The New Raith Rovers Thread

I've no wish at all to start getting on anyone's back, but it was clear from the highlights McGuff isn't ready for the first team. 

We need Thomson back for Saturday.

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

What’s that your saying, Cove have done on 1 game what East Fife have failed to do in 30 years ?

Do you know Beastie Russell you're right so I am not going to lau............................ah f--k it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

East fife fans making fun of rovers fans for losing a game is like those africans you see on the adverts who have to walk for miles to get a drink of water, making fun of people who just have to turn a tap on to have a drink of water. Nonsensical until they can beat us/ can just turn a tap on.

Reported for racism.

It’s the Grant Murray scenario. On paper he’d probably done just enough to be afforded another go (just) but fans had lost patience so the Board knew that things would sour pretty quick. So he was binned and replaced with McKinnon. 

The difference is we couldn’t afford to sack Smith after the Ayr game so the Board took the decision to retain him and keep their fingers crossed. It’s now unravelling in spectacular fashion.  Some good viewing for fans of other clubs coming up I suspect 

It’s the Grant Murray scenario. On paper he’d probably done just enough to be afforded another go (just) but fans had lost patience so the Board knew that things would sour pretty quick. So he was binned and replaced with McKinnon. 
The difference is we couldn’t afford to sack Smith after the Ayr game so the Board took the decision to retain him and keep their fingers crossed. It’s now unravelling in spectacular fashion.  Some good viewing for fans of other clubs coming up I suspect 
I can see what your saying, but Murray had won us a cup (in spectacular fashion) so probably did (just) deserve the chance to build his own team that summer. Smith had the budget and players available to win this league last season but failed due to tactics although he has publicly said on several occasions the players weren't listening when he told them to play the ball on the deck, which in itself shows poor management. He also appears proud of having beasted the players pre season (he's said it with a smile on at least two occasions in interviews with raith TV) which seems to have resulted in a massive injury list that even sim has now questioned publicly. He needs punted and quick if we are to have any chance of promotion!

Let's turn it around then you couldn't afford to sack him 

Could turn out probably cost 30k to bin him end of last season 

It will cost the club approx 100.000 k plus if you don't go up this season 

IMO  he had not one but two bites at the cherry vs Alloa and couldn't del 

I think both Airdrie and Dunbarton will finish above Raith 

Even if Smith gets emptied in the next month or so it’s just a case of history repeating its self and the club making exactly the same 3 mistakes as they made with Gary F Locke. 

The mistakes being;

The manager being afforded the benefit of the doubt for way too long. 

Only eventually shown the door once the budgets spent leaving the new guy with no money to bring anyone in.

And above all else a pish appointment in the 1st place.

Will they ever learn?

Grant Murray was canned after poor results in admittedly meaningless games during the season run in, but realistically the writing was on the wall before that. Our cup win really did save his job as we were not far at all from ending up in the relegation play-off. The next season saw a strong start followed by the traditional slump, with a mini revival and then a poor conclusion. 

The time for emptying Smith has proabably now gone given we've built the squad and whoever comes in is stuck with it. Ironically, the squad we have isn't suited to Smith's favoured 4-4-2, but never mind...

He should've been punted after the play-offs. You can argue that would've been harsh given we were a post away from the title, but those three games pretty plainly showcased his shortcomings. 

The above said, he needs to be show the door ASAP if we don't start well. October starts to look a bit late if we're struggling. 

Can someone confirm if the bag of cash has been found?

Could be where the money for the floodlights came from.

Yes, unfortunately it was Sinky's Escudos.

It's being held at a secret location in case HMRC reject the VAT reclaim. 

Please be serious! This cash could be the difference between winning the league or languishing in this league for years.

However, it may not be our only hope...has anyone heard of rainbows? [emoji304]

It's easy to be critical of Smith but we also have to remember that he was the width of a post away from getting us promoted. I'll agree that his tactics sometimes raised eyebrows but it's very easy to sit in the stands and be critical.

The only thing that I'm holding onto is the fact that Smith has everything to lose this season. Failure and losing his job this season will likely be the end of him in the full time game at least. The same could be said for a lot of our players; the guys clinging on to full time status and the players making the change from PT to FT.

I'll save my judgment on Smith until after the first 5 games. I just hope we get behind the team this season instead of starting with the knives already sharpened. Some people are just desperate for doom and gloom.

Smith’s job was to get us promotion, failed to deliver the league title, yes very unfortunate, but let’s all agree here it was gone with 5 games to go at the draw up in Arbroath. He then failed miserably in the playoffs. 3 games back to back to Alloa and he learnt nothing. He should have been emptied at the end of the season, end of.
It is however the boards fault for given him a 2 year deal. From now on in any new manager in should be on a yearly rolling contract basis.
We’ll lose to Stranraer on Saturday and the atmosphere at SP in 2 weeks time will be disgusting.
Smith OUT.

Calls for his head and the season hasn’t even started. Mental. If we weren’t getting rid at the end of last season then we’re probably not doing it now.

On the length of deal for managers at this level, it seems a fairly precarious job. If I was a manager I would definitely hold out for the 2 year deal.