The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Going to sound stupid here but was the flares thrown by pars fans or home support?

No place for it in football. Glad to see one idiot arrested anyhow.

They were thrown from the home end and they certainly weren't fans, fans wouldn't do that.

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers/former-wolves-winger-daniel-armstrong-set-to-decide-on-raith-rovers-future-1-4859939?fbclid=IwAR3SUyJnkLQUTnHLd7BqCbDlCu7NxvilcjlIeHH7c_S8Re0Xay8PfbZYIVw

Been common knowledge for a bit but FFP confirming Armstrong is moving on.  On one hand you wish the lad well but on the other its frustrating.  So much for repaying McGlynn and the club for giving him a chance.

Tony Dingwall has looked the part so hopefully this doesn't disrupt us too much 

12 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

Dingwall said on Raith TV that he prefers the left hand side. Thats where his assist came vs Airdrie even though he was supposed to be Right Wing replacement for Armstrong. Can flanny play on the right? (not that he has been 'playing' well) So as JM said a couple weeks back he wants competition and 3 wingers, although Lewis Vaughan can technically be a winger you seen what damage he can do beinnd the striker so i would love to see a new right winger, should probably be our main target in my opinion, main question is who?

In five years, that's the first I've heard of Tony Dingwall saying that.  I daresay it'll come as some surprise to his former managers as well, as nobody seems to have the first clue where his best position is.  In theory, he has all the attributes to play as a 10, but he's played in at least four different positions and never really excelled in any of them.  A run in one position might be exactly what he needs.  

4 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers/former-wolves-winger-daniel-armstrong-set-to-decide-on-raith-rovers-future-1-4859939?fbclid=IwAR3SUyJnkLQUTnHLd7BqCbDlCu7NxvilcjlIeHH7c_S8Re0Xay8PfbZYIVw

Been common knowledge for a bit but FFP confirming Armstrong is moving on.  On one hand you wish the lad well but on the other its frustrating.  So much for repaying McGlynn and the club for giving him a chance.

Tony Dingwall has looked the part so hopefully this doesn't disrupt us too much 

Was it not regarded as a bit of a coup when Raith signed him?  I seem to recall folk being quite surprised he made such a big drop, but perhaps it was always with this kind of thing in mind.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Was it not regarded as a bit of a coup when Raith signed him?  I seem to recall folk being quite surprised he made such a big drop, but perhaps it was always with this kind of thing in mind.

I think the fact he came through the Wolves academy there was some excitement.  Took a couple games for the buzz around him to be created.  There was some question marks though think thats why he only got a short term deal.  Not worked in our favour this time.

Got to say though Tony Dingwall has looked very good the last 2 games.

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He had been without a club for 6 months I think. 

He's done well, and is absolutely unplayable at his best. However he's been here two months and had a share of quiet games as well. He will be a miss, but not irreplaceable. 

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Not so much. He'd featured a few times for Dunfermline last year, but not to any great acclaim, and they didn't come knocking again after Wolves released him. Impressed enough after a couple of closed door games to be given a short term deal, but you can see why he was unattached in October. On the one hand he's fast, and as importantly has fast feet  and good close control and can absolutely savage even a couple of league 1 defenders in a tight spot. On the other hand his reading of the game is naive at best and at worst he's just plain greedy, as well as being very physically lightweight and has very little bite to his game(a problem that afflicts Flanagan as well). Against the Pars he was marked out of the game and didn't look at all interested in a fight to try and get into the game.

Get him one on one with a championship full back with space behind the defender and your laughing. Ask him to pull any more weight than that and I don't think he has it in him. He'll have a bit of a grace period while folk work him out, but he definitely needs to add to his game to move forward. 

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

In five years, that's the first I've heard of Tony Dingwall saying that.  I daresay it'll come as some surprise to his former managers as well, as nobody seems to have the first clue where his best position is.  In theory, he has all the attributes to play as a 10, but he's played in at least four different positions and never really excelled in any of them.  A run in one position might be exactly what he needs.  

Tbf, without meaning to demean any other team at this level (because we're just as bad) but every defence at this level barring Arbroath look like they're liable to fold like a wet paper bag. There's plenty of teams who look good going forwards, but pretty much every team has had some calamitous moments in defence. The number of goals we've scored as a result of errors from opposition players in the last two years has been ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if Dingwall gets a chance to kick on

As for McGuffie, I've got no recollection of him at all from the games we've played against Ayr. Tbh, if McGlynn thinks he'll add to the team then I'm comfortable he'd be a good addition.

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Tbf, without meaning to demean any other team at this level (because we're just as bad) but every defence at this level barring Arbroath look like they're liable to fold like a wet paper bag. There's plenty of teams who look good going forwards, but pretty much every team has had some calamitous moments in defence. The number of goals we've scored as a result of errors from opposition players in the last two years has been ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if Dingwall gets a chance to kick on

As for McGuffie, I've got no recollection of him at all from the games we've played against Ayr. Tbh, if McGlynn thinks he'll add to the team then I'm comfortable he'd be a good addition.

Wouldn't surprise me, either.  Definitely a player in there, somewhere.  

Armstrong has probably had as many poor games for us as he has good. I guess even on his poor days, he can still skip by defenders but he turned exceptionally greedy on the back of a few goals.

Interested to see how he gets on. After the last two or three games I’ve been wondering if he just had a good streak of form and has reverted to the player that couldn’t get a game for Dunfermline - but maybe he just had his move sewn up and didn’t want injured. Who knows.

Certainly he’ll be a big loss. Flanagan now needs to step up because he’s been very, very poor over the past few weeks/months.