The New Raith Rovers Thread

Buchanan has always been a penalty box striker. Asking him to do the work he's been asked to do for the past year is always going to affect his game.

352 Wright mckay bene murray Watson valentine Nat flannagan/milne (cam) Gillespie Vaughan nesbit.

442 Wright Watson mckay bene murray Vaughan Gillespie Nat flannagan duggan nesbit.

433/451 Wright Watson mckay bene murray gillespie Nat Matthews Vaughan nesbit Flanagan.

Granted we have to get all of those players fit, but on paper that's three formations we could play with what we have available. You can easily interchange personnel where needed.

We will continue to see a 442 that doesn't suit what we have available week in and week out though.

This 4-4-2 is exactly a rigid formation. That's what I find very frustrating from all the critics. There's plenty of time when we've been in possession (particularly at home) where Watson has pushed up and worked on an overlap with Matthews who's pushed inside to make a 5 midfield leaving Bene, McKay and Murray at the back. I'd agree with the Buchanan statement. He was and looked a completely different player yesterday which was very refreshing. Nisbet out wide looked very impressive and it seemed Duggan and Nisbet did the work outside of the box to get the ball into Buchanan. Flanagan swapping sides every now and again gives us a great option from deep with Gillespie and Nat Wedderburn feeding him it as often as possible. Milne and Vaughan coming back and Davo ruled out really is quite exciting.

I'd be worried about Watson for his inexperience, any manager watching our highlights would see our right hand side is the weakest area for us.

Interesting side note that Davidson wasn't discussed in the interview at all which suggests to me that Barry had likely discussed not wanting to talk about it before they started. I hope he's gone. But we do need another defensive player in.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 03:25, Pride of Fife said:

I’m actually of the view that we would have won the league if we hadn’t signed Smith at all. Probably the worst keeper I’ve ever seen play for us. Smith’s (manager) persistence/stubbornness in keeping him in goal so long was baffling.

Also agree that if we don’t have the players to fit in comfortably to a rigid 4-4-2 then we need to be working on something different. Squad is full of central defensive and defensive midfield players and we are playing to many guys out of position far too often

I'm of the opinion that had he not dropped Smith and put Lennox back in we would have won the league. Smith was utter pish but he had a better campaign than Lennox did.

For me, there's a few factors.  Losing Lennox to injury was one. I think so far from what I've seen, I'd far rather we'd have had Wright than either of them. Also later in the season we dropped Dave McKay in favour of an unfit Benedictus. At the time, McKay had only really had issues against Shankland. He took a month or two to bed in properly, but he now looks like a real asset and should be playing week in, week out.  

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

For me, there's a few factors.  Losing Lennox to injury was one. .......... Also later in the season we dropped Dave McKay in favour of an unfit Benedictus.

Agreed.

I think if we hadn't lost Lennox to injury in the first place we'd have done better.

If we hadn't dropped the utterly-gash-but-still-part-of-a-solid-defence Smith for the returning Lennox we'd have done better.

If we hadn't dropped McKay for the shadow-of-his-former-self Benedictus we'd have done better.

Bad decisions following bad luck in my opinion.

It was always hard to pick between Smith and Lennox. Can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm sure they each conceded about the same amount of goals during their stints I'm goals. However, when you look at how many of those goals conceded were clearly preventable and how they cost us then you tend to jump to Smith being the shitter keeper. But then on the other side of it, Smith did make some pretty good saves that kept us in games. It was just 2 equally poor goalies in my opinion.

Wright looks ok, but he seems to have bags of confidence.

Any predictions for when posters will stop looking for excuses for us not winning the league last year ?

Amazed that the fact that Ayr had a better team has never been mentioned, in the thousands of posts on the matter.

Width of a post.

Harty [emoji199]

20 hours ago, RRFC2711 said:

As daft as he is, Davo is our enforcer, as much as i can see the get rid scenario we are going to need him this season, mark my words.......

might be better off at the FIA on a Saturday night

Edited by Ancient Mariner
wrong spelling

On 8/26/2018 at 17:00, Rovers1992/1993 said:

These aren’t allowed anymore I’m sure. Every loan has to be a full window - window loan now. Once the window shuts as well, no club can make any type of loan unless it’s for a Keeper as well i think.

Well I wouldn't want to loan half a window, couldn't shut that :lol:

During the summer and the previous January window, there was always a few folk that seem to know there was other (non signed) players training with us/were going to sign with us. Was that purely coincidence that they were at Michael Woods for a swim also, or were they in the know. I’d like to think even though Barry’s a stubborn hoor, there is surely folk he’s looking at to bring in on loan. Is there anyone in the know to this? Or is our current squad it, until January...?