The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Massimo Donati getting mentioned in the interview with Matt Elder on Rock Sport Radio.

That’s bizarre, a mate who lives in Hamilton was playing tennis with him the other night.

Apparently that’s where he lives now but he travels to Italy to commentate on Italian tv every weekend!

2 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

That’s bizarre, a mate who lives in Hamilton was playing tennis with him the other night.

Apparently that’s where he lives now but he travels to Italy to commentate on Italian tv every weekend!

Good stuff. We can release him on match days just like the Pars did with Neil McCann.

23 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

Only caught the end of it. Was there anything interesting said?

The only thing I really took out of it was that a lot of this appears to have come down to budget, the board would promise Smith X amount of money for a player & he would put in an offer for one then have to withdraw it as it suddenly appears that the money he was promised isn't there in the first place :rolleyes:

Regarding the budget issue, the only scenario where Smith would be due any sympathy would be if the board have reneged on a previously agreed budget and vetoed potential signings prior to the window.

Assuming that isn't the case, then Smith would've known his budget since the summer and if he didn't like it he should've walked then instead of waiting this long. And that's before we get onto the fact that the reason we're operating on a reduced budget is his failure to meet his objective last season.

10 minutes ago, liam_barnett said:

The only thing I really took out of it was that a lot of this appears to have come down to budget, the board would promise Smith X amount of money for a player & he would put in an offer for one then have to withdraw it as it suddenly appears that the money he was promised isn't there in the first place :rolleyes:

If that's true then that's not great for us moving forward.

Regardless of who's to blame for what, since Smith took the job, a lot has changed at the club and in his shoes not for the good.

Since his arrival there's been a club buyout, boardroom shuffle, 2 chairman, budget slashed, change of training facility and a plastic pitch.

Managers are selfish because they don't have a very long shelf life, especially if things don't go to plan. Smith doesn't care about the club or the fans, he cares about doing as best as he can for his own career. He's not interested in the savings made by moving from Michael Woods which has modern indoor and outdoor facilities, gyms and swimming pool to Starks Park which doesn't have a working sprinkler system yet. He's not bothered about the BoD trying to keep the club on a secure financial footing by not giving him more money to spend on players and he couldn't care less where we are in 10 years time. All he wants is results and to get himself as high as possible in football.

I don't blame him for that, I'm not naive enough to believe that he's all about Raith Rovers etc. The next manager who comes in will be just the same. Only problem is that anyone that sees why Smith left might think twice before chucking their hat in the ring.

A

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Regardless of who's to blame for what, since Smith took the job, a lot has changed at the club and in his shoes not for the good.

Since his arrival there's been a club buyout, boardroom shuffle, 2 chairman, budget slashed, change of training facility and a plastic pitch.

Managers are selfish because they don't have a very long shelf life, especially if things don't go to plan. Smith doesn't care about the club or the fans, he cares about doing as best as he can for his own career. He's not interested in the savings made by moving from Michael Woods which has modern indoor and outdoor facilities, gyms and swimming pool to Starks Park which doesn't have a working sprinkler system yet. He's not bothered about the BoD trying to keep the club on a secure financial footing by not giving him more money to spend on players and he couldn't care less where we are in 10 years time. All he wants is results and to get himself as high as possible in football.

I don't blame him for that, I'm not naive enough to believe that he's all about Raith Rovers etc. The next manager who comes in will be just the same. Only problem is that anyone that sees why Smith left might think twice before chucking their hat in the ring.

and Imo that came through in the way he did his job, he didn't care,unlike john mcglynn who threw himself into the club, town, fans etc and help rebuild our great club. He has gone we need to move on

I for one am delighted that we train back in Kirkcaldy, yes Michael woods is a good facility but we lost our connection with the town. Players only came here on match day unlike characters in the past like dazza ,silky,jock mcstay who have a genuine affection for the club and town. If it means having to drive to a local gym so be it,we have a swimming pool in Kirkcaldy and if we save money even better. Results have hardly been great since we moved to Michael woods as well

A
and Imo that came through in the way he did his job, he didn't care,unlike john mcglynn who threw himself into the club, town, fans etc and help rebuild our great club. He has gone we need to move on

Maybe it did. I wouldn't say he was overly keen for getting involved with the fans and town etc but would that have made him any better as a manager if he did.

He had a job to do and granted it didn't work the firs time but that made him even more determined because he was getting seriously desperate. If he had failed this season by either missing out on promotion or being sacked mid season then any chance of a career in full time football was gone for a long time. He wasn't the given the tools he felt he needed for the job and walked.

This is now on the BoD and owner of the club IMO. Do they make the job attractive and magic up some funds from somewhere or do they keep to the rule they've set and hope we can get a new manager who can work under these conditions?

4 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Maybe it did. I wouldn't say he was overly keen for getting involved with the fans and town etc but would that have made him any better as a manager if he did.

He had a job to do and granted it didn't work the firs time but that made him even more determined because he was getting seriously desperate. If he had failed this season by either missing out on promotion or being sacked mid season then any chance of a career in full time football was gone for a long time. He wasn't the given the tools he felt he needed for the job and walked.

This is now on the BoD and owner of the club IMO. Do they make the job attractive and magic up some funds from somewhere or do they keep to the rule they've set and hope we can get a new manager who can work under these conditions?

I agree ball firmly in there court lets see what they do with it, I wanted Barry to succeed and wish him well for the future but his personality didn't help him, he is a serious quiet guy who likes to get on with his job, not a attention loving media darling like yogi.

I for one am delighted that we train back in Kirkcaldy, yes Michael woods is a good facility but we lost our connection with the town. Players only came here on match day unlike characters in the past like dazza ,silky,jock mcstay who have a genuine affection for the club and town. If it means having to drive to a local gym so be it,we have a swimming pool in Kirkcaldy and if we save money even better. Results have hardly been great since we moved to Michael woods as well

Yeah it's a nice thought but it's changed days since all that. Smith said in his interview last week that they don't have the same video analysis facilities as we had at Michael Woods and they have to use a makeshift set up in the club.

Michael Woods was also a seriously good asset to prospective managers and player signings. Having a choice between a club that maybe train on a public park or a club who have the most up to date modern facilities was a real bonus. Now we have an excellent playing surface but no gym or indoor training facility.

Like I said, a new manager coming in won't think about how nice it is that Raith are back at Starks, he'll think it's a pain in the arse having to organise cars and shuttles to get players to a gym for some training.

We've also been using Michael Woods since 2013. So it's hardly like you can pinpoint our poor form on it.

Edit to add: Jackie O's was also still open when Sinkie, Dazza etc were around. I'm sure those lads were making plenty of "connections with the town".

29 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I take it you weren't at the game last Saturday.