The New Raith Rovers Thread

Difference being Smith strikes me as the type of guy that will just moan about it, while Mcglynn will be out sourcing a JVC Handycam second hand from Lennoxtown and just cracking on with it. 
Great interview and it just shows you how much we've missed his general enthusiasm about the day to day task of working with the players. 

I think Smiths gripe about the video analysis was that he had it and it was a good set up but when they moved, he didn't have it and was more or less told it's too expensive so make do with what you've got. McG highlighted its impotence and he has a strong need for it.

I get the impression there's going to be a lot of trust put in McGlynn and what he says (within reason) will go. Young, Sim and Clark have all said over the last couple of years the managers won't be given free reign on all football decisions after the whole Locke signing his pals situation. I think this will change for J McG and I think if he needs something that's going to cost money, the BoD will be going out and looking for the funds.

26 minutes ago, Kdawg said:

Not sure if the Fiat was John’s or if that bit of film was just done for effect.

If it is his though, it proves he’s a real man and hung like a donkey. No man with a tiny tadger would drive a car like that!

We used the wheels of Davie H (of RaithTV)'s car to set up the shot of the guys walking in for the first time, as they were inside talking to directors and being introduced (again) to the office staff. Dramatic licence I think they call it.

Can't attest to your second assumption though......

28 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I think Smiths gripe about the video analysis was that he had it and it was a good set up but when they moved, he didn't have it and was more or less told it's too expensive so make do with what you've got.  Not quite - video analysis has been used to some extent by every Rovers manager since John introduced it in 2006 (apart from  half a season of Hughes, who had it to use but didn't bother with it).

Smith (and then Cuthbert) continued to use it (even after the Analysis lad Andy Tannahill accepted a FT job at St Mirren in August) this season and last to highlight good points / areas to improve on. The main issue in regards to watching video of games back at Stark's Park is that when they show video clips on the projector in the home dressing room on bright days the picture was hard to see because of the sunlight, so blinds are getting fitted to combat that :-)

McG highlighted its impotence and he has a strong need for it. Think he rates it higher than that ;-)

Edited by Niall Russell

Proper video analysis is surely one of the main benefits of being FT in that the players have time during the week to use it to full effect while still doing the hours on training ground.

Improving players through that and being fitter than other teams seems like the bare minimum JMcG is expecting. Bring it on.

I'll be at The Rock on Saturday. #barmyarmy

3 hours ago, Niall Russell said:

Smith (and then Cuthbert) continued to use it

Eagle eyed viewers of the away game at Brechin this season may have seen the analysis camera go for a wee trip from the camera gantry to the pitch after being skelpted by the ball.

Luckily it survived the ordeal!

Edited by Roath Raver

18 minutes ago, Roath Raver said:

Eagle eyed viewers of the away game at Brechin this season may have seen the analysis camera go for a wee trip from the camera gantry to the pitch after being skelpted by the ball.

Luckily it survived the ordeal!

I think it was just the mic cover that fell.

27 minutes ago, philpy said:
2 hours ago, Michael W said:
John Hughes didn't use it because he couldn't work the remote. 

He tried shree times, ken??

It was at this moment that his deep-rooted hatred of modern society began, when he realised he couldnae work wan eh thum new fang'led picture boax hingsh eh? 

This set him off on a deep and downward spiral, hating the world around him to the point where even his past hatred of Bobby Barr just wouldn't satisfy his lust for hatred anymore. Players were slagged off in the media weekly, and even the fatherly seal-of-approval of Ryan Hardie's dating prospects couldn't prevent our stop scorer from being criticised, due to a him being a modern footballer and not some sort of relic from the days there were nane o 'thum picture boax hingsh. 

Things came to a head when we were pumped 5-0 by St Mirren; a result caused by St Mirren fielding a team from the 1970s, which showed up our softy moderns. Hughes unleashed fury in the aftermath: modern society had failed everyone, PASHIN' was lacking and players these days were too scared of taking wan in the dish in case their modelling careers were cancelled. 

Alas, we were relegated. And all because John Hughes couldn't work a remote control. 

Edited by Michael W

It was something McGurn picked up on recent in his interview for Raith TV. He'd have them all watching analysis and he felt it was something that had a big impact.
I'm more and more keen to go on Saturday. The train through might be a good shout actually.

Prior to me realising I had other commitments on Saturday, when I was intending on going. There’s a train from Kdy about 10:30am, that stops at Haymarket and then direct to Dumbarton East, gets in circa 1pm. Ideal for beers on the train [emoji1303]

Just listened to the McGlynn interview from the Rock sport podcast. Really impressed with it and good to hear the only job he would have left his job at Celtic for was Raith. Also seems really confident of getting 2 or 3 more signings in before Friday which is bound to help. However my one concern is from the comment, as soon as the job came up he threw his CV in. If that was the case and as much as I’m all for giving the cat the chance, why did it take the board 3 weeks to make the appointment? As soon as his CV was through he should have been in the door. Our current situation could have been so much better and he wouldn’t have been scrambling around with a few days of the transfer window trying to wheel and deal to get a few players over the line.

In the interview with the two appointees and the chairman. I  think the chairman said that they came to a decision to give Cat three weeks to see how it turned out for him. Unfortunately, things didn't go his way and after that John and Paul were invited. One other thing I really do hope that a position within the club could be found for Cat as he has always been there for us.

14 minutes ago, PJ_2014 said:

Just listened to the McGlynn interview from the Rock sport podcast. Really impressed with it and good to hear the only job he would have left his job at Celtic for was Raith. Also seems really confident of getting 2 or 3 more signings in before Friday which is bound to help. However my one concern is from the comment, as soon as the job came up he threw his CV in. If that was the case and as much as I’m all for giving the cat the chance, why did it take the board 3 weeks to make the appointment? As soon as his CV was through he should have been in the door. Our current situation could have been so much better and he wouldn’t have been scrambling around with a few days of the transfer window trying to wheel and deal to get a few players over the line.

If only they’d have a wee glance at P&B....

I wouldn't shed a tear if Cuthbert was to leave.  We don't even know if he is a good coach, just apparently a nice guy. We stuck by him through injury and offered him a coaching role. We owe him nothing.  It seems he believes he is the next big thing in coaching and too good to learn his trade further from two legends. Judging by the shambles of the last three games i think he should jump at the chance to shadow McGlynn for the next 18 months. 

Edited by He's Got No Hair

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I wonder if the criticism of Celtic's recruitment this summer convinced McGlynn that he'd best best served moving back into management?

Not the best time to be a Parkhead scout.

I don’t think so. Sounds from his FFP interview he worked on the recruitment for the first 18 months of his 3 year stay but the last year and a half has been spent scouting opposition. 

It also sounds like he’s applied for the job a couple of times and been overlooked (can only assume for Smith and Hughes) and he definitely sees himself as a coach/manager rather than a scout.