The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, SuperHans said:

I'm sorry but whether or not there is any truth in this story. If people genuinely think it's acceptable for a man who's half way round the world and had absolutely no experience in football whatsoever to make any type of football decision then why don't we just have a committee with all the old codgers picking the team?

Either get someone on the BoD who knows what they're doing regarding footballing matters or trust the manager that they've appointed.

I agree with the principle of this post but if Barry Smith came to me and said that he wanted to spend the rest of the meagre budget on a CM instead of the required RW or RB I'd have packed his office up for him.

11 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I'm sorry but whether or not there is any truth in this story. If people genuinely think it's acceptable for a man who's half way round the world and had absolutely no experience in football whatsoever to make any type of football decision then why don't we just have a committee with all the old codgers picking the team?

Either get someone on the BoD who knows what they're doing regarding footballing matters or trust the manager that they've appointed.

In general what you are saying is correct and you have to feel some sympathy for Smith in this regard but look at what happened with Gary Locke when the board sat back and let him carry out his scattergun signing strategy. It's a tricky one to get the balance right, but without knowing the specifics it's impossible to say for certain who is in the right.

19 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

It's not a football decision it's a business decision. Something that has been sadly lacking at our club for years. 

If a budget was agreed at the start of the year and Smith has spent it, then that's Smiths decision. 

The Board backed Smith when fans wanted him sacked. 

They trusted him with the budget he agreed. 

He signed the players he wanted. 

Edited by graeme_p

Right so because the previous BoD made a mistake with Gary Locke, every manager this club gets will now have to run all of their signing decisions past John Sim and Bill Clark? The BoD either have to trust the manager that they've signed to do a job or bring someone in that has some kind of experience or knowledge on the subject.

Smith needed a CB last season, we had Robertson playing unfit and out of position for a big chunk of the games. Regardless of who Smith wants to sign, you have to trust his judgment. The BoD aren't asking him what he thinks about the business decisions they're making, and I'm sure Smith would rather have had more money than a plastic pitch. So what grounds do they have to tell a manager how to do his job?

What will this say to the group of out of work managers looking at Raith Rovers?

Locke signings put us in a financial hole that will take time to recover from hence why the playing budget is probably not as big as it could have been.  Smith's inability to change things round in terms of formation or having no Plan B in the great Alloa debacle was enough for me not to be a fan. Having said that he has made some decent signings by the look of it and I don't agree we poisoned chalice for prospective managers especially those minded to flexible attacking football.

Some have said Nichol was untried when we brought him in hence Ellis, Easton or Cuthburt should be given the job. One problem, where do we find a Martin Harvey these days?  We need a manager with reasonable experience who has the vision to play a formation that suits the squad at his disposal and the ability to change things round when required, someone who can inspire and leas and not just bang the same old drum all the time.

It really does depend on what the board new about his intended target.

If Sim flat out rejected Smith regardless of who he wanted there is a significant problem, but, if on the other hand Smith said he was looking at another centre forward or central midfielder then it's no wonder he was told no.

22 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Right so because the previous BoD made a mistake with Gary Locke, every manager this club gets will now have to run all of their signing decisions past John Sim and Bill Clark? The BoD either have to trust the manager that they've signed to do a job or bring someone in that has some kind of experience or knowledge on the subject.

Smith needed a CB last season, we had Robertson playing unfit and out of position for a big chunk of the games. Regardless of who Smith wants to sign, you have to trust his judgment. The BoD aren't asking him what he thinks about the business decisions they're making, and I'm sure Smith would rather have had more money than a plastic pitch. So what grounds do they have to tell a manager how to do his job?

What will this say to the group of out of work managers looking at Raith Rovers?

why do you feel the need to defend smith to the hilt, you really do dig yourself into a hole at times, are you hans or martin or Eric? If your Eric your posts make sense if not, then really

37 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

You're having a laugh surely?      Smith had a CB available in McKay,  but he chose to play Robertson out of position instead.  That had nothing to do with the board and everything to do with Smiths apparent reluctance to bring through any youngsters unless he had no other choice, despite it being one of the goals he'd been set by the board.