The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm a bit worried that Flanagan hasn't signed yet as it has been obvious for 2-3 months he would have a big part to play for us this season.

Considering Armstrong was unattached I'm quite surprised that McKinnon didn't get him in to have a look at before we got in for him. Maybe the fact that Wedderburn will know him from last season helped us there.

Yeah, we kinda assumed that Armstrong was in to cover for Vaughan's injury and Milne's lack of form but I suppose another interpretation was that McGlynn knew he'd be needing another winger soon....

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, we need Flanagan and Armstrong tied down quickly. As much as their support might look down on it, I imagine McKinnon might see two wingers with freedom of contract who can actually hold their own at least at top end of league 1 as a pretty decent deal, given he'll be looking to pretty much build a whole new squad at Falkirk.

Agreed though Armstrong was also available with freedom of contract 2 weeks ago and seemed to have no other offers. Obviously his performances have been great and will hopefully continue but at this point I’m not sure it will have been enough to have teams knocking down the door to get him.

I think Cardle heading back north may also help us on that front. I’d imagine he’d be looked at ahead of Flanagan or Armstrong (at the moment) as an established winger for any championship side looking to add in that position. 

Thats my hopelessly optimistic view on it though. How great would it be to have Gillespie, Hendry, Vaughan, Armstrong, Flanagan and Nisbet all available at once!?

Anyway, fantastic news on Nisbet, didn’t think that would be possible, as others have said who’d have thought missing out on Loy and getting him would be the best thing to happen to us in the summer.

31 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, we need Flanagan and Armstrong tied down quickly. As much as their support might look down on it, I imagine McKinnon might see two wingers with freedom of contract who can actually hold their own at least at top end of league 1 as a pretty decent deal, given he'll be looking to pretty much build a whole new squad at Falkirk.

Said exactly the same in the January transfer thread. McKinnon ripped up our midfield and attack when we were in 4th in that league. Nobody in that Falkirk team should feel safe about their positions, and an in form winger will probably be appealing to him.

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

Said exactly the same in the January transfer thread. McKinnon ripped up our midfield and attack when we were in 4th in that league. Nobody in that Falkirk team should feel safe about their positions, and an in form winger will probably be appealing to him.

Well, I mean he's already pretty much said it's a total clear out.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer said:

A great way to motivate a team, go Ray.

In fairness, reading through their thread and looking at some of the match highlights, it looks very much like an Anelka situation. All the motivation in the world isn't going to turn them into footballers. They are probably incredibly lucky to make it this far and still be in contact with the teams above them. January, and a lot of money, will probably save them.

I take an interest because, with our title pretensions hanging by the thinnest of threads and hee haw chance of winning a play off, I'd hate to be down here next year with a club that'd happily spend twice what we could to bulldoze the league.

Nisbet signs until May 2020

After scoring the opening goal in the win over Queen’s Park in the Scottish Cup Round 3 match at the weekend, playing a massive part in a 3-0 victory, Raith Rovers are delighted to have secured the services of 18 goal striker Kevin Nisbet on an extended contract until 31st May 2020.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Just heard Kevin Nisbet has signed an extension. Can anyone confirm?

New Deal for Kevin Nisbet

printer.png

Tuesday November 27th 2018
group-300x200.jpg

Kevin signs on, watched by Manager John McGlynn and Chairman Bill Cark

After scoring the opening goal in the win over Queen’s Park in the Scottish Cup Round 3 match at the weekend, playing a massive part in a 3-0 victory, Raith Rovers are delighted to have secured the services of 18 goal striker Kevin Nisbet on an extended contract until 31st May 2020.

21 year old Kevin signed at the start of this season after being released by Partick Thistle, being loaned out from The Jags to Ayr United and East Stirling in recent seasons and most recently to Dumbarton FC.

It is this season, however, at Stark’s Park where the striker has benefitted from a sustained run of first team action that sees him top the SPFL League goalscoring charts, hitting the net 15 times (as well as 3 goals in Cup competitions) in 22 competitive starts for John McGlynn’s Rovers side.

43-STE_8565-300x200.jpg

Kevin bears down on the Queens Park defence at the National Stadium last weekend

Speaking exclusively to www.raithrovers.net, Kevin said: “I’m very happy to have extended my contract for another year – we’ve been in talks for a while now and it’s good to finally get it done. I’m enjoying my football this season, and it’s great being able to convert the chances created by my teammates into goals”

Rovers manager John McGlynn added: “I am delighted the club have secured the services of  Scotland’s top league goal scorer. Kevin has been a joy to work with from the minute I walked into the club.

I could immediately see he has lots of talent, he is a goal scorer as everyone can see but there’s more to Kevin’s game; he has the ability to assist in goals for his team mates, he can bring them in to play in build-up, he’s a physically strong player who is difficult to knock off the ball by defenders. He has two great feet with an amazing first touch.

This extension to Kevin’s contract shows the ambition of the club as we seek to keep our best players here to take on the challenge of getting to the Championship”

Chairman Bill Clark was also delighted  to secure the players services for next season and said: “Kevin has made an outstanding start to his Rovers career. Like all Rovers supporters, I and the Board of Directors look forward to watching his and the squad’s progress over the next 18 months. As well as proving his worth as a goalscorer he has proved to be an excellent team player and shows great commitment. We have now secured his services until May 2020 by which time we hope to be already in the SPFL Championship”.

I never thought I'd be sitting at the end of November thinking "Thank f**k Nisbet has signed a new deal. Hopefully we can get Flanagan tied down quickly too". For all his criticisms, Smith did make some excellent signings in the summer. The only one who has been underwhelming is Milne.
Aye smith wasn't daft after all with the signings[emoji3]

36 minutes ago, donny86 said:

Can questions be submitted in advance for those who can’t make it ?

Your best bet would be to get someone who's going to be there on the night to ask the question, and for them to let you know the answer.

We don't have the manpower to be able to take emailed questions the  night before the event, ask them on the night and then email each person back individually. 

A write - up on the event will be posted to the club website in the days following the Q&A.

Edited by Niall Russell

What would you like to ask?

The question a lot of people will no doubt want to ask but not sure anyone would raise it to the board directly on the night :

What was the structure of the Bates deal and is there anything in place that will have us receive additional monies . What steps are the current board taking to prevent something as farcical as this from happening again and do they think it’s hampered the donations to the youth development fund