The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

I'd rather do it the other way around ie appoint the likes of Danny Lennon and have Cuthbert as his assistant, learning along the way.

That way Cuthbert will be given time to develop and we'll avoid appointing yet another long ball manager. Personally, I'm utterly sick to death of  that brand of football.

If we do go for the likes of Duffy and his ilk it will prove that the new board has learned absolutely nothing from the mistakes of previous boards.

That would be the best way I think Cuthbert still has a lot of learning to do but I fear that our board lack experience in football to make the right call.  I hope i'm wrong.

If the likes of Lennon haven't applied, are too expensive or simply don't want the job, there's not much we can do. 

From some of the names linked to the post, Duffy is far from the worst name mentioned. I'd certainly take him over Cuthbert. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

It will be Cuthbert. It’s typical Rovers. Waste a couple of weeks of everyone’s time and appoint someone they could have appointed immediately. 

Edited to say I’m not actually opposed to it being Cuthbert. He’s as much chance as anyone else linked with the job to get us up. 

Kevin Nisbet as a right wing back. I dunno, man.

It was reported that Smith and the board had a number of fall outs and that their relationship was strained. Cuthbert will be seen as a yes man and will take whatever shit comes his way... that probably ticks a lot of boxes for the BOD. They are already going on about how professional he’s been and how he deserves a home game to prove what he can do.

17 minutes ago, Typicalrovers said:

Lennon’s been interviewed before and never got it. Not surprising if he doesn’t fancy entering the process again. Especially given the mess we made of it before.

Heard Cuthbert looking to get Billy Stark on with him. Any win on Saturday and I expect he’ll get it. Safe, cheap and easy. The accountants way.

Lennon got it spot on in his interview last weekend. Why move from a part time club where your chairman backs you to the hilt, to go to a club where the last manager left under questionable circumstances? Clyde should be looking to win that league given that the main standout team is a Peterhead squad managed by Jim McInally who is a disaster.

Barry Smith had a reputation for being a hard worker, even if unglamorous. He did match reports for the Evening Tele in Dundee when he wasn't managing before. But he's happy to walk away from a role for no reason at all with us. The board might be happy to give the media and fans the story that they thought it was going well, but I'm sure that within the footballing circles people will have a better picture (and even then, it's hardly a massive secret)

I'd be delighted if Stark came to us btw. He's been an excellent manager for Queens Park, and helped a few managers starting out in their careers.

Cuthbert isn't a cheap option if its done properly, he needs a backroom team of some sorts. 

He also isn't a particularly safe option based on the two performances under his stewardship, with the line up against Brechin a particular point of concern. 

It won't be Cuthbert. If the BoD wanted him then he'd have the job. There's no way they're going to wait for him to win to appoint him that just makes no fucking sense at all. It would just mean that they've wasted time and resources.

If it's a manager from another club they want then there's obviously approaches to be made, compensation packages to be agreed and contracts drawn up. It also might confirm rumours over Petrie at Montrose. Not going to poach a manager a couple of weeks before we play his side.

If a club sacks a manager then they have all the potential candidates in place before they sack him. Then it's a case of interviews and appointments. With this situation, no one saw Smith walking out. So the BoD have had to open the position and wait for candidates applying and drawing up a list of who they want.

It won't be Cuthbert. If the BoD wanted him then he'd have the job. There's no way they're going to wait for him to win to appoint him that just makes no fucking sense at all. It would just mean that they've wasted time and resources.

If it's a manager from another club they want then there's obviously approaches to be made, compensation packages to be agreed and contracts drawn up. It also might confirm rumours over Petrie at Montrose. Not going to poach a manager a couple of weeks before we play his side.

If a club sacks a manager then they have all the potential candidates in place before they sack him. Then it's a case of interviews and appointments. With this situation, no one saw Smith walking out. So the BoD have had to open the position and wait for candidates applying and drawing up a list of who they want.
Thanks for clarifying Eric.

Stewart petrie is contracted with us till 2021.Be surprised if he did go but you just never know in football these days.

22 minutes ago, mo83 said:
41 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Stewart petrie is contracted with us till 2021.Be surprised if he did go but you just never know in football these days.

Depends if his contract lets him go for free to a full time team like Milne and Barry Smith had.

Petrie's name hasn't appeared in the media at all so I would be surprised if he is in for the job.

As someone who (unlike Smith) actually managed to achieve a championship title in a two horse race, if he is even the slightest bit interested and it's financially viable we should be speaking to him.

Disappointed with the news about Barry Robson no longer being considered and preparing for him to be given a chance at a rival soon and doing a Jack Ross or David Hopkin.

Id definitely take Petrie but if he's not an option then for me we should be going cap in hand to Lennon.

So to sum up anyone but Jim Duffy.

Refreshing to read a board come out with such honesty and keeping the fans in the know. If only our board could have this level of communication with the fans.

Hang on - the board have done video interviews to the tune of about 2 hours in the last few months. Say what you want about them but being open to the fans isn’t a criticism you can level at them.