The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Muza73RRFC said:
2 hours ago, renton said:
Being injured when they signed and being fit when they signed are, I think, two separate issues. The fact that all three broke down after some low tempo friendlies, or not even into game time suggests there were underlying issues at work. 
This season is starting to feel like a fucking write off before it's begun.

Last season's injuries was a joke , this season's injuries are gone be worse I think .

This seasons injuries are gone be worse? What do you base that on?

Whats the lottery numbers going to be tonight whilst your at it?

Is Smith and co maybe working the players to hard in training? He did say in one of his RaithTV interviews with a wry smile that the players were getting 'absolutely battered'.

I'd heard that this was one of the things Brendan Rodgers was big on at Celtic over the last couple of years. Working the players to new levels of intensity. It obviously works for him and Celtic but does come at the price of players being more open to injury due to not being at the level he requires from them. It's one thing being able to do that but it's another thing having the resources to step up when a first team player is injured.

It all really depends on their injuries also. It's not uncommon for niggly things to get in the way this early and if you're not 95%-100% fit then it's not worth risking it this early on.

I'd quite happily have players sidelined for the league cup games if it meant having them fit enough for the start of the season.

I'm just worried that after the first competitive game, Smith threw them under the bus after making excuses for them all last season. Will be interesting to see the reaction. There's players in this dressing room who didn't take it well when it was coming from Hughes so we'll see how they take it coming from Smith.

54 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Very hard to say that losing five players to injury at his stage of the season is "bad luck".  I'd be looking at the training that was in place because this is not acceptable - half a team out already with one competitive match played. What has Smith being doing pre-season? Doesn't seem like good preparation whatever it was.  

Regarding budgeting, Gary Locke was held in high regard by the board for understanding the budget constraints. Quite why he was allowed to sign as many players as he did remains a mystery, as it seems a bit off message. 

18 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

His blinkered approach to signing ex-Hearts players (see Kilmarnock as well) and old pals was one of his biggest flaws.

Locke is utterly bizarre to look back at. Came in with a complete track record of failure to us. The board say he's bringing experience, but you had fans begging them not to bring him in because they knew he'd be shit. The players seemed to love him (going by Bobby Barr's interview with the Pele Podcast). The board loved him for his budgeting. But it felt like the club and the fans were on a completely different wavelength.  We wasted so many wages on the likes of Osei, Coustrain, Thorsen and Scott Roberts along with first teamers who didn't perform like Skacel. The coup de grace was loaning out Vaughan for Ryan Stevenson. At that point, everyone knew the club has lost the plot. 

The deals that season may well have burned the bridges for a lot of sponsors. Commercially, we were utterly toxic. We spent more time appealing to Hearts fans for hospitality at the Scottish Cup than we did to Rovers.

Fwiw, I'm glad that now the club seem open to suggestions from fans about what we can do to improve. I appreciate that we've got a team of volunteers for a lot of areas, but there's adjustments which could be made which could look to bring us a bit forward.

Seems to be a lot of doom and gloom hanging over from last season. Understandable.

That result on Saturday was awful and the manner in which the goals were conceded was poor, but it is essentially a pre-season friendly in all but name. That’s what the League Cup has become with this league format in July, before the league season has kicked off. We now have two dud cup competitions in Scotland. Only the Scottish Cup to go. Still, we look ropey.

What will concern me is if we start the league season poorly. I can’t say I’m that impressed with recruitment so far. We seem to have got rid of any of the creative options in Zanatta, Barr, Hendry, Furtado, etc. and not really adequately replaced them.

I’m assuming either Grant Gillespie is supposed to be the replacement for Scott Robertson? Or is Nat Wedderburn supposed to fulfill that role? Or a bit of both?

Up front we look very light. If Duggan turns out to be a dud then we will be almost entirely reliant on Buchanan.

So, on paper we look weaker than last season in terms of goals and attacking options.

Barry Smith hasn’t an ounce of goodwill left with the fans, so if it doesn’t go well there will be calls for his head early in the season. I want to give Baz a fresh start but I just don’t see it happening with him in charge. I’m trying to fight that feeling and hoping he can get the team to start the season well.

Yeah I was, and he played 60ish minutes did he not? My point is folk are moaning we are singing INJURED players. We aren't. Its preseason - players will always be a couple of yards off the pace. Pre season is what builds players fitness.

Flanagan was announced on the 11th, despite missing the Dunfermline game on the 4th through injury.
I'm maybe mistaken but I haven't seen anyone mention him playing vs Dundee United or Stirling, before he missed the game on the 14th vs Cowden.
It's maybe all nonsense but we could argue he was signed injured, albeit maybe just a niggle.

Flanagan was announced on the 11th, despite missing the Dunfermline game on the 4th through injury.
I'm maybe mistaken but I haven't seen anyone mention him playing vs Dundee United or Stirling, before he missed the game on the 14th vs Cowden.
It's maybe all nonsense but we could argue he was signed injured, albeit maybe just a niggle.

Don't worry, Jules Tchimbakala has been seen at training this week. Must be looking to sign him once he gets fit.

2BE328F6-B64B-44CC-A5CB-8A88DDE3BA49-4630-000003C9F98D99F1.jpg.69f93e7b174f4af44106c350fd61104f.jpg

"Hello and welcome along to the RRFC AGM. I'm Bill Clark and as Chairman, I'll be getting the proceedings started. Did everyone bring their own candle?"

The lights dim and candles are lit...

"Turnbull, if you're out there, give us a sign. Anything, just a sign to let us know what to do."

Silence...

"Ah well, looks like we just carry on doing what we're doing guys. Thanks for coming along, see you all next year."
Lol what ones bill Clark? take it's the 1 with the glasses [emoji3]

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

The stature of this club is mid table championship. Whether you agree or not. It’s true. We have a board so out of touch with the community. They don’t seem to want to reach out. The dwindling fans is down to successive boards recruiting god awful management especially in the last few years. To have McGlynn back in the fold would be bliss

Mid table Championship club !!!!!

Im over 40, and the McGlynn - Hughes era was the longest we’d ever spent in the Championship/1st division in my lifetime.

we’re a yo-yo club like many   

Have we heard anything regarding the money from David Bates move to Hamburg?

It’s Rangers that will be due us the money, I’m sure that was confirmed on an interview a while back. So what will likely happen since they don’t have any cash, is we’ll get a player on loan “and it’ll be quits!”. (As mentioned a millions times) Another shocker from the ex-board.

5 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

It’s Rangers that will be due us the money, I’m sure that was confirmed on an interview a while back. So what will likely happen since they don’t have any cash, is we’ll get a player on loan “and it’ll be quits!”. (As mentioned a millions times) Another shocker from the ex-board.

Personally, my favourite part was Drysdale claiming "the fans should understand why we did the deal the way we did". Our deal with Rangers had f**k all to do with us getting compensation on the back of his move to Hamburg. We got compensation based of UEFA rules, rather than due to a sell on fee. Even after leaving, Drysdale still tried to make it out that the fans were the ones without a clue.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Personally, my favourite part was Drysdale claiming "the fans should understand why we did the deal the way we did". Our deal with Rangers had f**k all to do with us getting compensation on the back of his move to Hamburg. We got compensation based of UEFA rules, rather than due to a sell on fee. Even after leaving, Drysdale still tried to make it out that the fans were the ones without a clue.

I understand there was a sell on clause as part of the deal. We would have received more had Rangers sold him - The development clause is only a fall back (and worst case scenario) if the player leaves on a free, which he did.

He's in the pics posted today of the tv cameras filming pre match stuff for the weekend. There's time yet.....

Is it the fact that he's been training and playing for us pre-season and still hanging about but not signed suggest that he's got some kind of deal on the table and he's holding off for something better?