The New Raith Rovers Thread

Thomson stayed on his line too much for my liking (but no worse than any of our recent keepers) but apart from the disallowed goal I think he collected every other cross he came for. 

I thought McKay was excellent as was Benedictus after his nightmare last week. Davidson also did well sitting in front of the back four.

29 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Davidson also did well sitting in front of the back four.

Davo was brilliant at the back last season but I think some of his best games in a Rovers shirt have been sitting in front of the defence breaking up opposition attacks. 

Glad that we competed today. Keeps some of the ridiculous over-reactions at bay. 

Just now, Jack Rae2 said:

What’s the deal with a second keeper?

It's just something we're trying at the moment.

Personally I don't think it will catch on, in fact I believe every club should have eleven outfield players each taking turns as a 'backie'

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Much better today, although I suppose that playing a more defensive set up suited the available personnel.
That penalty from Matthews though, dearie me.

Watching the replays on BT Sport it looks like his left foot slips as he's about to hit the ball.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Also, it’s an absolute travesty we won’t have a regular spot for Dave McKay in this team. We finished the match with six Rovers ‘development’ players on the pitch - must be a long time since we were able to say that.

Could have been even more if Barry had shown more confidence in Rory Brian last season and hadn't axed as many of the youths.

41 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Like it. :lol: 

Are there any gardens on the Bass rock?

The best thing that can come out of today is Smith realising we don't have to play 4-4-2 all the time and adapting the formation when required. 

That's now a poor result and a good one. Hopefully those injuries heal in time for the league. 

I’m another one who thought big Dave McKay had an excellent game.

We really should be playing him as much as we can. The boy strolled it yesterday against Naismith and Lafferty. Fair enough they had us under the cosh for the last 20 minutes, but then so would most teams being 1-0 down in a cup tie. 

The game definitely suited our more defensive players this week. 

Thought Watson had a good game as well at RB. Probably should have scored in the first half, but his brilliant interception led to our goal.

Valentine on the left showing decent glimpses as well. It was his cross for Watson also. Those boys do have ability. 

We were never going to progress through this group regardless of last weeks horror show. The game up at Inverness should have the same feel as yesterday with us not really having much of the ball, so it might suit us to go with the same team...possibly Nat if he’s fit in for Matthews.

Duggan looked like he picked up a knock though, so possibly Nisbet up front and Milne out wide...

If we manage to get a couple of guys back fit, it might be an idea to play one of the league cup games without Davidson as I'd imagine he'll be suspended for the start of the league season after his red card at Alloa in the playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

If we manage to get a couple of guys back fit, it might be an idea to play one of the league cup games without Davidson as I'd imagine he'll be suspended for the start of the league season after his red card at Alloa in the playoffs. 

He's got 3 games to sit out.

Capture.PNG

A bit off topic but Joel Coustrain made his European debut in the 1st round of qualifying for the europa league. Shamrock Rovers went out to AIK in extra time of the 2nd leg. I never really bought into the hype around him as much as others but there was a player there.

41 minutes ago, kev23 said:

A bit off topic but Joel Coustrain made his European debut in the 1st round of qualifying for the europa league. Shamrock Rovers went out to AIK in extra time of the 2nd leg. I never really bought into the hype around him as much as others but there was a player there.

Tbf, the standard in the Premier Division in Ireland is probably similar to our Championship. Joel seems to be doing well now he's in the first team. I was quite happy for him to be given an opportunity given we had complete no marks like Johnstone and Roberts ahead of him in the pecking order. 

52 minutes ago, kev23 said:

On the same topic, Shamrock Rovers first choice goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu is still 16 years old, keeping veteran Alan Mannus on the bench.