The New Raith Rovers Thread

Saturday has shown me we can’t take a risk with a manager. We need an experienced guy who’s been there and done it and knows his stuff. We played the same formation throughout even though it wasn’t working. Wedderburn needs to go back to cb and bene out, he is atrocious. Need a new rb pronto. Saturday was an absolutely terrible performance and we were incredibly lucky county changed formation in  the second half so we could match them or it would have been 10+-0. Whilst Robson seems like a candidate, I just don't think we can risk an inexperienced manager.

Untested managers are always a big gamble no matter what their credentials. Scott Booth had many caps for Scotland, had played overseas, had a UEFA pro licence and had spent years working within the SFA yet he was a complete flop at Stenhousemuir.

Saturday has shown me we can’t take a risk with a manager. We need an experienced guy who’s been there and done it and knows his stuff. We played the same formation throughout even though it wasn’t working. Wedderburn needs to go back to cb and bene out, he is atrocious. Need a new rb pronto. Saturday was an absolutely terrible performance and we were incredibly lucky county changed formation in  the second half so we could match them or it would have been 10+-0. Whilst Robson seems like a candidate, I just don't think we can risk an inexperienced manager.
Yeah judge Cuthbert on a single game in a competition we're not fussed about at a club in the league above us a few days after the manager's shock resignation. Really objective. Who do you think these experienced, been there before, know their stuff managers are? Look up the ladybird book of dinosaurs and start there.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

Untested managers are always a big gamble no matter what their credentials. Scott Booth had many caps for Scotland, had played overseas, had a UEFA pro licence and had spent years working within the SFA yet he was a complete flop at Stenhousemuir.

Can't remember who said it, but one of the folk on the Pele Podcast said he organised the players into three circles asking "Who has played for their country? Who has played Champions League? Who has done neither?" and he stood between the circles on his own. Complete weapon of a man by all accounts.

It's a very valid point from people to look to someone with as much experience as possible. We can't spend any longer in this league and really need to get out at the first instance. As much as we might be missing out on someone who could be brilliant. I can get why people want someone who knows what they're doing. The last thing we need at the moment is a former player who'll come in with an ego.

Lee Clarke is a big name but he loved the revolving door at Rugby Park. Our squad of 16, or 21, however you want to look at it, won't suit that.
His signing strategy at Kilmarnock was so short term, 15 loans in a year, whilst it appears Barry Smith took the huff at not being allowed 1, on top of Wright. Whether he's actually interested remains to be seen, but I'd rather not pursue it.

I'd far rather have a go with Barry Robson than than a Jim Duffy or serial failure Paul Hartley. The guy played at the top level in this country along side some superb players and is now working under one of the best managers. As others have said he's been linked to a few jobs over the past year so if he has decided were the right club for him to move onto then I'd be delighted.

I'd far rather have a go with Barry Robson than than a Jim Duffy or serial failure Paul Hartley. The guy played at the top level in this country along side some superb players and is now working under one of the best managers

I don't know what Paul Sheerin did to be described as one of the best..

I'd far rather have a go with Barry Robson than than a Jim Duffy or serial failure Paul Hartley. The guy played at the top level in this country along side some superb players and is now working under one of the best managers. As others have said he's been linked to a few jobs over the past year so if he has decided were the right club for him to move onto then I'd be delighted.

I'd agree with that completely. He'll not move away from Aberdeen unless it was for the right club. He has no attachments to us as a player either which I also prefer. It doesn't make too much of difference on the whole but I'd personally hate to see someone like Laurie Ellis fait the same way legends like Hetherston and Daziel did. I'm also not worried about someone like Duffy coming in. His record as a manager isn't one littered with success but getting Morton up, then getting them stable and then getting them top 4 and a league cup semi final with the squad of 26 players isn't something we should be turning our noses up at.

As it's already been mentioned; the conundrum is that any manager with experience is out of work at the moment for a reason and unless it's Barry Smith, most of the reasons aren't good. Any new manager comes with no previous experience but the background is important. A player who's been involved in coaching for a few years and working with a club at a high level is ideal. Alloa took Jack Ross from Hearts and he's done ok for himself...

Jim Duffy would be a sensible appointment.  

Things would be different if we weren’t part way through a season and any new guy had time and a bit of money to do his own thing.

As it is though, Duffy knows this level inside out, knows what it takes to win this division, is respected by most as a good coach, good manager, his experience speaks for itself and he doesn’t have the ego or self importance of guys like Hartley has or Hughes did.

I would love us to unearth the next best thing in Scottish Football management but we really need to be looking at things short term where getting out of this league is prioritised above all else

Grant Murray...

Grant Murray is probably a completely different person since his time with us. The fact that when we look at his appointment in hindsight, you do have to wonder what we were expecting to happen there. In the end he brought us a trophy and didn't relegate us. Wasn't a success story but wasn't a completely failure either. That probably shows that he's actually very good at his job and why he's been at Hibs under Stubbs and Lennon and will be part of the reason why Hibs have gone from strength to strength since he's been there.

Would I have him back? I think it's always seen as a backwards step going back to an old manager. Especially one who has a very small imprint on the club. Would he come back on the other hand? I doubt it very much.

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Grant Murray is probably a completely different person since his time with us. The fact that when we look at his appointment in hindsight, you do have to wonder what we were expecting to happen there. In the end he brought us a trophy and didn't relegate us. Wasn't a success story but wasn't a completely failure either. That probably shows that he's actually very good at his job and why he's been at Hibs under Stubbs and Lennon and will be part of the reason why Hibs have gone from strength to strength since he's been there.

Would I have him back? I think it's always seen as a backwards step going back to an old manager. Especially one who has a very small imprint on the club. Would he come back on the other hand? I doubt it very much.

thanks for that Eric

Any manager from any club who goes on the type of bad runs that Murray did should expect to get sacked. The cup win often clouds just how bad it was at times to watch. The 2nd half of the 13/14 season was just diabolical. 

I'd take the FFP reports with a healthy dose of salt after the Cardle /Flood exclusive.  

This argument is just going round in circles [emoji23].

Should we create a list of ex managers and categorise them into a successful group and an unsuccessful one and then categories those groups into 'no previous experience' and 'experienced' and then from there we won't need people to reply to every suggestion with an example of a manager with or without experience and how good or bad they did?

2 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

Jim Duffy would be a sensible appointment.  

Things would be different if we weren’t part way through a season and any new guy had time and a bit of money to do his own thing.

As it is though, Duffy knows this level inside out, knows what it takes to win this division, is respected by most as a good coach, good manager, his experience speaks for itself and he doesn’t have the ego or self importance of guys like Hartley has or Hughes did.

I would love us to unearth the next best thing in Scottish Football management but we really need to be looking at things short term where getting out of this league is prioritised above all else

Putting the sensible head on, I agree entirely with this. 

We need to get up and Duffy has previous.