The New Raith Rovers Thread

We are very strict at Bayview about footwear. Its true that flat shoes do flatten the pile as do blades. No one wears blades now so thats not an issue. we even insist that referees wear studs.

Interestingly (well for me anyway!) our pitch has just been tested for the end of the defects liability period & there has been little loss of pellets over the year & the pile is as new. As I've said before it really is all about the maintenance.

I was interested in what the guy in video said about watering the pitch. We were told that it would be a waste of time as on 'normal' days the pitch would be bone dry after 15 minutes of being run on! I am really am looking forward to seeing the Raith pitch tomorrow, I love these surfaces.

Edited by LiamA

I don't know what surface Cove put down, but theirs looked utterly shite in the highlights. Brand new as well. 

Black bits of rubber bouncing everywhere was never going to be a good look so no idea why it took until now to use green there. 

3 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Anyone know how long until Vaughan is back? Last I heard it was said he would miss the start of the season. Thought there would have been news of him atleast training again by now. 

At half six on Tuesday night he was doing quite a bit of running on the pitch, as to when he'll be back, that's up to the Doc.

McDiarmid  astro behind the main stand also bans flat soles - moulded studs or Astro trainers only.  Starks pitch looked really good on Saturday ,  bounce not erratic which is a problem with older/poorly maintained surfaces. 

22 hours ago, Enigma said:

You probably do alright out the Challenge Cup with the amount of finals you have hosted.

Apparently they're not that lucrative to host, I asked last year as to why EEP was never put forward for them and the impression I got was that it wasn't quite worth the hastle tbh. 

7 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Anyone know how long until Vaughan is back? Last I heard it was said he would miss the start of the season. Thought there would have been news of him atleast training again by now. 

If he's stressed his ACL, which is what it sounds like, then they won't want to set a timescale. 

Diddy Cup

Are you talking about the League Cup or Challenge Cup? I thought a specific event had happened that prompted the earlier post but, if you are referring to the Challenge Cup, I completely agree. They’ve fucked it.

1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

Are you talking about the League Cup or Challenge Cup? I thought a specific event had happened that prompted the earlier post but, if you are referring to the Challenge Cup, I completely agree. They’ve fucked it.

Irn Bru Cup, or whatever it is called these days. Farce of a competition. How the SPFL can say it's exciting for fans I have no idea. In days where every pound is a prisoner they are expecting clubs like Formartine to travel to Ireland, Dunfermline have to travel to Surrey, which is all well and good because there is a small fund to help clubs out but what about the supporters?

First game of the season down at Stranraer the crowd was 424, 120 of us Rovers fans, ok so that's Stranraer a bit fecked but with club league attendances in decline, what is the chance of any kind of decent turnout for these daft ties?

As per usual, the SPFL is totally disregarding the fans participation in Scottish football outside of the old firm.

The problem with Scottish Football is that too many of our population want to go and see the ugly sisters. Also the fact we have 42 senior clubs for a country that has just over five million is just mental.

Add in what else people can get up to on a Saturday nowadays and there you have it. Modern day attendances. 

24 minutes ago, lgb61 said:

Irn Bru Cup, or whatever it is called these days. Farce of a competition. How the SPFL can say it's exciting for fans I have no idea. In days where every pound is a prisoner they are expecting clubs like Formartine to travel to Ireland, Dunfermline have to travel to Surrey, which is all well and good because there is a small fund to help clubs out but what about the supporters?

First game of the season down at Stranraer the crowd was 424, 120 of us Rovers fans, ok so that's Stranraer a bit fecked but with club league attendances in decline, what is the chance of any kind of decent turnout for these daft ties?

As per usual, the SPFL is totally disregarding the fans participation in Scottish football outside of the old firm.

I hope one season the final is a team from outside Scotland against another team from outside Scotland.  Or is the draw set up to ensure this cannot happen?

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

The problem with Scottish Football is that too many of our population want to go and see the ugly sisters. Also the fact we have 42 senior clubs for a country that has just over five million is just mental.

Add in what else people can get up to on a Saturday nowadays and there you have it. Modern day attendances. 

Scottish football attendances are the highest per capita of any nation in Europe that isn't a microstate. They're also high by just about any comparison with former periods in time - including those of provincial clubs whose crowds were typically lower than they are today for the bulk of their post-war history. And the idea that there shouldn't be 42 'senior' teams is ridiculous given that i) 'senior' is nothing more than a name for a certain club status ii) the attendances, pricing and therefore revenue of Scottish football easily supports hundreds of teams and ii) there are actually are far more than '42 senior clubs' is utterly ridiculous. 

Other than all of that though, a solid 0/10 'yer da' take on Scottish football.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Scottish football attendances are the highest per capita of any nation in Europe that isn't a microstate. They're also high by just about any comparison with former periods in time - including those of provincial clubs whose crowds were typically lower than they are today for the bulk of their post-war history. And the idea that there shouldn't be 42 'senior' teams is ridiculous given that i) 'senior' is nothing more than a name for a certain club status ii) the attendances, pricing and therefore revenue of Scottish football easily supports hundreds of teams and ii) there are actually are far more than '42 senior clubs' is utterly ridiculous. 

Other than all of that though, a solid 0/10 'yer da' take on Scottish football.

Incredible. 

Now away with you.