The New Raith Rovers Thread

19 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Yes you have done in the past, but based on your crowds you aren't in the top 16 teams in Scotland so why would  you expect to be challenging for the playoffs? In the current championship you'd have larger crowds than Alloa, and similar crowds to Ayr and Qots, although of course if you were up Ayr wouldn't be... 

It's unreasonable to suggest that off the back of your crowds that you should be challenging for the playoffs, if the stars align and you get a good squad+manager then it's absolutely plausible you will of course, it's not massively above your level. How many times has that been in the past 20 years though? 3? I'm not entirely sure so I'll let a statto correct me on that one. 

I've got absolutely no qualms with the suggestion that Raith could challenge for a playoff spot, Livingston got promoted last year with two men and a dog in the home end, but the suggestion that you should be after a 1400 home crowd is pretty wild. 

With that said best of luck this season, miss you guys x

We could always spend money we don't have! Anyway you could argue all day about where teams should be or expect to be it doesn't always work out that way.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Our first team tonight with only Bene being rested. :lol:

Absolute Shambles from Smith yet again.

Only decent thing is Thomson and Duggan back on the bench.

In fairness, Milne, Wedderburn and Flanagan especially needed game time on the back of an interrupted pre-season. So I don't actually mind them playing too much - yes, an injury would be a massive set back given our small squad but on the other hand that very small squad necessitates us having evetyone operating at peak condition. Davidson was bound to play.  Would probably have dropped Murray and Gillespie to allow Stevenson or Berry and Valentine some game time right enough.

Actual colts would be good. Rovers v 11 young horses. I'd pay to watch that.

Make a change from the 11 horses arses you're used to watching!!![emoji6]
I'm sure Stevo could sort out a team photo for you!!!

This cup really is a joke and just need scrapped. Can't think any teams actually make money out of it. I know if you get drawn away to any of the Welsh or Irish (and now English) teams the SPFL give you a contribution to your costs (£5k I'm sure but maybe someone can confirm) but I know any team who played away last season lost money. I've no doubt by using the floodlights etc tonight we will be down.

I'm actually amazed we got that much tonight so fair play to anyone who went down.

It's also an utterly wrong view, I've got an unbiased view of Queens Park but if I was to suddenly say they should be challenging for the Premier league title it wouldn't then make it a fact would it? 

Not really, if clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Patrick and United were in the top league like they really should be then Raith would be in the very position I said... They’re better supported than Hamilton and Livingston. Raith are underachieving, so are Dunfermline.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not really, if clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Patrick and United were in the top league like they really should be then Raith would be in the very position I said... They’re better supported than Hamilton and Livingston. Raith are underachieving, so are Dunfermline.

We're a top end Championship side/lower end Premiership side, we're right where we should be and deserve to be. 

What four sides do those four sides replace in the Premiership? 

Wedderburn deserved MoM, a different player than on Saturday

Milne and Flanagan will do this club proud.

Watson far better than his few games last season

Good performance all round.

Best to come out of tonight's match. Duggan and Buchanan did nothing to justify starting against The Fife

No goalkeeper in Scotland would have saved the Aberdeen goal, well applauded in the South Stand.

We're a top end Championship side/lower end Premiership side, we're right where we should be and deserve to be. 
What four sides do those four sides replace in the Premiership? 

Well United are the 6th biggest club in the country. As for the other 3 St Johnstone, Hamilton and Livingston.

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Well United are the 6th biggest club in the country. As for the other 3 St Johnstone, Hamilton and Livingston.

Regardless of them being the 6th biggest, who drops out? St Johnstone are just as big as Partick, Falkirk and ourselves, if they were in the championship you'd inevitably be telling them they're underachieving, it's nonsense. And Hamilton and St Johnstone are bigger than Raith so even if they dropped down would you expect Raith to finish above them? 

There's a bunch of clubs of around similar sizes in Scotland and not all of them can fit in the Premiership, that's a good thing as it creates good competition in the championship, you can't say though that four teams are underachieving in the championship when there isn't space in the Premier for them? 

And we've not even mentioned Ross County, who although with a smaller fan base than the teams mentioned (although larger than Raith) have a generous owner. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Regardless of them being the 6th biggest, who drops out? St Johnstone are just as big as Partick, Falkirk and ourselves, if they were in the championship you'd inevitably be telling them they're underachieving, it's nonsense. And Hamilton and St Johnstone are bigger than Raith so even if they dropped down would you expect Raith to finish above them? 

There's a bunch of clubs of around similar sizes in Scotland and not all of them can fit in the Premiership, that's a good thing as it creates good competition in the championship, you can't say though that four teams are underachieving in the championship when there isn't space in the Premier for them? 

And we've not even mentioned Ross County, who although with a smaller fan base than the teams mentioned (although larger than Raith) have a generous owner. 

This about sums it up very nicely. 

There's varying differing attendance tiers in Scotland. Some clubs go between them, others stay static. The Pars fall into a category with Dundee, Falkirk, St Mirren and St Johnstone  who are all teams who'll go between the Premiership and Championship. St Johnstone currently have been in the top flight for a good few years, but will fall down at some point when things come about. 

Clubs like ourselves, Queens, Morton and Ross County probably have a naturally level of mid table Championship with the occasional spell in league 1. 

Some clubs defy the expectations or rules in one way or another. Accies seem to pull a rabbit out the hat each season and survive at the top. They've achieved far more than us over the last ten to fifteen years in the way of promotions and youth talent they've brought in. Ross County have Roy McGregor propping up the club on the back of Global Energy Group. Livingstone somehow got promoted against all odds.  

I'm not sure why anyone would be too bothered about the goings on at other clubs. It's pointless until we get ourselves back up in the Championship, and look to see how we can grow as a club. We're at least making the right moves with steps like the new app released, and trying to get more ideas into the club to make things more engaging. 

12 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Anyone know the last time we had a lower crowd than last night? My initial thought would be the mid-80’s, possibly before I started going, but I’ve genuinely no idea.

There was a crowd of 200 odd for a midweek home match against Stranraer in the mid 80s I think. It was before I started attending but I've seen it mentioned a few times as a low point for the club.