Not a fan of Smith either.

7 hours ago, He's Got No Hair said:

McGlynn is a fraud. He has come back as some sort of messiah however was a pathetic, backwards appointment by the board to appease the fans.

He pretends he wants to play passing football and in his mind, having the centre backs split at a goal kick and the keeper to play it short only for them to then punt it constitutes a passing game. At least Barry Smith knew what he was and how he wanted his team to play and didn't pretend we were something else.  He knew what it took to wins games at this level and took us a hell of a lot closer to promotion than we will with McGlynn. 

We only lost five games under Smith all season and have now lost 5 since McGlynn took over, four of which we were in a winning position. We have lost our unbeaten home run in the league and lost to East Fife twice!

He has been away from management for six years and has forgotten the things that made his teams successful in the past.  He is past it and should never have been appointed in the first place let alone backed significantly by the board. Being allowed to bring in an assistant, numerous signings, 18 month contracts for our highest earners…

You’ve had your time, it's over. Where are we going to be in 18 months’ time after his contract has expired? Still in league 1 is my guess and back to square 1 with no manager and no plan. 

Oh...now Smith is a good guy. All it took was for him to leave. 

I’m no apologist or happy camper. But McGlynn is working with Barry F Smith’s players. He can only impart what he wants the players to do in his preparations, unfortunately the squad aren’t capable or good enough to heed the instruction. If we don’t go up through the play offs which will be very likely. I’d like to see what McGlynn and the board do next season.

42 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

You missed out the signing of a 37 year old on huge wages who hadn't played any meaningful football for 3 seasons and was physically incapable of playing 90 minutes in Scotland's 2nd tier. 

Oops sorry specky ginger another one to the list

Much as I love a good bashing of Locke and Drysdale, their shitshow was two seasons ago. We were relegated in shambolic curcumstances and that's the end of that. What mattered was that we took it on the chin and got promoted again. 

We didn't. The team botted it when handed the title on a plate and then shat themselves in the play-off as usual. Smith did not achieve what he was brought in to do and should've been fired at the season's end.

This season we are the only full time team in the league and really should be doing better. Granted we wouldn't be top given Arbroath's form, we should be in touching distance.  Keeping Smith was a huge error - he built the squad with the poor balance and also presided over a ridiculous injury crisis most probably attributable to his training. Anyway, he left and Cuthbert took over briefly - I get we were trying to give him a chance, but that backfired. 

McGlynn has largely been disappointing but let's not kid ourselves about Smith: there was enough to see that things weren't right. 

Is McGlynn the man to take us up? Genuinely not sure. We'll be facing at least one other full time team if we do our usual in the play-offs, and either one/ both will outspend us with ease. 

21 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Oh...now Smith is a good guy. All it took was for him to leave. 

Hes got no hair has to realise Barry Smith is a clown and even though Rovers were poor we should have had Brechin buried, Smiths tactics 10 men behind the ball punt up the park to the one man strike force and hope for the best but I suppose that highlights how woeful we were at the back on Saturday . Incidently Brechin has a injury crisis wonder if that’s anything to do with Smith

53 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Is McGlynn the man to take us up? Genuinely not sure. We'll be facing at least one other full time team if we do our usual in the play-offs, and either one/ both will outspend us with ease. 

Falkirk/Partick/Morton/Dunfermline coming down would be a bit of a disaster for us assuming as you say we do our usual in the play offs. 

However, there’s no guarantee we’ll be facing at least 1 other full time side next year. It’s still entirely possible, although looking unlikely at the moment, that Alloa are the ones relegated automatically. 

Our youth players are insane on FM. Currently playing in season 26/27,  winning the PL multiple times and getting to the Semi of the CL. Berry, Valentine, McKay, and Vaughan still regularly feature!

Vaughan fucked off and left me, not going to lie I was heartbroken! Nisbet has progressed well for me. First season in the premier league scored 35 goals all comps

I’m sorry your talking out your rear end , I too are disappointed especially since I went to Brechin however it’s not John Mcglynn squad and look what he was left with a team with one winger no natural right back , midfield in tatters due to an Imbalance and injuries what’s he meant to do he’s stuck with the guys he’s got.

Serious question, do you think on top of that there is a psychological issue away from home? Possibly due to the home form being as good as it was. The more we were winning at home, the more confident we became? And then when we were losing a lot away from home, the nerves and fear creep in that maybe wasn’t there at starks? Just a thought, not blaming it solely on that.

Vaughan fucked off and left me, not going to lie I was heartbroken! Nisbet has progressed well for me. First season in the premier league scored 35 goals all comps

Going to force him to retire with me. He’s on close to 400 games with 150 goals on my save. Only worth £4M in his old age [emoji22]

McGlynn was dealt a bad hand with the squad Smith left him and he's had further bad luck with injuries since but I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect us to be within 6-7 points of Arbroath at this stage. Certainly less than 10 anyway. The fact that even Barry Smith could work out how to cause us problems is kind of a damning indictment, although I suppose you could argue he should be more aware of our weaknesses than anyone.
The summer window will be vital for McGlynn because I doubt he'll be afforded the luxury of a stuttering start next season.

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

McGlynn was dealt a bad hand with the squad Smith left him and he's had further bad luck with injuries since but I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect us to be within 6-7 points of Arbroath at this stage. Certainly less than 10 anyway. The fact that even Barry Smith could work out how to cause us problems is kind of a damning indictment, although I suppose you could argue he should be more aware of our weaknesses than anyone.
The summer window will be vital for McGlynn because I doubt he'll be afforded the luxury of a stuttering start next season.

Pretty much this. 

Really the board should have binned Smith after the playoffs. He really shouldn't have trusted to build a squad on a lower budget when he'd made such a mess of things the season before.