The New Raith Rovers Thread

McGlynn is a fraud. He has come back as some sort of messiah however was a pathetic, backwards appointment by the board to appease the fans.

He pretends he wants to play passing football and in his mind, having the centre backs split at a goal kick and the keeper to play it short only for them to then punt it constitutes a passing game. At least Barry Smith knew what he was and how he wanted his team to play and didn't pretend we were something else.  He knew what it took to wins games at this level and took us a hell of a lot closer to promotion than we will with McGlynn. 

We only lost five games under Smith all season and have now lost 5 since McGlynn took over, four of which we were in a winning position. We have lost our unbeaten home run in the league and lost to East Fife twice!

He has been away from management for six years and has forgotten the things that made his teams successful in the past.  He is past it and should never have been appointed in the first place let alone backed significantly by the board. Being allowed to bring in an assistant, numerous signings, 18 month contracts for our highest earners…

You’ve had your time, it's over. Where are we going to be in 18 months’ time after his contract has expired? Still in league 1 is my guess and back to square 1 with no manager and no plan. 

McGlynn is a fraud. He has come back as some sort of messiah however was a pathetic, backwards appointment by the board to appease the fans.

He pretends he wants to play passing football and in his mind, having the centre backs split at a goal kick and the keeper to play it short only for them to then punt it constitutes a passing game. At least Barry Smith knew what he was and how he wanted his team to play and didn't pretend we were something else.  He knew what it took to wins games at this level and took us a hell of a lot closer to promotion than we will with McGlynn. 

We only lost five games under Smith all season and have now lost 5 since McGlynn took over, four of which we were in a winning position. We have lost our unbeaten home run in the league and lost to East Fife twice!

He has been away from management for six years and has forgotten the things that made his teams successful in the past.  He is past it and should never have been appointed in the first place let alone backed significantly by the board. Being allowed to bring in an assistant, numerous signings, 18 month contracts for our highest earners…

You’ve had your time, it's over. Where are we going to be in 18 months’ time after his contract has expired? Still in league 1 is my guess and back to square 1 with no manager and no plan. 

Wow settle doon min

Barry Smith knew how he wanted his team to play, did he? In the year n a bit he was with us, I never knew once how he wanted us to play. A long ball up to Liam Buchanan doesn’t count as a style of play. The only reason we got so close is that our shite was better than the opposing shite (majority of the time).

Smith never once pretended his teams played passing football whilst watching Iain Davidson hump it up field after receiving a short goal kick.  It's all about getting out of this league and winning games. The football we have played has always been poor, Smith and McGlynn in both his spells played this way.

McGlynn has had months to improve the players with his wonderful analysis and training and yet we are worse than when he arrived. 

11 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I'd blame your board, you're side were nowhere near a league winning side last season regardless of league positions and points totals, as such they should have punted Smith immediately after the playoffs and allowed someone to build their own team, easy for me to say but I do believe your board and some of your fans let league positions cloud their judgement on exactly where Rovers were as a team last season.

While we were playing well within ourselves for most of the season it did become apparent that Deadeye Dick was building a side capable of winning League One, I thought they'd stroll the playoffs until Goodwin decided to hand all his players a huge pair.

While he doesn't play the style I want to see I've no doubt McGlynn will build a team that gets to the Championship, who knows Dick used to play the same football, McGlynn might even build a side that does play my sort of football down the line.

Anyway all the best for the rest of the season and hopefully wee McGuffie finds his mojo at Starks and helps turn you into a playoff winning team, this Championship ain't as great as some like to think, Arbroath will compete with most next season unless all the sides improve drastically.

Agree with all of this regarding Smith and last season. However, this McGlynn side is totally different to the sides you played against previously. When we are on form we are very easy on the eye and we have played some good attacking football this season.

However, this has meant we can be extremely open at times particularly away from home. We don’t have that gritty, ruthless streak that used to be JM’s signature. We are incredibly soft centred. We need to try and find the right balance quickly but we don’t have the personnel to play the McGlynn Mark 1 way currently.

14 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

Not going by Saturday's performance. 

What about the Saturday before? Barry Smith masterminded a 3-0 defeat to Peterhead, and 2-0 defeats against Cove Rangers and Cowdenbeath as well as a couple of 3-0 demolitions at Somerset. I’ve not seen anything nearly that bad from JM yet.

The Barry Smith revisionism is hilarious. Last season has been done to death but even this season we lost to Cove, Cowdenbeath and failed to beat East Fife and Stranraer. We were incredibly lucky to draw with East Fife and even luckier to win at Airdrie where any other day we’d have suffered the 3-1 defeat we deserved. And that was all before he left at the start of September!

Barry Smith left when he did because he knew he couldn’t keep that team near the top so got out while his stock was at its highest. The football under him was horrendous. The results haven’t been what we hoped or expected for under McGlynn but I certainly enjoy watching us at Stark’s a lot more now. 

Should McGlynn be doing better? Probably. Would Smith be doing better? No chance.

Edited by R.R.FC

18 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Agree with all of this regarding Smith and last season. However, this McGlynn side is totally different to the sides you played against previously. When we are on form we are very easy on the eye and we have played some good attacking football this season.

However, this has meant we can be extremely open at times particularly away from home. We don’t have that gritty, ruthless streak that used to be JM’s signature. We are incredibly soft centred. We need to try and find the right balance quickly but we don’t have the personnel to play the McGlynn Mark 1 way currently.

Obviously haven't watched you this season but sounds like you might only need the right 2 or 3 players to rectify that rather than a complete overhaul.

Calm down

Is ‘He’s Got No Hair’ the new ‘Superhans’, is this the start of a new complete meltdown and could turn in to comedy gold

I find it ironic that ‘He’s Got No Hair’ and has a picture of McGlynn on his avatar a bit misleading. Is he at the wind up?

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

What about the Saturday before? Barry Smith masterminded a 3-0 defeat to Peterhead, and 2-0 defeats against Cove Rangers and Cowdenbeath as well as a couple of 3-0 demolitions at Somerset. I’ve not seen anything nearly that bad from JM yet.

The Barry Smith revisionism is hilarious. Last season has been done to death but even this season we lost to Cove, Cowdenbeath and failed to beat East Fife and Stranraer. We were incredibly lucky to draw with East Fife and even luckier to win at Airdrie where any other day we’d have suffered the 3-1 defeat we deserved. And that was all before he left at the start of September!

Barry Smith left when he did because he knew he couldn’t keep that team near the top so got out while his stock was at its highest. The football under him was horrendous. The results haven’t been what we hoped or expected for under McGlynn but I certainly enjoy watching us at Stark’s a lot more now. 

Should McGlynn be doing better? Probably. Would Smith be doing better? No chance.

I'm happy to give McGlynn the benefit of the doubt on a lot of it. He's certainly let down by a lot of players who failed to produce consistently. We've got two defensive midfielders in the middle,  but keep getting picked off on counter attacks. One thing which I found hugely frustrating was the number of times we had everyone near the penalty box at a corner, only for the ball to bounce about and end up at the edge of the area with two red shirts waiting to clear it.

We've got a horrendous imbalance in our team. Dingwall looked solid enough in the first half on Saturday, but was very quiet in the second. Flanagan has gone completely off the boil since he signed a new contract, and we'll ideally drop him for McGuffie. Losing Vaughan doesn't help the situation. But defensively, something needs to change. I'd be happy to see Lyness come in, and for us to shuffle things up at the back. Sadly, for whatever reason McKay keeps getting overlooked even if we're looking at potential injuries (where Watson seems to get brought on).

McGlynn will get us in the right direction. He's nowhere near as bad as Smith as you say. At least we're making an effort under McGlynn away from home. The final game at Somerset last season was the epitome of how Smith was directionless for us. 2-0 down and we still played Furtado up top on his own.

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm happy to give McGlynn the benefit of the doubt on a lot of it. He's certainly let down by a lot of players who failed to produce consistently. We've got two defensive midfielders in the middle,  but keep getting picked off on counter attacks. One thing which I found hugely frustrating was the number of times we had everyone near the penalty box at a corner, only for the ball to bounce about and end up at the edge of the area with two red shirts waiting to clear it.

We've got a horrendous imbalance in our team. Dingwall looked solid enough in the first half on Saturday, but was very quiet in the second. Flanagan has gone completely off the boil since he signed a new contract, and we'll ideally drop him for McGuffie. Losing Vaughan doesn't help the situation. But defensively, something needs to change. I'd be happy to see Lyness come in, and for us to shuffle things up at the back. Sadly, for whatever reason McKay keeps getting overlooked even if we're looking at potential injuries (where Watson seems to get brought on).

McGlynn will get us in the right direction. He's nowhere near as bad as Smith as you say. At least we're making an effort under McGlynn away from home. The final game at Somerset last season was the epitome of how Smith was directionless for us. 2-0 down and we still played Furtado up top on his own.

Yeah, I would agree with all of that. I’m still 100% behind McGlynn and think given time he will sort the problems and get us where we want to go. It’s just a shame he didn’t have last summer to build the team he wanted. Smith building his team and then leaving 5 games in has really hampered us.

Totally agree also regarding the balance, I think a James Craigen type wide midfielder who can tuck inside when defending would really help with that rather than two out and out wingers. 

I’d give Lyness a shot on Saturday and I’d be tempted to try Wedderburn at CB in place of Davo. Forfar is the only home game I’ve missed but by all accounts he was solid there for that game. Would then put Matthews in midfield to replace Nat which would give us a bit more energy and pace in there. Would also replace Flanagan with McGuffie. 

JM has tended to change personnel after a defeat and get a positive immediate response but then the same failures repeat themselves not too far down the line. I think a more fundamental change in terms of our set up is required to sustain any kind of turnaround in form.

Least we have so quality young players in the team with Nisbet, Vaughan, Dingwall (promising so far) Matthews, McKay and Flanagan if he can get up and running again, Milne was like 22 (let go) Even Chris Duggan who looks about 30 is only 24 (25 in 2 days) . I’m sure there might be some I’ve missed but hopefully these players can mature into something great. Only realised how young because of Football Manager 2019

41 minutes ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Least we have so quality young players in the team with Nisbet, Vaughan, Dingwall (promising so far) Matthews, McKay and Flanagan if he can get up and running again, Milne was like 22 (let go) Even Chris Duggan who looks about 30 is only 24 (25 in 2 days) . I’m sure there might be some I’ve missed but hopefully these players can mature into something great. Only realised how young because of Football Manager 2019

Our youth players are insane on FM. Currently playing in season 26/27,  winning the PL multiple times and getting to the Semi of the CL. Berry, Valentine, McKay, and Vaughan still regularly feature!