The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, SuperHans said:

So when we were all scratching our heads over who we'd want as manager out of the rumoured group of; Young, Campbell, Bollan and Smith, Young would have been your preferred choice on a one year rolling contract considering his credentials?

What other up and coming young and hungry managers would you like to see as ours this season if we were to get rid of Smith?

I think it's very easy to sit back and say that the obvious solution would have been to take a gamble knowing what we know now. If anything, there's more 'whataboutery' in your argument when you make comparisons to the Livingston and Alloa managerial appointments.

I'm not for one minute sticking up for Smith in this debate at all. I did find his tactics and style of play extremely frustrating last season but the fact remains that regardless of how, we were extremely close to winning the league. I'll save my judgement this season once I see how we start the league campaign. Getting upset about it before the seasons even started won't make it any difference.

Looks like we will continue to talk past one another. To save on continued exchanges I'll leave it here. 

1 hour ago, Wee Sandy said:

As well as most fans Sim will be seeing Smith's jaiket on a shoogly nail!!

The start to this season could be a perfect storm, injuries, paper thin squad, 16 year old McGuff apart no back up Goalie, the supposedly full time pros being battered by P/T teams from lower leagues, apparent lack of effective communication between the Manager and players on the field etc, etc, etc.

If the opening games do not give some degree of optimism gates will quickly reflect that and the cry will be for Smith out.     

It would leave us with a squad ( I was about to say team!!) who are thus far not up to what we would really have expected Rovers to field.

John Sim is a successful businessman and will not continue putting his money into a money losing "project"/ Manager without seeing big improvements ........soon!!

I hope I'm wrong but I think the board or Sim will not  act quickly they will give Smith as much time as they can . Most fans wanted him punted at the end of the season but the board decided otherwise.If they punt him straight away it will only highlight what a stupid decision it was to keep him on.

Edited by Frank conner

I can't see how anyone could argue against a club in our financial position not offering a one year rolling contract, no money to pay out if we wan't to part company, if the manager does well and move's on so be it, he'll be leaving us in a stronger position, common sense I would have thought.

So when we were all scratching our heads over who we'd want as manager out of the rumoured group of; Young, Campbell, Bollan and Smith, Young would have been your preferred choice on a one year rolling contract considering his credentials?

I can’t be arsed scrolling back 100’s of pages to find my quote, but I did say I wanted Darren Young as manager last season.

As for other teams, I’m pretty certain Jim Duffy was on a rolling contract basis with Morton until he left.

Anyway, Smith out by the end of August (hopefully sooner), that way at least we can hopefully still salvage the season.

46 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

I hope I'm wrong but I think the board or Sim will not  act quickly they will give Smith as much time as they can . Most fans wanted him punted at the end of the season but the board decided otherwise.If they punt him straight away it will only highlight what a stupid decision it was to keep him on.

It will be interesting to note the responses to results if they do not significantly improve over the next month, particularly  re. Barry Smith as we set on our promotion bid.

I would like to be proven wrong but I can't see Barry taking us further than a play off place, given current results/form, the players we have plus system of play.

I am generally an optimistic guy but there are too many negatives surrounding the team right now, it does not bode well.

Rant over

If you had attacking options then Wedderburn makes total sense. He's a total unit, albeit not so mobile...which shouldn't be a problem in League One. Don't expect him to do anything in the final third, his job is bodying lost opposition players in his own half.

1 minute ago, Wee Sandy said:

It will be interesting to note the responses to results if they do not significantly improve over the next month, particularly  re. Barry Smith as we set on our promotion bid.

I would like to be proven wrong but I can't see Barry taking us further than a play off place, given current results/form, the players we have plus system of play.

I am generally an optimistic guy but there are too many negatives surrounding the team right now, it does not bode well.

Rant over

Rovers boards usually wait far to long before they act we couldn't imagine a worse start regarding results and injuries. 

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

If you had attacking options then Wedderburn makes total sense. He's a total unit, albeit not so mobile...which shouldn't be a problem in League One. Don't expect him to do anything in the final third, his job is bodying lost opposition players in his own half.

Apparently he was getting bullied by highland league players. 

I can't see how anyone could argue against a club in our financial position not offering a one year rolling contract, no money to pay out if we wan't to part company, if the manager does well and move's on so be it, he'll be leaving us in a stronger position, common sense I would have thought.

Last manager to 'do well' was McKinnon. He left and didn't leave us in a better position...

I can’t be arsed scrolling back 100’s of pages to find my quote, but I did say I wanted Darren Young as manager last season.

As for other teams, I’m pretty certain Jim Duffy was on a rolling contract basis with Morton until he left.

Anyway, Smith out by the end of August (hopefully sooner), that way at least we can hopefully still salvage the season.

Darren Young was the 'gamble' choice in my opinion and after the flack that the BoD quite rightly got for the Locke appointment and then the disappointment of Hughes on top of everything else that they got blamed for, Smith was safer. And I don't blame them for making that choice. I also don't remember too many complaints at the time either.

As with last season we don't look any fitter than the part time teams . Does that say more about us than them?

I don't think that's a fair assessment on individual fitness from the players. Granted the injuries don't particularly help but over the course of the season there were definitely games that we won last year that were down to our relentlessness in keeping the ball and having a go. Particularly at home when teams just sat in. Games at home against Albion Rovers and East Fife where we won and scored late showed the difference between a part time team and guys training all the time.

Individually though, players culture has changed. It's a lot easier for PT players to maintain a fairly decent level of fitness throughout the season on their own merits. PT teams rely on their players doing their own stuff because they can't waste a session during the week on fitness when they could be doing set pieces or formation work etc. That's where we should have done better last season IMO. Some of our set pieces were terrible.

I'm just going to interject with this whole 'take a gamble' point of view... We interviewed Jack Ross and took Gary Locke..

Absolutely. I do think it’s worth remembering when it come later to 1st time managers for every Hopkin or Goodwin there’s a Liam Fox (also a coach at Hearts tipped for big things) a Darren Dodds or a Lee McCulloch.

10 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

I've been rather busy doing various tasks.

COVE ing the ceiling 

On a COVE ert operation 

Discovered a witches COVE ern 

Fukcove ya big horsey heeded git......