The New Raith Rovers Thread

I liked the Mckay Wedderburn partnership at the back felt we were more solid and with Gillespie and Matthews in middle our movement was much better.

Didn't get a chance to go last week to the Forfar game but I've felt very sorry for Matthews recently. He's a player that's given a lot to the club and in the last few seasons he's been very up and down and mainly because he's been forced wider and wider. Through the middle has always been his strongest way of playing and when I heard he had a stormer against Forfar I was happy to hear it. Is Wedderburn a natural CB or was he just filling in? The fact that him and McKay managed to keep Baird out shows how good the 2 of them must have been.

50 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Didn't get a chance to go last week to the Forfar game but I've felt very sorry for Matthews recently. He's a player that's given a lot to the club and in the last few seasons he's been very up and down and mainly because he's been forced wider and wider. Through the middle has always been his strongest way of playing and when I heard he had a stormer against Forfar I was happy to hear it. Is Wedderburn a natural CB or was he just filling in? The fact that him and McKay managed to keep Baird out shows how good the 2 of them must have been.

Wedderburn's ability to pick a pass and try and play a ball out from the back (atypical of many scottish lower league centre backs) meant we brought Gillespie and Matthews into it dar more often, which in turn meant more dangerous balls played into strikers feet or behind the defence.

From memory, when Jim Duffy went to Morton from Clyde the P&B masses pished themselves laughing.

Then he’s had a decent enough initial spell at Morton before being sacked for a shite spell at Morton.

After Gary F Locke, Mad Yogi and boring Barry Smith I’m not expecting much, so if we appoint him *shrug* but I’d rather have Danny Lennon.

2 hours ago, SuperHans said:

can't believe I'm agreeing with Eric Drysdale

Just getting a wee feeling that Donati, whilst putting his future managerial career on the line, could certainly be a bit of of a plus for the club, certainly in terms of profile both her and back in Italy. I really couldn't countenance someone like Duffy, too old school and not in touch with modern football, I'm sure McGlynn has learned a lot form Rodgers and the Celtic connection could also be to our advantage.

I think raising the profile of the club will be part of the appointment and I can understand that, I actually have a bit of faith in the squad we have to show enough to win the league this year, and it will be up to the new manager to take us beyond that.

From memory, when Jim Duffy went to Morton from Clyde the P&B masses pished themselves laughing.

Then he’s had a decent enough initial spell at Morton before being sacked for a shite spell at Morton.

After Gary F Locke, Mad Yogi and boring Barry Smith I’m not expecting much, so if we appoint him *shrug* but I’d rather have Danny Lennon.
That's my thoughts. He struggled out of a division against part time teams and Morton won the league with only 69 points. To put that in context since 2000/01 season only 3 teams have won the league with less points... Stirling in 2009/10, us in 2002/03, and QOTS in 2001/02. I may be wrong but I'm also sure that it took them until the final day of the season to actually win it all well.

So he's hardly "guaranteed" to get us out the league. All in all Duffy would be along the same style as Barry Smith and completely uninspiring.

Folk are suggesting Goodwin but only cause Alloa gave him a chance in management and he proved last season he was good enough.