The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

So what do we reckon - in as a starter or as backup to Thomson?

I had assumed any keeper we got in would be back up to Thomson but Lyness seemed to do pretty well at St Mirren and was playing ahead of Danny Rogers. Can’t see him dropping 2 divisions to be back up.

On 14/01/2019 at 07:39, Big Fifer said:

Listening to Off the Ball on Saturday Cosgrove was saying St Johnstone were interested in two players, one a player from Raith, you'd have to guess it's Armstrong or Vaughan.

We were linked with Armstrong about a month ago, no chance we'd pay money for Vaughan, not because of his ability, just because we don't pay fees.

FWIW we regularly have players at this level scouted and it comes to nothing. Rory McKeown was heavily scouted, with Wright even going to watch him, but we never made a move. 

Armstrong would be coming in as 3rd or 4th choice winger too, not convinced that would appeal to him.

What's happening with the boy Armstrong, is he still leaving the door open to moving this month or he staying with you until the end of the season.

At the moment he’ll be a free agent after the Dunfermline game. He might have something lined up, he might not but it doesn’t seem likely he’ll still be here after that game.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We were linked with Armstrong about a month ago, no chance we'd pay money for Vaughan, not because of his ability, just because we don't pay fees.

FWIW we regularly have players at this level scouted and it comes to nothing. Rory McKeown was heavily scouted, with Wright even going to watch him, but we never made a move. 

Armstrong would be coming in as 3rd or 4th choice winger too, not convinced that would appeal to him.

Tommy Wright was in front of me at Starks Park in a game v Falkirk.

Thought he was scouting McKeown our left back, but it was Blair Alston playing right mid, he was looking at.

46 minutes ago, Enigma said:

At the moment he’ll be a free agent after the Dunfermline game. He might have something lined up, he might not but it doesn’t seem likely he’ll still be here after that game.

To tell the truth I'd be happy if he just left.

Yes Armstrong is clearly a talented player and if he stays, then all good and well. However the more we see of him the less he looks like a team player and he's certainly not committed to the club.  He's supposedly  asked for certain conditions to be met and allegedly they have been, yet if that is true he's still holding out for a better deal elsewhere? I understand his keeping his options open and looking for the best deal he can get but I'm more interested in RRFC and the best deal we can get.

I think if we get the Dean Lyness deal over the line then the gaffer will have 3 loan slot options before the end of the month. I expect we'll see some business on that front once the keeper situation is sorted and Armstrong's agent deigns to inform the club what he's doing.

I had assumed any keeper we got in would be back up to Thomson but Lyness seemed to do pretty well at St Mirren and was playing ahead of Danny Rogers. Can’t see him dropping 2 divisions to be back up.
Yeah, based on what the St Mirren fans are saying on their thread I'd be disappointed if Lyness doesn't go straight into the starting XI.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Yeah, based on what the St Mirren fans are saying on their thread I'd be disappointed if Lyness doesn't go straight into the starting XI.

Ah but as we've unfortunately seen in the past, when it comes to goalkeepers the gaffer often suffers from occaisional chronic Myopia.

30 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I think if we get the Dean Lyness deal over the line then the gaffer will have 3 loan slot options before the end of the month. I expect we'll see some business on that front once the keeper situation is sorted and Armstrong's agent deigns to inform the club what he's doing.

On this note, where do we think we need to strengthen with the loans? One will be a winger to replace Armstrong. That leaves 2 available.

I’d still like to see a natural RB brought in. Murray has settled into a game there recently but it’s clearly not his natural position. If JM isn’t going to give McKay a chance I’d be happy with a Murray and Bene centre back partnership. 

I would hazard a guess we may also be in for a creative central midfielder. We’re pretty strong in there with Gillespie, Wedderburn and Matthews but probably lack a bit of creativity. The fact we were looking to extend Hendry’s deal before the news about his injury suggests we may try to add someone else.

Obviously just because we have 3 loans free doesn’t mean we’ll use them but McGlynn tends to use the loan market and has made reference to freeing up his loans by sending the 2 keepers back.

4 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

On this note, where do we think we need to strengthen with the loans? One will be a winger to replace Armstrong. That leaves 2 available.

I’d still like to see a natural RB brought in. Murray has settled into a game there recently but it’s clearly not his natural position. If JM isn’t going to give McKay a chance I’d be happy with a Murray and Bene centre back partnership. 

I would hazard a guess we may also be in for a creative central midfielder. We’re pretty strong in there with Gillespie, Wedderburn and Matthews but probably lack a bit of creativity. The fact we were looking to extend Hendry’s deal before the news about his injury suggests we may try to add someone else.

Obviously just because we have 3 loans free doesn’t mean we’ll use them but McGlynn tends to use the loan market and has made reference to freeing up his loans by sending the 2 keepers back.

I'd certainly agree to bringing in another right back but for me it'd be a huge no to then go putting Murray and Bene in the middle! Every time I've seen them in the mix together they've been awful, Bayview being a perfect example.  The defence isn't great at the best of times but Bene /Davo, Murray/Davo, Bene/Mckay or Davo/McKay all seemed to work to some degree but my recollection of Bene & Murray is that when they play together they 're generally all over the place.

I think  creative midfielder to replace Hendry is nailed on, as is another winger and that will be the call. I think we may only see a right-back come in if we are offered someone that McGlynn thinks is a better defensive option than Murray.

17 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I'd certainly agree to bringing in another right back but for me it'd be a huge no to then go putting Murray and Bene in the middle! Every time I've seen them in the mix together they've been awful, Bayview being a perfect example.  The defence isn't great at the best of times but Bene /Davo, Murray/Davo, Bene/Mckay or Davo/McKay all seemed to work to some degree but my recollection of Bene & Murray is that when they play together they 're generally all over the place.

I think  creative midfielder to replace Hendry is nailed on, as is another winger and that will be the call. I think we may only see a right-back come in if we are offered someone that McGlynn thinks is a better defensive option than Murray.

I had blocked Bayview from my mind to be fair! Couldn’t remember them playing together. Can understand why they wouldn’t work as a partnership though, they are both very similar types of player. Usually in a partnership each player brings different qualities.

On 14/01/2019 at 20:28, 1320Lichtie said:

Who's missed 8-12 weeks apart from Vaughan?

We had Doris missing a whole season!

Had injuries to ToB/Whatley our captain who's now fell out of the team/Swankie and Callum Smith barely played when he was here due to injury

grant Gillespie, Reagan Hendry, Chris Duggan, Lewis Vaughan 8 - 12 weeks

nat wedderburn approx first 5 games

calum Crane 5 games

robbie Thomson approx 5 games

Kevin Nisbet  minimum 4 games missing at present

nathan Flanagan  missed 4 - 5 games

TOB has only missed about 3 games including a suspension

Doris missed most of last season so really should have strengthened during preseason

whatley if he’s that good he would Have had a recall

Check the SPFL website it will back up my argument regarding appearances for Arbroath where as Rovers are all over the shop but please prove me wrong since you appear to know more about Rovers than I do

Doris was missing from last season so you could have got a replacement

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

I had blocked Bayview from my mind to be fair! Couldn’t remember them playing together. Can understand why they wouldn’t work as a partnership though, they are both very similar types of player. Usually in a partnership each player brings different qualities.

I was annoyed after that game in Methil and I still blame McGlynn twice for the loss.

Firstly for getting sent to the stand and getting involved with a fracas that definitely upset the Rovers players more than the East Fife players and secondly for moving Murray to the middle and substituting the injured Davo for Watson, I thought a straight swap for Davie McKay was the shout all day long.  East Fife plundered young Watsons wing and the two in the middle were all at sea.