The New Raith Rovers Thread

Read through posts for a few years so thought I’d finally join my fellow Rovers fans in this madness! 

The result was very disappointing today and the performance was mixed.

Despite not defending very well, I thought we played some good stuff at times, with Gillespie, Wedderburn and Nesbit having good games today. Buchanan’s legs have gone and it’s obvious for everyone to see. The groans from 80% of fans now when he gets on the ball or loses it is a pretty damning verdict on a once very good player in his younger day. We have seen it so many times with players who seem to come to us one or two years to late, i.e Liam Fox (couldn’t run), John Daly... Rudi Scacel (10years too late). He still makes channel runs that he was doing when he was 25. Needs to change his game completely and make more intelligent movements, otherwise as it looks at the moment he is finished. 

Barry Smith is Barry Smith. I wanted him gone at the end of last season. Tactically inept and so uninspiring. His interviews on Raith TV are terrible. No wonder he doesn’t inspire the players. Christ. The crowd was so flat today and the goodwill towards this manager has run out I’m afraid. 

Going to be a long season. 

Edited by Rovers 1883

Pretty poor show from the fans who cheered when buchanan went off today. He's been pish but he's still our player for the remainder of the season, unfortunately.

I know he has been poor, but you can see it’s frustrating him as much as it is frustrating us as fans.

37 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Pretty poor show from the fans who cheered when buchanan went off today. He's been pish but he's still our player for the remainder of the season, unfortunately.

It's the only way Buchanan will ever generate a cheer at Stark's unfortunately. An absolutely atrocious signing he's been.

I get that but what use is it to essentially ridicule one of our own players 3 games into the league campaign? I think he's past his sell by date but to cheer him being subbed off is idiotic. He's here for the season regardless of how he performs.

Personal point here, but wanted to comment on an observation over the years. 

I have noticed on all fans forums and the tension between fans who are accused of  “criticising players/management” and fans who “support un-Waveringly”players/managers. Aka. The boo boys versus the happy clappers. You see/hear this in the stands every week between fans of differing opinions. 

I  feel that as a fan you should say what you see, not what you want to see. 

So if the team /manager/individual players are good and we are playing well, like we have done over various points of RRFC history, then celebrate that and wax lyrical! However, if the team/players or manager is shite then you have a right as a fan and paying customer who travels home and away to say it’s shite! I have never understood why by simply voicing your opinion, even a negative one, based on what you see, you become less of a fan? 

I read this forum and this whole “back the manager” “get behind the team” nonsense is thrown out all the time. If we followed this strange logic we would still have grant Murray in charge. Or if you want to go more recently we would currently be playing in non-league with a Gary Locke in charge if we weren’t allowed to expect better or criticise players/mangers/tactics/signing policy/the board. 

We are all passionate fans and paying customers, so fans being honest is crucial for any football club to gauge the temperature of their support. 

So. Smith is shite. His tactics are shite. Buchannan is finished. Our football is awful. Our tactics are abysmal. I will still be there at Airdrie. I still have my season ticket. I still love Raith Rovers. 

If we fail to win next week Smith must be on a very sticky wicket. Lose, and it's 5 points from 4 games. Draw and it's 6 points from 4 games, which is still not good enough. Then it's Forfar at home. If we fail to pick up a win out of the next two games then he will surely be finished.

33 minutes ago, Rovers 1883 said:

Personal point here, but wanted to comment on an observation over the years. 

I have noticed on all fans forums and the tension between fans who are accused of  “criticising players/management” and fans who “support un-Waveringly”players/managers. Aka. The boo boys versus the happy clappers. You see/hear this in the stands every week between fans of differing opinions. 

I  feel that as a fan you should say what you see, not what you want to see. 

So if the team /manager/individual players are good and we are playing well, like we have done over various points of RRFC history, then celebrate that and wax lyrical! However, if the team/players or manager is shite then you have a right as a fan and paying customer who travels home and away to say it’s shite! I have never understood why by simply voicing your opinion, even a negative one, based on what you see, you become less of a fan? 

I read this forum and this whole “back the manager” “get behind the team” nonsense is thrown out all the time. If we followed this strange logic we would still have grant Murray in charge. Or if you want to go more recently we would currently be playing in non-league with a Gary Locke in charge if we weren’t allowed to expect better or criticise players/mangers/tactics/signing policy/the board. 

We are all passionate fans and paying customers, so fans being honest is crucial for any football club to gauge the temperature of their support. 

So. Smith is shite. His tactics are shite. Buchannan is finished. Our football is awful. Our tactics are abysmal. I will still be there at Airdrie. I still have my season ticket. I still love Raith Rovers. 

So your a boo boy fan then?

@rovers1883 I'm far from a happy clapper but ridiculing the players we have signed up, 3 league games into the season isn't helping anyone. I think the likes of buchanan is past it but cheering him going off is nonsensical. Why will he bother his arse next week if he's still getting paid and being ridiculed for trying? We all pay our money to watch it but there's a time and a place to criticise the players and it isn't in the manner that happened today with buchanan. The problem is the manager, his tactics and the way he's wasted his budget for this season (such as it was)

Buchanan hasn't bothered his backside since he signed for us. He's come to us on a nice little earner to see out the last couple of years of his career. He saw us coming a mile away, unfortunately for us. 

Also, what happened to him today will have happened to other players at grounds all over the country today. 

Buchanan hasn't bothered his backside since he signed for us. He's come to us on a nice little earner to see out the last couple of years of his career. He saw us coming a mile away, unfortunately for us. 
Also, what happened to him today will have happened to other players at grounds all over the country today. 
On your final point, and? We're struggling 3 games into the season and cheering someone who is going to start more games than not for the foreseeable future being subbed off is a good thing? Buchanan looked pretty good his first 10 (rough number) games for us. His first touch was good and he was scoring the chances he should have been. He's turned to shit since but its just pathetic listening to him being cheered off the pitch.

24 minutes ago, grumswall said:

@rovers1883 I'm far from a happy clapper but ridiculing the players we have signed up, 3 league games into the season isn't helping anyone. I think the likes of buchanan is past it but cheering him going off is nonsensical. Why will he bother his arse next week if he's still getting paid and being ridiculed for trying? We all pay our money to watch it but there's a time and a place to criticise the players and it isn't in the manner that happened today with buchanan. The problem is the manager, his tactics and the way he's wasted his budget for this season (such as it was)

Fully agree Grumswall. Booing the player isn’t really productive. 

However,  it is a sign of the fans wanting the manager to see what they see! That’s always what booing is. A sign of displeasure and you hope those it were intended for get the message.

You are right, the  manager is the problem. If you strip it back it is actually his fault for signing him in the first place as he is clearly past it, yet  he  starts him for over a year due to his loyalty. When he inevitably plays poorly he is basically being thrown to the lions in front of the home crowd. Not buchannans fault he is past it but it’s not helping the manger or the player or the supporters so he should be taken out of the side for good unless we have injuries or as a late sub. 

I think maybe you or someone else said he looks frustrated. Absolutely right, he look frustrated because he knows he is finished. 

Edited by Rovers 1883

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I reckon any decent professional would try extra hard to prove his critics wrong the next game if he had been jeered by the fans. Are you seriously saying the reaction he received today would justify him not trying next week? IMO he should think himself lucky the fans have been this patient with him. He has already had one entire season of being pish. Without doubt he is one of the most disappointing signings in my time watching the Rovers.

I for one won't be shy at venting my frustrations in the forthcoming matches. 

Fucking boooo

Buchanan at the time he was signed was either the top or second top goalscorer in this division so on paper was a good signing.

He wasnt booed off he was cheered off. Which is where my issue lies.

Rr #1, you seem to make an ussumption he is a decent professional? In fairness to him I don't think it's through lack of trying that he's pish now. He's just lost what he had. He's also a bit of a bellend to speak to though...

Boo all you want. I'm just saying how shite it is that one of our players was cheered off the pitch because he was so shit.

Balance to be had over the “back the manager” stuff. All very well saying it’s pish but some would have had McKinnon out in the January of that season, that would have been a huge mistake.

Buchanan is trying very hard, of that I have no doubt. 

He just looks like a 32 year old whose best days are clearly behind him.  Not sharp enough and hasn't been since he signed. 

Smith is incredibly fortunate that we both managed to get far enough up the pitch to get the second pen, and that Dumbarton got a late goal. 

Its a matter of time though unfortunately. Any time any positivity has started to build its flown out the window the next week. 

8 hours ago, grumswall said:

He's also a bit of a bellend to speak to though...

Every time I've spoken to Buchanan I've found him to be exceptionally polite and easy to speak to.

It hasn't really worked out for him so far at the Rovers but to be fair to the player, he spent most of last season having high balls shelled at his heid. 

That's similar to asking Kevin Byers to write a book on how to pick up supermodels. 

We're only three games in to this season so I'm willing to give him a wee bit of time yet.