The New Raith Rovers Thread

On a different note, Kieran Wright is in sling so it looks like he'll be out for a while.
Seing what happened, I had a similar scenario when playing and my shoulder ligaments were done in. Hopefully he won't be out too long but in all honesty Robbie is a better 'keeper than him anyway.

7 hours ago, grumswall said:
8 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:
On a different note, Kieran Wright is in sling so it looks like he'll be out for a while.

Seing what happened, I had a similar scenario when playing and my shoulder ligaments were done in. Hopefully he won't be out too long but in all honesty Robbie is a better 'keeper than him anyway.

I thought Thomson looked dodgy as hell on Saturday but possibly just rustiness, I hope.

Very late in getting to this but Saturday was probably the most infuriating game since the Brechin Play-offs/Alloa play-offs. I get that Cuthbert is a novice at this and it really showed on Saturday but to boo him both at half time and full time is an absolute disgrace. The man has been thrown into a position he's never done before and is obviously trying his best and is hurt by the results. I also wasn't happy with the tactics played but that's just ludicrous.

Anyway, to play a 3-5-2 with Murray and Flanagan as wing backs is absolutely mental given that Murray doesn't have a clue how to play attacking and is probably the worst player we have with the ball at his feet, and Flanagan can't really defend (not for a lack of trying). It was clear Flanagan further up the pitch caused Montrose problems every time but the majority of his game was played deep. Wedderburn at CB is not a thing. For being a huge unit he does not like to header the ball or go in for a challenge. The marauding run midway through the second half showed he's better placed in the middle of the park. Neither Bene nor Davidson fill me with any confidence this season and McKay should 100% be our first choice CB. It would not surprise me we absolutely blow it and he ends up with a move away with us getting little to nothing for him in the process.

Midfield was absolutely nowhere all game. You could see Gillespie was trying to be here, there and everywhere because Milne was absolutely terrible and a passenger and Matthews was kind of just running about with no purpose. There is a definite reason that Milne has spent the majority of the time on the bench so far, he offers nothing. Second half Matthews improved slightly but not to gain pass marks in my opinion. Then there comes arguably the most ridiculous thing. Why, why, why drop Vaughan in to the centre of the park when we know he just can't play there. I know Vaughan tries too hard the best of time but it's like he thinks he's Iniesta when he goes in the centre of the park. Drops deep, tries a worldy pass, messes up a worldy pass, Montrose come away with possession. 

I felt sorry for Nesbitt. He tried his heart out but was starved of anything meaningful (which appears to be a trending thing over the past couple of seasons). Thought Duggan looked a threat when he came on but had no one in support. 

All in all, obviously 3-5-2 does not work. Both because we are playing players out of position but also because the players don't know how to play the formation. We were far too deep the majority of the game with our attacking player dropping deep to try gain meaningful possession which meant we had no one up tops to do anything. We were all over the shop. Although Cuthbert is a novice, I just do not get how  he didn't change it at half time. It was clear for everyone to see that it just wasn't working and I probably would have gave him some brownie points if he changed it but he stuck with a system that, to put it simply, wasn't working. The other point that gets me is that we have played 4-4-2 at home all last season and this season and we have won the majority of games, so why change it? I know we are far from dangerous when playing a 4-4-2, but we are a hell of a lot more dangerous playing a 4-4-2 than a 3-5-2. More the fact that the players know how the F*** to play it.

Clear to see we need a manager in ASAP.  

Very late in getting to this but Saturday was probably the most infuriating game since the Brechin Play-offs/Alloa play-offs. I get that Cuthbert is a novice at this and it really showed on Saturday but to boo him both at half time and full time is an absolute disgrace. The man has been thrown into a position he's never done before and is obviously trying his best and is hurt by the results. I also wasn't happy with the tactics played but that's just ludicrous.

Anyway, to play a 3-5-2 with Murray and Flanagan as wing backs is absolutely mental given that Murray doesn't have a clue how to play attacking and is probably the worst player we have with the ball at his feet, and Flanagan can't really defend (not for a lack of trying). It was clear Flanagan further up the pitch caused Montrose problems every time but the majority of his game was played deep. Wedderburn at CB is not a thing. For being a huge unit he does not like to header the ball or go in for a challenge. The marauding run midway through the second half showed he's better placed in the middle of the park. Neither Bene nor Davidson fill me with any confidence this season and McKay should 100% be our first choice CB. It would not surprise me we absolutely blow it and he ends up with a move away with us getting little to nothing for him in the process.

Midfield was absolutely nowhere all game. You could see Gillespie was trying to be here, there and everywhere because Milne was absolutely terrible and a passenger and Matthews was kind of just running about with no purpose. There is a definite reason that Milne has spent the majority of the time on the bench so far, he offers nothing. Second half Matthews improved slightly but not to gain pass marks in my opinion. Then there comes arguably the most ridiculous thing. Why, why, why drop Vaughan in to the centre of the park when we know he just can't play there. I know Vaughan tries too hard the best of time but it's like he thinks he's Iniesta when he goes in the centre of the park. Drops deep, tries a worldy pass, messes up a worldy pass, Montrose come away with possession. 

I felt sorry for Nesbitt. He tried his heart out but was starved of anything meaningful (which appears to be a trending thing over the past couple of seasons). Thought Duggan looked a threat when he came on but had no one in support. 

All in all, obviously 3-5-2 does not work. Both because we are playing players out of position but also because the players don't know how to play the formation. We were far too deep the majority of the game with our attacking player dropping deep to try gain meaningful possession which meant we had no one up tops to do anything. We were all over the shop. Although Cuthbert is a novice, I just do not get how  he didn't change it at half time. It was clear for everyone to see that it just wasn't working and I probably would have gave him some brownie points if he changed it but he stuck with a system that, to put it simply, wasn't working. The other point that gets me is that we have played 4-4-2 at home all last season and this season and we have won the majority of games, so why change it? I know we are far from dangerous when playing a 4-4-2, but we are a hell of a lot more dangerous playing a 4-4-2 than a 3-5-2. More the fact that the players know how the F*** to play it.

We must have been at different games. Duggan, a threat? Man of the Match Wedderburn no good at CH?

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:
51 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

We must have been at different games. Duggan, a threat? Man of the Match Wedderburn no good at CH?

Given any time Duggan got the ball to him he looked to bring it down and bring in non existent players then yeah, I'd say that was more threatening than Nesbitt and Vaughan dropping deep to pick up the ball to do nothing with it. He may have lost the ball a couple of times but he was pretty much up there on his own with no support so what else could he do? I'd put him down as more of a threat than Nesbitt or Vaughan was yes.

Wedderburn was man of the match because no one else did anything really. There was so many times the ball was up in the air to be won with the header and Wedderburn didn't even challenge. I genuinely can't remember anything he did to deserve man of the match apart from his run from the back. Although I can't think of anything anyone else did to get it. Flanagan would have been my man of the match given that he was the biggest threat we had the few opportunities he had to run at them and actually did a not bad job at defending given he isn't a defender.

Given any time Duggan got the ball to him he looked to bring it down and bring in non existent players then yeah, I'd say that was more threatening than Nesbitt and Vaughan dropping deep to pick up the ball to do nothing with it. He may have lost the ball a couple of times but he was pretty much up there on his own with no support so what else could he do? I'd put him down as more of a threat than Nesbitt or Vaughan was yes.
Wedderburn was man of the match because no one else did anything really. There was so many times the ball was up in the air to be won with the header and Wedderburn didn't even challenge. I genuinely can't remember anything he did to deserve man of the match apart from his run from the back. Although I can't think of anything anyone else did to get it. Flanagan would have been my man of the match given that he was the biggest threat we had the few opportunities he had to run at them and actually did a not bad job at defending given he isn't a defender.
Bring in "non existent" players? Eh? The invisible winger? The phantom striker? Duggan showed his menace by fluffing the best chance he had. He's currently as thrratening as a sheep.

3 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
8 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

Bring in "non existent" players? Eh? The invisible winger? The phantom striker? Duggan showed his menace by fluffing the best chance he had. He's currently as thrratening as a sheep.

Aye pretty much. Also, the difference between having an actual striker on the pitch as opposed to Vaughan who isn't a striker is clear. The positions Duggan takes up when we're on the attack is much different from the ones that Vaughan and Nesbitt take up because he plays as a striker rather than a free role and doesn't drop deep for the ball. He plays through the middle of the defences and finds the gaps that are exposed. Let me know when Vaughan did that cheers. There were times where he had found the space and the ball didn't get passed to him so he has the potential to be dangerous but isn't really given the chance to be dangerous. I really hope you're not talking about the through ball that bounced too far in front of him... That's utter madness if you are saying he fluffed that chance...

Will the interviews for a manager be concluded today. Really fear for this club. The club have no money and won’t spend that little extra to get the experience we need. Accountants will always look for the cheapest option. Where are we headed?

7 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Will the interviews for a manager be concluded today. Really fear for this club. The club have no money and won’t spend that little extra to get the experience we need. Accountants will always look for the cheapest option. Where are we headed?

Surely its about getting someone in we can afford. We have to live within our means. Are you offering to put your hand in your pocket to contribute to a manager who'll command a higher wage? No? Yet you expect and demand others to spend money we don't have.

Surely its about getting someone in we can afford. We have to live within our means. Are you offering to put your hand in your pocket to contribute to a manager who'll command a higher wage? No? Yet you expect and demand others to spend money we don't have.

Wasn’t looking for an argument, just gathering the info from others. The manager we get will have to deal with the fact we have absolutely no money to strengthen. If I had the cash I would. But do my best to get a long to games. So in essence I do put my hand in

If the plan was to see how cuthbert got on and hope that he would be a replacement, now that it hasn’t worked, do you think the board may have to end up forking out a little more than they wanted to?
From a negotiating point of view, we are on the back foot a bit after plan A not working. This may cause agents to push for a slightly bigger fee? The main thing is we get someone in with experience. I would say keep cuthbert on the coaching staff, the players like him and maybe coaching is his strong point.

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

I would be pleasantly surprised if we've even started the interviews today, let alone finished them.

Cuthbert will be in charge on Saturday. The best we can probably hope for is a 'new manager watches on from the stand' type scenario.

3 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
3 hours ago, Holy Marv said:

He's as threatening as a sheep because two of our three centre backs on Saturday spent every opportunity shelling the ball forward rather than trying to play it through the midfield. This combined with one wingback who isn't good at attacking, and one who isn't good at defending. Our set up on Saturday isolated the likes of Duggan and Nisbet. Anyone can see Duggan isn't a target man, and that Nisbet isn't going to win high balls.

Whoever is managing on Saturday needs to get our players back in a formation where we'll see the benefits of them. If we have defenders trying to hoof it long, then they should be dropped for players who'll actually want to play into midfield. The performance against Forfar at home shows we can play good football on the deck. There's no need to "protect" McKay or Watson against teams like Montrose, who with no disrespect, don't have the same fire power as a top end championship team like Ross County. If either of those lads are to go on to forge careers in the game (and justify our youth fund) then they need game time.