The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think the gulf between full time and part time is small if your talking about the Rovers and the other teams in the league and imo there is no benefit being full time as all the other team appear to have more desire , determination and fight. Let’s face it we have the dross of full time players available when really we should have really signed all the cream of part time footballers out there which in turn would have weakened all the other teams in the league and  we would probably have went on and  made more of a profit this season

Edited by basher brash

This season has been a disaster, really. If we do our usual in the play-offs we aren't going to be the only full time team down here and those other two candidate teams are going to have larger budgets. 

Even if we'd replicated last season's form until now we would still be behind Arbroath. Crucially, however, we'd be within a distance we could tolerate and would still be within a shout. 

The problem is that we've been left with a poorly balanced and poorly put together squad. Not signing a Right Back was an utter travesty,  frankly, and until McGlynn brought in Crane we had a single Left Back (or player to play there) as well. We also had only one winger. As for the injury problems...those lie squarely at the foot of the idiot who boasted that he'd  "beasted" the players in pre-season training. 

McGlynn has not had the impact we'd hoped for, and it's starting to really piss me off that he won't make changes in defence despite the problems lying there. Cuthbert's spell in charge was an utter write off as well. 

Edited by Michael W

Davo has been responsible for a goal from the penalty yesterday and both goals against EF. He won't be dropped though. Mckay has shown enough to say he is a good enough player for this level in the past. It's the old adage of you can only piss with the cock you have for mcglynn Imo. He has however signed crane, hendry (unfortunate that he's out for the season) Armstrong and silva before Christmas. He's addressed certain issues that have been left to him but it will take time to get a full balance to the squad. The man isn't a miracle worker. He got the job done last time due to hard work and a squad he had time to assemble!

17 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Frank conner said:
Basically it's because I said it and as for grumswall saying it's a transitional period what a load of bollocks. We have good enough players but for many reasons the are not delivering. We have put in some shocking performances over the last few weeks.

Why is it a load of bollocks? My reason for saying that is, we had the likes of drysdale who has even in the summer went out of his way to sing his own praises for us getting f**k all for bates (who has since had a Scotland cap) We needed fresh blood in the boardroom, which we now have. Time will tell if they are any better. We need time to rebuild a squad of players who were relegated by a Brechin side who failed to win a single league game the following season. That same Brechin side is struggling under the manager who actually built our squads for the past two seasons which have had a 10 (?) point gap at one stage and bottled it last season and now find themselves way off the pace against a settled team that has been built over a few seasons, something we need to do in order to go up and stay up!

On paper we have a very capable squad the manager has had ample time to sort the basics out. Even yesterday people who were there were saying the team only turned up for 45 mins. How many times has this been did over the last couple of months. How many mistakes will it take for Davidson to be dropped Mcglynn certainly hasn't changed in his stubbornness.Id rather he gave McKay a go and fails than not give him a go at all.

On paper we have a very capable squad the manager has had ample time to sort the basics out. Even yesterday people who were there were saying the team only turned up for 45 mins. How many times has this been did over the last couple of months. How many mistakes will it take for Davidson to be dropped Mcglynn certainly hasn't changed in his stubbornness.Id rather he gave McKay a go and fails than not give him a go at all.
I agree with alot of that, see one of my previous posts up the page. I do disagree in that we don't have a capable squad. We have a capable first team of players but there has been little depth to it up until the injuries, most of which have been a legacy of smiths training, cleared up. Crane hasn't looked the player he did at Alloa although has shown it in flashes. Bene has been much better than he was pre mcglynn. Davo is past it and needs dropped for mckay to at least give the guy a chance in this setup and Murray is a guy who try's like f**k and has been slowly getting a little better but isn't our answer to a rb. Thomson grabbed us a point yesterday, from the highlights but is very suspect with crosses into the 6 yard box and doesn't seem to command any respect from the defence. There's not alot mcglynn can do personnel wise between now and the end of the season with that as the budget will be tight. A gk and cb or rb should be a priority now we have Armstrongs replacement in.

A gk and cb or rb should be a priority now we have Armstrongs replacement in.

Dingwall isn’t Armstrong’s replacement.

We were already told that he’s ideally wanting 3 wingers to fight for those places.

Flanagan, Dingwall and Armstrong are the 3 at the minute.

He’s also told us that Armstrong still has the offer on the table but if he doesn’t sign, we’ll be back in the market for another winger.

The main area of weakness is the defence. 

Failure to address that in this window would be bizarre at best in my opinion.  We've had the same central defensive partnership for most of the last 11 months, and look what's happened in that time. 

We were already told that he’s ideally wanting 3 wingers to fight for those places.

He’s also told us that Armstrong still has the offer on the table but if he doesn’t sign, we’ll be back in the market for another winger.
I like the sound of that actually. If the clock runs down and no one comes in for Armstrong he'll maybe sign - they've supposedly met his demands, mind - and then if any of the three doesn't lift a leg then they won't play. Fine really.

I must have missed him saying that

Has Vaughan not been playing on the wing? Him, flannagan and Dingwall then you can make a (bad) case for milne. That is 3 wingers. I haven't seen his interviews from the past week but it was at least 3 weeks ago he said we met Armstrongs demands and looked pissed while saying it. Since that time he's went on a mission to prove he can do it alone.

If you’re in the market for a winger then I wonder if we might send Craig McGuffie your way. Especially if we end up signing Armstrong or Erskine from Thistle.

He’s a left footer like Armstrong and has great potential but needs regular playing time. Something he’s not getting with us.

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

If you’re in the market for a winger then I wonder if we might send Craig McGuffie your way. Especially if we end up signing Armstrong or Erskine from Thistle.

He’s a left footer like Armstrong and has great potential but needs regular playing time. Something he’s not getting with us.

Big commute from Troon to Kirkcaldy.

2 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Listening to Off the Ball on Saturday Cosgrove was saying St Johnstone were interested in two players, one a player from Raith, you'd have to guess it's Armstrong or Vaughan.

Probably won't be Vaughan, he's just signed a two year deal. 

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Probably won't be Vaughan, he's just signed a two year deal. 

Fair enough, decent step up for Armstrong mind, just looking at his transfermarkt stats he didn't seem to hit any great heights at Dunfermline last year although I have been really impressed in the games I've seen him.

Despite the last couple performances with his selfish play Armstrong has impressed at this level.  Can't see him making the jump up two leagues and playing regularly at this stage though he'd be better trying to get experience in the championship.

It’s the teams mentality that isn’t right mixed in the Barry Smith inability to recruit properly in the summer , come on signing one winger and not even having a seasoned full back . At least Mcglynn spotted that hence recruiting Crane and wanting 3 wingers on the books but having said that we have been really unlucky with injuries not like Arbroath who mostly have been able to field the same team week in week out