The New Raith Rovers Thread

Looking at the highlights it looked soft but definitely a pen, Murray must have been bloody close to be offside. looks like it could have gone either way so a draw loks about right and that's the reason we are 13 points off the leaders.
I wouldn't say we are a big scalp but seems to me there is a clear reason why directors at other teams will be more than glad to see us stay down. All joking aside the Raith £ is a great thing for the coffers of the other clubs in this league.
In 8 of the 9  (I couldn't find a gate figure for their Stenny game) home games against the other teams played so far this season Airdrie have averaged 742 fans at their games, in the two games against Rovers there have been an average of 1130, more than 50% up on what other teams bring?  Of course they want us to stay down.

[emoji23][emoji23]

25 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Looking at the highlights it looked soft but definitely a pen, Murray must have been bloody close to be offside. looks like it could have gone either way so a draw loks about right and that's the reason we are 13 points off the leaders.

I wouldn't say we are a big scalp but seems to me there is a clear reason why directors at other teams will be more than glad to see us stay down. All joking aside the Raith £ is a great thing for the coffers of the other clubs in this league.

In 8 of the 9  (I couldn't find a gate figure for their Stenny game) home games against the other teams played so far this season Airdrie have averaged 742 fans at their games, in the two games against Rovers there have been an average of 1130, more than 50% up on what other teams bring?  Of course they want us to stay down.

Conversely the reverse is true and the longer we stay down the more likely we are to stay here longer yet.  More good news if you are a director of 8 of the other 9.

Fucking hell. 

The state of that. 

10 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Conversely the reverse is true and the longer we stay down the more likely we are to stay here longer yet.  More good news if you are a director of 8 of the other 9.

Oh dear 

15 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Because we don’t have a goalkeeper as good as Darren Jamieson, we don’t have a centre half that’s as good as Tom O’Brien, we don’t have a winger who’s as good as Bobby Linn, we don’t have a central midfielder who’s as creative as Gavin Swankie and we don’t have a front two who combine as well as Ryan Wallace and Michael McKenna.

It shows how far we have fallen when Arbroath have better players than us but the sad truth is that they have.

It shows how far we have fallen when Arbroath have better players than us but the sad truth is that they have.

It’s not really “how far we’ve fallen” though, is it? We’ve been within 5 or 6 places of where we are now for the vast, vast majority of the entire time I’ve been going to the Rovers, which is 20 years. It’s also condescending as f**k to Arbroath who have built on their squad over the last three or four seasons and are where they are on merit. We’ve not suddenly ‘fallen’ out of the premiership and are now slogging our way through, we are of similar size to the clubs round about us in the league standings, and have been for as long as I can remember.

Agree hank. Our squad has Imo the makings of a decent team with the likes of nesbit, Vaughan, Gillespie and bene. We are very much a team going through a transitional period after the locke/ hughes/ drysdale debacle and it will take a bit of consistency in our approach to build a unit like arbroath have. We have players like Armstrong who has undoubted ability but isn't really working for the cause. The complete opposite from when mcglynn came in the first time.

22 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s not really “how far we’ve fallen” though, is it? We’ve been within 5 or 6 places of where we are now for the vast, vast majority of the entire time I’ve been going to the Rovers, which is 20 years. It’s also condescending as f**k to Arbroath who have built on their squad over the last three or four seasons and are where they are on merit. We’ve not suddenly ‘fallen’ out of the premiership and are now slogging our way through, we are of similar size to the clubs round about us in the league standings, and have been for as long as I can remember.

In my 35 years supporting the the rovers we've rarely been behind  Arbroath.  3 years ago we we were in the championship play-offs after finishing umpteen points ahead of the tem in 5th place now we are 13 points  behind Arbroath who were were in the fourth tier a couple of years ago. So stop talking shite where we are now is a joke stop making excuses.

In my 35 years supporting the the rovers we've rarely been behind  Arbroath.  3 years ago we we were in the championship play-offs after finishing umpteen points ahead of the tem in 5th place now we are 13 points  behind Arbroath who were were in the fourth tier a couple of years ago. So stop talking shite where we are now is a joke stop making excuses.

And that season you’re talking about was an anomaly in the time I’ve been going - 20 years. We’ve finished 2nd and 4th in the Championship and other than that it’s been muddling about between 6th in the league above and 4th in the league we’re in now. Just because we had a good few seasons a quarter of a century ago doesn’t mean that’s what our median is. You say you’ve been going for 35 years, meaning you’re probably in your 40’s. I feel like it’s folk your age who most cannae take it that we are a club of similar size to those around us now. Arbroath have had a great few seasons and deserve to be above us, get used to it.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

And that season you’re talking about was an anomaly in the time I’ve been going - 20 years. We’ve finished 2nd and 4th in the Championship and other than that it’s been muddling about between 6th in the league above and 4th in the league we’re in now. Just because we had a good few seasons a quarter of a century ago doesn’t mean that’s what our median is. You say you’ve been going for 35 years, meaning you’re probably in your 40’s. I feel like it’s folk your age who most cannae take it that we are a club of similar size to those around us now. Arbroath have had a great few seasons and deserve to be above us, get used to it.

3 seasons ago if I'm right they got relegated to the 4th tier that's not great imo. Yes it is hard to accept I've nothing against Arbroath but where we find ourselves right now is poor. Considering how far we finished ahead of them last season no one would have predicted this or would be happy with it.

Hardly an anomaly, wasn’t even our highest place in the last ten years.

He makes a valid enough point, that team that made the play offs would utterly pump the team out out yesterday. It’s been a spiral from that point to this, so we have fallen, no arguments there surely.

As much as folk his age “cannae take it” I’d rather than attitude than the unambitious one that’s happy to just muddle along down here and accept whatever shite gets served up. We really should be a Championship team. We are a bigger club than Arbroath by pretty much any measure.

Hardly an anomaly, wasn’t even our highest place in the last ten years.

He makes a valid enough point, that team that made the play offs would utterly pump the team out out yesterday. It’s been a spiral from that point to this, so we have fallen, no arguments there surely.

As much as folk his age “cannae take it” I’d rather than attitude than the unambitious one that’s happy to just muddle along down here and accept whatever shite gets served up. We really should be a Championship team. We are a bigger club than Arbroath by pretty much any measure.

Who said anything about me accepting it? Other than paying my money and going along to get behind the team what can I realistically do? I agree we should be doing better than we are but as someone else mentioned we’re in a transitional phase with a manager who’s using someone else’s squad and Arbroath have been superb all season.

l'm 100 percent behind Mcglynn and certain that he will take us forward, in time.  I saw enough in the early season games to see some massive warning signs for the season ahead under Smith. It may not be this season that we progress though, so it's viral we stick with the manager. Might sound hypocritical given a lot of us wanted Smith gone so soon, but I just trust Mcglynn more. 

Arbroath have been superb this season and absolute credit to them. That said, we have taken 15 points from the 30 available away from home this season. That's not going to get anywhere near promotion to be honest, regardless of how Arbroath play. We should really be tucked in 6-9 points behind an Arbroath side on that form, still in with half a shout. Not 13 behind. To have lost 5 games at this stage is pretty pish in any season, we only lost 4 all of last season. 

That's the issue for me, even ignoring Arbroaths form this has still been a poor season, where we are conceding cheap goals on a regular basis. The last two seasons before this saw the team fold under any kind of expectation or pressure and the main fear is that happening again in May.  

My gut feeling is that we won't see things move forward really until Mcglynn builds his own side - and if we are still in this league then God knows what format we are looking at. 

Edited by CALDERON

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Who said anything about me accepting it? Other than paying my money and going along to get behind the team what can I realistically do? I agree we should be doing better than we are but as someone else mentioned we’re in a transitional phase with a manager who’s using someone else’s squad and Arbroath have been superb all season.

Basically it's because I said it and as for grumswall saying it's a transitional period what a load of bollocks. We have good enough players but for many reasons the are not delivering. We have put in some shocking performances over the last few weeks.

Basically it's because I said it and as for grumswall saying it's a transitional period what a load of bollocks. We have good enough players but for many reasons the are not delivering. We have put in some shocking performances over the last few weeks.

Have to disagree there. I think there are still some players we could do with clearing out. We need a new right back and centre back if we want to win the title next season imo. Crane was notably poor yesterday too, incidentally.

McGlynn, I’m sure, will take us up, this season or next but he’s an obsession or at least a belief that clean sheets win football matches. His approach is fine with a solid defence, but that’s not something we have and as Ayr showed last season not a prerequisite to winning the title.

l'm 100 percent behind Mcglynn and certain that he will take us forward, in time.  I saw enough in the early season games to see some massive warning signs for the season ahead under Smith. It may not be this season that we progress though, so it's viral we stick with the manager. Might sound hypocritical given a lot of us wanted Smith gone so soon, but I just trust Mcglynn more. 
Arbroath have been superb this season and absolute credit to them. That said, we have taken 15 points from the 30 available away from home this season. That's not going to get anywhere near promotion to be honest, regardless of how Arbroath play. We should really be tucked in 6-9 points behind an Arbroath side on that form, still in with half a shout. Not 13 behind. To have lost 5 games at this stage is pretty pish in any season, we only lost 4 all of last season. 
That's the issue for me, even ignoring Arbroaths form this has still been a poor season, where we are conceding cheap goals on a regular basis. The last two seasons before this saw the team fold under any kind of expectation or pressure and the main fear is that happening again in May.  
My gut feeling is that we won't see things move forward really until Mcglynn builds his own side - and if we are still in this league then God knows what format we are looking at. 

Hopefully an effective team. I appreciate what mcglynn has the team set up to do so far this season but it's not effectual at this level. We're far too slow getting the ball forward and that's not me saying long ball into the channel, our build up play let's teams back in and then we need to rely on Armstrong etc for a bit of brilliance to make something happen. Against EF we have struggled this season because they press us into making mistakes because we are so laxidasical in possession. I wasn't at the game yesterday but the first thing you see on airdrie's highlights is the ko where they press us into making a mistake. I trust mcglynn to get it right but I doubt it will be this season.

Why is it a load of bollocks? My reason for saying that is, we had the likes of drysdale who has even in the summer went out of his way to sing his own praises for us getting f**k all for bates (who has since had a Scotland cap) We needed fresh blood in the boardroom, which we now have. Time will tell if they are any better. We need time to rebuild a squad of players who were relegated by a Brechin side who failed to win a single league game the following season. That same Brechin side is struggling under the manager who actually built our squads for the past two seasons which have had a 10 (?) point gap at one stage and bottled it last season and now find themselves way off the pace against a settled team that has been built over a few seasons, something we need to do in order to go up and stay up!