The New Raith Rovers Thread

We're just lulling everyone into a false sense of security, come Stranraer the team (what's left of them) will gel and we will be shoe ins for the title again, honest.

25 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

We got relegated...

What a load of rubbish, left a team that had made the premiership play off, he cant be blamed for Drysdales epic feck up after that, he left us stronger than when he took over.   

Mckinnon didn't leave us in that situation. The board did.  They hired Locke. 

Yes but referring back to the original argument about having a manager on a 1 year rolling contract; if that manager does do well and ends up leaving, it puts the club back into a very similar position as we found ourselves in at the end of that season.

Are fans really wanting us to turn into a club that churn managers out on a yearly basis? No foundations being set in and constantly jumping from manager to manager until we find a good one? We've instantly jumped onto the sacking culture that ends up costing clubs tens of thousands and crippling ourselves. What will happen if we pump Stranrear on Saturday and go on to win the league? Will everyone who's hounding the guy out the club be back on here wondering why the club didn't offer him a 3 year deal instead of just the 2?

Will everyone who's hounding the guy out the club be back on here wondering why the club didn't offer him a 3 year deal instead of just the 2?

Why would people be wondering that?

Even if we do win the league at a canter, I can’t see any bigger club approach him anyway therefore he’s available if we want him for next season.

Supporting your local team, when it’s a small club like ours is pretty hard going. Moments that make you proud of your club are pretty few and far between. Wining the Coca Cola cup and the European adventure are obvious ones. Turnbull Hutton’s rant against Rangers that prompted Scottish football to stand up and take notice is another. Most recently though, the whole Hans/Martin/Eric thing is right up there!

Wondering who the guy really is reminds me of childhood excitement in hoping that Santa Claus was indeed real, or dreaming that you could nip into a phone box, pull your jumper up to reveal a superman outfit underneath and fly off to save the world!

17 hours ago, renton said:

Of course, any other manager might not have wanted to.

They might not have had the budget to is what I am saying. it might have been 16 including the young lads, rather than they 18 or 19 we are running with now.

18 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Anyone else fucking raging at their dad/pal/uncle or whoever the culprit is that indoctrinated you into the Rovers. b*****ds.

I dunno like.... I was force fed Rangers from a young age, and made the choice at 15 or 16 to come support the Rovers - I sit here thinking without my decision to "betray the family" it could have been a lot lot worse!

11 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

They might not have had the budget to is what I am saying. it might have been 16 including the young lads, rather than they 18 or 19 we are running with now.

There is surely an argument that 16 with a good coach, tactician and mab manager is better than 18 with a mediocre coach.

If it really is the case that the budget is all used up, then I’m struggling to see how we can get promoted this season.

You look at Airdrie and Arbroath’s squad, and they’ve certainly got more depth than us, and it’s debatable that we have a better starting eleven than them as it stands.

Dumbarton look a little light, but again, the starting XI compares reasonably well to ours.

I understand the rationale about going part time, but disagree with it. If we had, does anyone really think we could attract the best part time players considering Dumbarton’s arrangement with C&G Systems?

That said, the advantage of full time training is kind of diminished if no-one is actually fit enough to train, your players don’t fit the system you’re trying to play, you spend the entire game lumping it at Liam Buchanan’s head, and your only goalie is nine.

The League Cup campaign isn’t always the best barometer, look at Falkirk from last season for example, but being outclassed by Cove and Cowdenbeath doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

My dad and his family are diehard Dundee United fans. It was my Uncle who played for the Rovers back in the ahem 70’s that had me hooked. It wasn’t Davie Hunter being my family member, it was Murray McDermott

If it really is the case that the budget is all used up, then I’m struggling to see how we can get promoted this season.

You look at Airdrie and Arbroath’s squad, and they’ve certainly got more depth than us, and it’s debatable that we have a better starting eleven than them as it stands.

Dumbarton look a little light, but again, the starting XI compares reasonably well to ours.

I understand the rationale about going part time, but disagree with it. If we had, does anyone really think we could attract the best part time players considering Dumbarton’s arrangement with C&G Systems?

That said, the advantage of full time training is kind of diminished if no-one is actually fit enough to train, your players don’t fit the system you’re trying to play, you spend the entire game lumping it at Liam Buchanan’s head, and your only goalie is nine.

The League Cup campaign isn’t always the best barometer, look at Falkirk from last season for example, but being outclassed by Cove and Cowdenbeath doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.

I used to be really excited about the start of a Rovers season. But for the first time since the Anelka/Dalziel debacle I’ve never felt so nervous. This squad aren’t ready, aren’t good enough and defy the manager at every opportunity. Injuries plague us again. So I’m in the meh camp.

I think I am one of the few who wanted to give smith the benefit of the doubt after the playoffs. Whoever I am very concerned now, we seem to have a team that performs best when having to defend for long spells and hope to nick a goal on the counter attack or from a set piece. This is useless in league 1 when most teams will adopt those tactics against us.  Also why do we always have so many injuries? This can’t just be bad luck, Smith training schedule must be at fault in some way. Fingers crossed I am wrong but can’t see us winning this league this season!!

I think I am one of the few who wanted to give smith the benefit of the doubt after the playoffs. Whoever I am very concerned now, we seem to have a team that performs best when having to defend for long spells and hope to nick a goal on the counter attack or from a set piece. This is useless in league 1 when most teams will adopt those tactics against us.  Also why do we always have so many injuries? This can’t just be bad luck, Smith training schedule must be at fault in some way. Fingers crossed I am wrong but can’t see us winning this league this season!!
Whoah ped - that realistic and sensible point of view won't go down very well with some here. I agree with you as it happens.