The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’ve no problem at all with that list. Each candidate different in their own way - no point shortlisting five rookies, or five experienced types.

Duffy or Robson for me, possibly edging to Robson. Cuthbert or Clark strike me as mistakes.

Disappointing that such a howler made it into The Courier, which is usually excellent for football. 

No qualms with that list - more or less as expected. I personally wouldn't be looking at Cuthbert or Clark, however. The latter is a complete weapon, if I remember rightly. 

Clark strikes me as being someone who'll take every bit of credit if it goes well, but if it goes wrong then he'll be like Hughes and try to mitigate any damage to his reputation.

I'd be happy with Robson tbh. He seems quite level headed, and while there's nothing to judge him on he has experience of coaching. You'd hope he could apply his experience of working at a high level compared to the others.

Wouldn't be upset at Duffy either though.

Sheerin was class at us, but as a player, Stewart Petrie basically managed the games. Sheerin used his contacts to bring in Falkingham though, one of our best players in recent times. Sure he’ll have made more contacts in his time up at Aberdeen.

The ‘safe’ pair of hands from all they names looks like Duffy.

Not at all, who were you expecting to be on there?

Uninspiring would maybe have been a better way to put it.

The name that jumps out at me is Lee Clark and all I can think of is Gary F Locke.
He’s failed everywhere he’s gone. Absolute no from me.

I think Cuthburt would be a massive mistake too. Seems like a good guy, might be a good coach, may make a good manager some day but he’s only worked under Barry ‘no imagination’ Smith.

I was hoping to see a Lennon or someone like that who was experienced and ambitious but I guess he hasn’t applied....

From that list I wouldn’t be too disappointed with Duffy as a safe pair of hands or Robson as a gamble.

But then again I was ecstatic when Hughes took over....

It’s probably a bit of lazy journalism from the Courier. Given the mistake with Duffy’s previous club, you can’t imagine anyone’s taken any time to write that. The shortlist names they have mentioned are obvious ones that have already been mentioned. It’s not to say they are correct or indeed the only ones lined up.

i keep checking into the forum to see if there is any update on your new manager, to be honest i am a little surprised it is taking so long.

Having missed promotion last year, before a ball was kicked in anger you would have thought Smith would have been under heavy pressure already, and the board would maybe have had a plan b in the works for if Barry had a poor start (was Cuthbert maybe that plan?)

Of the candidates mentioned, i would have thought Robson was the best appointment to make, even given his relative inexperience. He will have good contacts up here, and has played under a host of good managers. He should bring the lift that would bring raith on to a bit of consistency, and maybe cuthbert stays as the no2, to keep the wage bill down on the new coaching team 

I reckon if you take a lower league journeyman, in the short term it might be enough for this year, but longer term the championship will pose a tougher test. Usually these boys are available as they have proven they struggle at a higher level.

I've seen worse lists than that tbf.  Duffy is the leading candidate for me.  I know he isn't on everyones short list but Lee Clark at this level should do a job.  Sheerin has had success at Arbroath and 4 years coaching at Aberdeen.  Robson and Cuthbert both risks but who knows it might pay off.  Could be alot worse.

Duffy has had a resurgence due to his recent time at Morton but he has been in management for 30 years and has won one league title in that time.

That said, I wouldn’t be going ‘aw naw’ if he was appointed. He at least has experience and he did well at Morton. I’d still prefer Lennon but I suppose the Board can only go on applications received.