The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, renton said:

If the guys hands in his resignation, and you accept it, I'm not sure there is much left to talk about?

Perhaps they feel the issues leading to his resignation can be fixed, and are attempting to work around a solution. They have obviously backed him. His Players - His Squad. Time will tell, although I would be stunned, as many would, if we announced BS would continue/come back.

I can't recall a situation in recent memory where a manager has resigned, then came back a week later.

It's pretty obvious SIM runs the whole show it's no surprise Smith will come out and say he couldn't work with the board when the board could just as easily say they couldn't work with him anymore. As he has handed in his resignation I certainly wouldn't be begging him to come back.

what makes it obvious that it is Sims? I'd expect it to be the other way around - If you've got a difficult relationship with the board, that's likely to be the ones there on a day to day basis surely?

The fact that he's been working with the current BoD members since the start of the season and hasn't handed his notice in and when Sim arrives in Kirkcaldy for the game on Saturday, he handed his notice in.

Clark has covered his arse by saying things were tricky but they were behind him even when things were going against him. He's clearly not happy with the current circumstances which makes me wonder if the goalposts have been changed. If he wasn't happy with things he could easily have walked well before now.

We’re still talking to Barry, but I don’t know what the outcome of those talks will be. All we’ve decided so far is that Kevin will take the team on Saturday. We’ve not looked beyond Saturday yet.

You can't refuse a resignation. It's a contractual fact. He might withdraw the resignation but the club would have no obligation to give him his job back (so long as it wasn't deemed to have happened in the heat of the moment). I really hope they don't, else we all look bigger arsemonkeys than we do already.

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

I agree with a lot of what your saying but the players this year seem to be buying into his plans,If a yogi comes in then all hell could break loose again, too risky Imo.

So far in the league this season the team has performed well for about 100 mins, Stranraer and East Fife games were awful. Not sure the players are buying into his philosophy.  But the potential of another Hughes is a valid concern, I feel sticking with Smith and potentially not getting promotion again is just as scary.

Clark not really giving anything away there. ‘Nothing has changed since summer, Barry was getting the chance to sign a player over the weekend and has resigned’.

I’m sure we’ll get a very different tale from Smith’s perspective.

Reading between the lines, if Smith is citing boardroom issues for his resignation, especially if the withdrawal of funds is true, the board are perhaps worried that he may claim constructive dismissal and try and put a claim in. That’s maybe why we are in talks with him.

22 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

So far in the league this season the team has performed well for about 100 mins, Stranraer and East Fife games were awful. Not sure the players are buying into his philosophy.  But the potential of another Hughes is a valid concern, I feel sticking with Smith and potentially not getting promotion again is just as scary.

Certainly in the former game we looked flat and with very little penetration but with Matthews on one side, and Valentine on the other that should be expected. The EF game, Buchanan had a stinker and they marked Flanagan out of the game. Only in the last two games has he had the attacking options available that the team needed and it's showed. Forfar couldn't cope at all with the movement of our front line.  Operating with a small squad means you are going to really miss guys when they aren't available. 

14 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

certainly didn't celebrate with Smith after the 4th goal at Airdrie. 

I wouldn't look to much into that to be honest. If everything was rosy between the players and manager I'd still have suspected the players would have ran straight to the fans rather than bypass them to go and celebrate with Smith. Smith himself was very animated during all our goals against Forfar, fist pumping, jumping about, the lot. Certainly didn't show signs of someone contemplating jacking it in.

Certainly in the former game we looked flat and with very little penetration but with Matthews on one side, and Valentine on the other that should be expected. The EF game, Buchanan had a stinker and they marked Flanagan out of the game. Only in the last two games has he had the attacking options available that the team needed and it's showed. Forfar couldn't cope at all with the movement of our front line.  Operating with a small squad means you are going to really miss guys when they aren't available. 

AND getting Wedderburn out of midfield where he is so cumbersome and immobile, he just slows everything down. The midfield on Saturday actually gave the forwards a platform to work from.

4 minutes ago, Daysgoneby said:

AND getting Wedderburn out of midfield where he is so cumbersome and immobile, he just slows everything down. The midfield on Saturday actually gave the forwards a platform to work from.

Very true actually, while having him at centre back gives us the ability to play from the back that Smith had so desired, and been frustrated by Davidson on countless occasions.