The New Raith Rovers Thread

McPherson leaving QP for St Mirren means there's yet another vacancy with which I'd imagine a few managers may find attractive. Especially the ones we're currently sniffing about. Wouldn't be a bad job for someone like Duffy to go for. Less pressure, plenty of finances/resources and lower expectations.

I appreciate the board wanting to make the right decision on the new manager however what is taking them so long!? They must not think an Irn Bru Cup game or two leagues games against Brechin or Montrose are of any importance otherwise they'd of moved quicker than this. The new manager is missing out on hours of training and implementing a new style whilst Cuthbert and god knows who else tries to shoehorn Kevin Nesbit to right wing back. 

Edited by He's Got No Hair

6 hours ago, Stelios said:

Interestingly, all 6 of the trophies we’ve won in the last 25 years have been with a first-time manager (Nicholl x3, Calderon x1, McGlynn x1, Murray x1). Balance that with the 2 rookie managers who effectively relegated us (Anelka, Heterston) our track record isn’t too bad on appointing new managers although Jimmy Thompson (punted to early) is debatable 

With the exception of McKinnon and possibly McVey (punted too early), the experienced managers have been relative dross or failed to keep us up (Dalziel, Scott, Locke, Hughes, Smith, Munro, Nicholl v2.0, Levein,

I agree with almost everything in your post except Levein. Although his statistics / win ratio etc don't look good, I defy anyone who watched us under Dalziel then Levein to say there wasn't a huge improvement in our fitness, shape and style. He certainly gave McGlynn a stronger starting base when he came in, but unfortunately had to work with the likes of Armand One and Sean Kilgannon. 

Why haven't you offered Jim Duffy the job already? He's exactly what you need. Would get you promoted and keep you up next season.  Tippy tappy football is overrated.

Who’s to say he’s even applied/wants it. He’ll know/be pals with Barry Smith.

9 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I agree with almost everything in your post except Levein. Although his statistics / win ratio etc don't look good, I defy anyone who watched us under Dalziel then Levein to say there wasn't a huge improvement in our fitness, shape and style. He certainly gave McGlynn a stronger starting base when he came in, but unfortunately had to work with the likes of Armand One and Sean Kilgannon. 

Mental to think how we went from being so dross under Dalziel, to having a decent chunk of the season unbeaten under McGlynn.  Obviously, he got rid of some utter shysters like Kilgannon out the squad, but we still had a turn around. Levein had a huge part in that as you say. I don't think we even won a game under him, but he turned things more professional.

It's imperative we get a manager in before the Arbroath game as someone has already mentioned. I'm getting worried though because I'd imagine there should be a handful of stand out candidates who should have been invited for talks by now. I get being cautious but with the chat seeming as though the board have taken a week whittled 40 down to 12 then another week to then whittle the bunch down to half a dozen just makes me feel like they are being far too cautious.  There must be stand-out candidates.... Surely?!

Mental to think how we went from being so dross under Dalziel, to having a decent chunk of the season unbeaten under McGlynn.  Obviously, he got rid of some utter shysters like Kilgannon out the squad, but we still had a turn around. Levein had a huge part in that as you say. I don't think we even won a game under him, but he turned things more professional.
Did we not beat someone (possibly Stranrear) 4-0/1 under Levien? Or was that right at the start of the McGlynn era?

Just now, Dazzle said:
1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Did we not beat someone (possibly Stranrear) 4-0/1 under Levien? Or was that right at the start of the McGlynn era?

It was one of my first seasons following Rovers, so some moments stick out. In particular not winning a home game for 8 months until we beat Ayr 1-0 at Starks in a scrappy game, before we got knocked out the cup by Dumbarton with Borris and Winter playing blinders.