The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

Mind the League One winning season - How far behind Ayr were we when they beat us and there were about 9 games left? Clinging onto the faint hope we hit a run of form, coupled with an Arbroath collapse.

There's 20 games to go, trying to keep the faith!

3 points. 

There’s no way we’re clawing back 13 points. For all the gloating from other teams, Arbroath have to be commended for their team spirit and ability to keep winning, something we can only dream of. Injuries haven’t helped. But we simply can’t lay the blame of the poor performances on that. This team train all week. P/T teams are lucky if they train 4 hours a week and do their day jobs too. We have to now concentrate on the play offs and see if we have the mental toughness to get through them.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Where's this benefit from full time football? 

I’ve been saying this to a pal recently at games, where Raith Rovers are just now,  I don’t think they see the benefit as they are (no disrespect intended) one of the worst full time teams in the country, in theory probably have one of the worst squads of full time players. 

Arbroath in my opinion should always strive to be the best part time team in the county and if they are, that’s where I see our natural place in the pecking order, anything beyond that is exactly that, a bit beyond us. 

Comparing the two, I’d argue a squad of the best part time players are likely to be better than the worst full time ones, the only benefit being that they should be better drilled at set pieces, given they train more, I don’t think fitness comes into it much as we only really play once a week and part time players will be just as fit as full time ones. 

We have been ahead in all 3 of our away defeats and lost the winning goal in the last 10 minutes. We’re just not solid enough at the back. You never get the feeling when we get our noses in front that we will see it out.

We have actually been in front in every single away game this season and have only won 3 out of 8. That’s not acceptable.

I’ve said before, the hallmark of McGlynns teams previously were solid defence, hard work and unbelievable fitness. However, at the moment we look frail at the back and seem to lose as many late goals as we score. There doesn’t appear to be any obvious fitness advantage over other teams.

Hopefully he’s given the funds to perhaps move on a couple of players and bring in a few to really put his stamp on the team for the second half of the season. Only one McGlynn signing playing today and he scored and has been our best player the last few weeks.

1 minute ago, R.R.FC said:

We have been ahead in all 3 of our away defeats and lost the winning goal in the last 10 minutes. We’re just not solid enough at the back. You never get the feeling when we get our noses in front that we will see it out.

We have actually been in front in every single away game this season and have only won 3 out of 8. That’s not acceptable.

I’ve said before, the hallmark of McGlynns teams previously were solid defence, hard work and unbelievable fitness. However, at the moment we look frail at the back and seem to lose as many late goals as we score. There doesn’t appear to be any obvious fitness advantage over other teams.

Hopefully he’s given the funds to perhaps move on a couple of players and bring in a few to really put his stamp on the team for the second half of the season. Only one McGlynn signing playing today and he scored and has been our best player the last few weeks.

Is there much point though in adding in Jan? League is gone and we will comfortably finish 2nd.  

I was at the side for todays match and when the ref was going to have a word with Armstrong I heard (not for the only time in that game) the linesman telling the ref the players name, in this case he said that’s Danny. Surely the refs should know the players? Might stomp out the time it takes for them to write in their wee diaries. Anyhoo the ref was absolutely stinking, especially for their second goal

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Is there much point though in adding in Jan? League is gone and we will comfortably finish 2nd.  

I think so, he can start putting together his team for next season in January. Gives them half a season to gel so we can hit the ground running next year. Who knows, if the additions are really good, they might even be enough to win us the play offs...okay too far. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Title gone?

No idea how good Arbroath are compared to us last season but they’re not throwing away daft points allowing Raith to get back into it like we were.

I think Arbroath are doing better points wise than yourselves at this stage last season. 

Even if Arbroath were to drop points, which they aren't, it really can't be underestimated just how bad we are away from home. 

Edited by CALDERON

Just checked back over the last 2 and a half seasons to see just how bad our away form is.

We have won 16 of our last 59 away games in all competitions. 2 of those wins were against highland league teams. However, we did also manage to lose to Highland League opposition this season.

If we’re just calculating our results against league teams it is 14 wins from our last 56. So a win percentage of 25%, no matter how good our home form is we’re going nowhere until the away form is sorted.