The New Raith Rovers Thread

The other thing is that a new manager coming into this situation has to change virtually nothing. It's not like he's coming into a situation with a sacked manager and a team struggling or coming in with a budget and a transfer window. Our squad is so small that the starting team basically pics itself and Barry Smith had them playing good football before he left.

Cuthbert set the team up differently and maybe he tried to be too clever. But it was also a cup that was last on the list of priorities, another trip that we could have done without and an opposition who are good enough to win the league above us. All of that on top of the shock of the manager leaving. I don't blame Cuthbert and nor will I be judging his managerial abilities on Saturdays result.

16 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Putting the sensible head on, I agree entirely with this. 

We need to get up and Duffy has previous. 

Aye, maybe - the thing about Duffy's style is that it's pretty direct, to put it nicely. If the only real advantages our full time status gives us is in fitness, then surely attempting some kind of possession game, to stretch teams and chase the ball, might be better than head tennis against centre backs. I'm no stickler for a given style, but we all thought Smith got it wrong last year for such tactics...

Edited by renton

I always thought Dundee and Morton under Duffy played some decent football, especially compared to what we have suffered lately.  I’m sure he is adaptable enough to play a way which suits the players at his disposal should he come here. You surely don’t coach/manage at the levels he has for 25 years without being able to change things up if/when required!

Lee Clarke is a complete clusterfuck, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Starks, likewise that wee badge kissing hoor Novo.  Don't want any of the old boys back or any of the old guard of Scottish management.

Donati might be worth a punt, could certainly improve our profile, Robson might be in there too, working under a talented manager, should have learned a fair bit. Both have only recently stopped playing so players will relate to them well and both could probably still get a game at this level.

TBH I hope they just take their time and get the right man this time

1 hour ago, Pride of Fife said:

I always thought Dundee and Morton under Duffy played some decent football, especially compared to what we have suffered lately.  I’m sure he is adaptable enough to play a way which suits the players at his disposal should he come here. You surely don’t coach/manage at the levels he has for 25 years without being able to change things up if/when required!

Think the Morton fans called it Duffyball, and it involved mostly playing over the head of the midfield. Michael Tidser seems to have had a bit of a renaissance since Duffy left, possibly due to seeing some of the ball.

8 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Just what we were saying on the way back from Dingwall, that he can't jump and isn't running well.  Perhaps he's carrying / protecting an injury?

Or was the McKinnon season a one off for Bene ?

He hasn’t been the same player since - then again that could have been said for a few of his current and ex colleagues 

3 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

If you coach Clyde to the bottom of the national leagues and relegate more teams than just about any manager in Scottish football - which Duffy has - then having 25 years experience of league coaching is not a stand-alone achievement. He's been effective in patches and a joke figure in first team management for other spells in that time: he's a slaphead version of John Hughes.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Worth noting for all Duffy got Morton up, he had a far larger budget than pretty much every team, aside from the worst Dunfermline team in living memory. They scraped it over the line and he was universally disliked by their fans.

He was never universally disliked: there were many who were deeply underwhelmed by his appointment and our season at this level showed continued, major flaws in his management at times. He had however goodwill from many fans because of his playing career and the fact that he had to build a playing squad from scratch which accounted for at least some of the jobbers he brought in. By about the time of reaching the League Cup semi-final he has gained respite from even his most consistent critics - including yours truly - but he rapidly frittered that away by treating reaching the play-offs as the pjnnacle of all footballing achievement and pretending that he was managing the equivalent of a village social club without the resources to do any better. You could count on him doing a steady lower midtable job with a midtable budget at that level but was incapable of pushing his ambitions at the club any further and so was rightly binned.

Duffy is good at some parts of the job - coaching young centre-backs in particular, also drilling defensive organisation over a longer period of time - but limited in others. If some of the most frequent complaints about Barry Smith involved shoe horning players out of position to fit a formation he was beholden to, Duffy will offer more of the same. He loves a 4-4-2 with sand-dancer wingers and so his teams are often reduced to shelling the ball over the heads of the central midfield due to a lack of presence there. If you're looking for a manager who will change things during the course of a game then he is incapable of doing that as well and will routinely not even bother to try anything more than like for like substitutions to no effect. 

Raith's squad doesn't strike me as an obvious fit for Duffy's approach but you could do considerably worse. Appointing Nacho Novo for one would be tremendous comedy value. 

He was never universally disliked: there were many who were deeply underwhelmed by his appointment and our season at this level showed continued, major flaws in his management at times. He had however goodwill from many fans because of his playing career and the fact that he had to build a playing squad from scratch which accounted for at least some of the jobbers he brought in. By about the time of reaching the League Cup semi-final he has gained respite from even his most consistent critics - including yours truly - but he rapidly frittered that away by treating reaching the play-offs as the pjnnacle of all footballing achievement and pretending that he was managing the equivalent of a village social club without the resources to do any better. You could count on him doing a steady lower midtable job with a midtable budget at that level but was incapable of pushing his ambitions at the club any further and so was rightly binned.
Duffy is good at some parts of the job - coaching young centre-backs in particular, also drilling defensive organisation over a longer period of time - but limited in others. If some of the most frequent complaints about Barry Smith involved shoe horning players out of position to fit a formation he was beholden to, Duffy will offer more of the same. He loves a 4-4-2 with sand-dancer wingers and so his teams are often reduced to shelling the ball over the heads of the central midfield due to a lack of presence there. If you're looking for a manager who will change things during the course of a game then he is incapable of doing that as well and will routinely not even bother to try anything more than like for like substitutions to no effect. 
Raith's squad doesn't strike me as an obvious fit for Duffy's approach but you could do considerably worse. Appointing Nacho Novo for one would be tremendous comedy value. 
This sounds like something our board will love. He sounds very similar to Smith's team last season. Can't see Novo getting anywhere near the job. He's a bit similar to Donati who seems to have been linked in the basis he's ex old firm alone. At least Robson has some coaching experience.

6 hours ago, renton said:

Aye, maybe - the thing about Duffy's style is that it's pretty direct, to put it nicely. If the only real advantages our full time status gives us is in fitness, then surely attempting some kind of possession game, to stretch teams and chase the ball, might be better than head tennis against centre backs. I'm no stickler for a given style, but we all thought Smith got it wrong last year for such tactics...

When we ran over this division a few years back we didn't have a tremendous possession based game of knocking the ball from side to side, we just absolutely went after teams, pressured them high up the pitch and countered as quickly as possible. 

If you have a slow build up it allows time for teams to just sit in and get there shape. 

Just what we were saying on the way back from Dingwall, that he can't jump and isn't running well.  Perhaps he's carrying / protecting an injury?

Not sure if he is carrying an injury, but he is certainly still carrying quite a few pounds overweight which is a disgrace for a so called professional athlete!!!!

43 minutes ago, Daysgoneby said:

Not sure if he is carrying an injury, but he is certainly still carrying quite a few pounds overweight which is a disgrace for a so called professional athlete!!!!

agree with that, not the player he was and I think Wedderburn would do better there at the moment

It was clear when he was outpaced by that mammoth from Cowdenbeath that he's lost something. Hoping he can find it again.

I'd heard a story about Bene holding a record for the biggest weight increase over pre season when he was at Dundee. I think he enjoys a bit of the good life off the pitch. It seems that getting himself into shape last season and then his injury took its toll and now he seems to struggle to get it back.

It comes back to the old debate about McKay v Davo. Can you risk leaving a player of his standard and experience out from with limited size and experience?

Mckay is the best Centre Back at the club, leaving him out is foolish in the extreme. 

Davidson is a liability and Bene is nowhere near the player he was pre injury. Starting either of them ahead of Mckay would be outrageous in my view. 

Its no coincidence that when a half fit Bene was thrust into the team last season that our defending turned to shit at times.