The New Raith Rovers Thread

Thomson has noticeably regressed as a player. I'd have been happy for him to stay, but he isn't what he once was and ultimately the goals he scored last season did paper over the cracks to an extent. 

In saying that, we haven't signed an RB to replace him and agree we are currently worse off in that position. Also agree that Spence is better than Duggan, but then our manager spent much of the season having the ball launched at Liam Buchanan, so hardly surprising that one didn't work out. 

Today's result was embarrassing but I'm more worried that half our team appears to be injured already. Our chances of progressing in this cup were slim anyway, so really it's making a good start in the league that matters. Hopefully we chuck it against Aberdeen Colts as well. 

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I don't know what he's like as a person and am never likely to require to find out, but I don't rate Smith as a manager. He has all the charisma of a death watch beetle but without a quarter of the industry of the insect.

As a coach he seems pretty clueless and unless things change in the coming months this club is not facing a bright future, that might sound a bit dramatic but this isn't only about losing today to Cowdenbeath, the slide in form and fortunes in the last 24 months is nothing short of frightening and shows no signs or arresting.

It's not just Smiths fault though there are others at the club who are clearly just as far out of their depth as he is.

Last season we were pipped at the post by an Ayr side who found some money to bring in new faces in January (like the Pars did when they beat us to promotion to the Prem, though look where that got 'em) and we were left to struggle on without an addition or 2 to a broken and inept midfield.  Both Milne and Connolly were there for the signing but funds couldn't be found. I reckon either could have made that vital difference, and both would surely have left Ayr in our wake. This season the budget is again slashed and unless they are keeping cash back to give the seemingly inevitable new manager in January then the BOD have clearly learned nothing from what's gone before. Sadly Mr Sim & Sinton are continuing where they left off last term with their concentration wholly on the new playing surface while the team playing on it (eventually) falters  and the fans loose interest and drift away. Talk about fiddling while Rome burned.

3 Directors were ousted because they didn't fit in with the new regime, without doubt they weren't perfect (probably far from it) and things weren't the best in their last 2 seasons when they were there but things don't seem to be improving any with them gone, in fact it looks grimmer than ever.

Truth is since Turnbull's illness forced his departure from the board this club has gone backwards, slowly at first but it seems to be picking up pace as we go.

Sadly all that's going to happen fromnowin is yes men coming in we have a week board who haven't a clue the club is still run on an amateur basis  and it won't change. This bullshit about volunteers won't change  anything it's all about getting something for nothing there's people at the club getting paid for doing f**k all it's a joke but as long as fans keep putting up with it nothing will change. 

3 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

Sadly all that's going to happen fromnowin is yes men coming in we have a week board who haven't a clue the club is still run on an amateur basis  and it won't change. This bullshit about volunteers won't change  anything it's all about getting something for nothing there's people at the club getting paid for doing f**k all it's a joke but as long as fans keep putting up with it nothing will change. 

That's a hefty amount of shite you're flinging about, would you care to come back in the morning to break it down into manageable chunks so you can have a better dig a folks?

Is anybody going to acknowledge that it might have been a mistake trying to sustain full-time football for two consecutive seasons in SPFL1 on gates of less than 1,500?

Our average attendance last season was 1,886.

ETA: Just spotted Zens post, apologies to all and sundry.

Any c**t that's 'cutting slack' and 'it's only the cup' ( the cup that is our  greatest achievement and got us into Europe) is the type of c**t that would still not have wanted Murray/Locke/any c**t else that's murder but 'he's oor manger so get behind him' sacked previously. 

4 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

That would be an ecumenical matter.

I thought that with Father Jack it was his 1st name that was Jack, turns out it is actually Wolfman.

On the Cowdenbeath thread one of the Cowden fans said, and I quote "Absolutely buzzing ! I know it's only Raith but 2-nil away first game has got to be a good start. Maybe they could just stop the season now"
I found that rather amusing:lol:

We don’t do “defeats” at Methil very often so no surprise [emoji38]

6 hours ago, Frank conner said:

This bullshit about volunteers won't change  anything it's all about getting something for nothing. 

It's giving willing people the chance to get further involved with their club. 

The Raith forum members are volunteers and have handed over money that has kept the club alive in the past. 

That's one example. Plenty of other volunteers around who keep the club ticking over with the unpaid work they are willing to do for the love of the Rovers. 

13 years I've volunteered now and the sense of satisfaction seeing something I've been involved in improving the Rovers one way or another is hard to beat. 

7 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Any c**t that's 'cutting slack' and 'it's only the cup' ( the cup that is our  greatest achievement and got us into Europe) is the type of c**t that would still not have wanted Murray/Locke/any c**t else that's murder but 'he's oor manger so get behind him' sacked previously. 

Put the red wine down and get a grip ffs. This cup is only the same by official name and you know it. That sentimental p*sh can get in the bin, it's a completely different competition from what it was when we won it.

As I've said I'm in no way a Barry Smith fan, I wanted him out the door after the disgrace of last season but we're stuck with him now, at least for the short term, and in my opinion it's ridiculous that some people are calling for his head after ONE 'competitive' match.

I shudder at the thought of some people on here ever being allowed to volunteer nevermind join the board. Barry Smith only had 3 of his new 7 signings available for selection yesterday as well as a handful of others unavailable AND he's clearly stated his recruitment is unfinished. Give some of you dafties your own way and we'd be making the club even more of a mess by sacking him now.

We had the chance to sack him at the end of last season, we didn't, and now unfortunately we have to stick with him and see how we begin the league campaign. I'm not hopeful at all but I'm at least willing to give him a chance to prove the new signings. 

Edited by JinglinGeordie

I think having 4 new signings unavailable due to injury for the first game of the season is pretty worrying in itself to be honest. 

My main hope is that the absolute lack of any intensity yesterday is down to the game being treated as pre season, but going by how raging Smith was then that's doubtful. 

AND he's clearly stated he's his recruitment is unfinished.

We were told before Flanagan and Nesbit signed that we will be signing one wide player, one striker and a second keeper.

We only have a keeper still to come so that had no bearing on yesterday.

I have no doubt that we may dip into the loan market over the next month or so. But at the minute his recruitment is pretty much finished going by what he’s said.

One of the biggest problems yesterday may have been the fact he started 2 untested youth fullbacks on the wings when we actually had an untested youth winger on the bench. The other wing could have seen Matthews there as he tends to play him there constantly anyway and bring Berry into the centre. Play players in their positions will go a long way.

Beaten 2-0 at home by Cowdenfuckingbeath and some Rovers fans want Smith to be cut some slack?!

That's a fucking disgraceful result and it's very telling that not many supporters seem to care.

Maybe if you start attending our games again results will improve.

Think I’ll be watching the Hearts game in the boozer [emoji481]. You can have my seat if you want?

Some decent results for league 1 sides yday! What happened to Raith? Diddy cup or no i expected a comfortable win for you lot and Sheerin? He was fucking torture when he was with us! Agent Smith will be sacked by Xmas imo! As I said before he has no plan b and I was pleasantly surprised when he left us.

Yesterday was jobbies.

I'd forgotten season tickets weren't valid. Took my lad and his mate, and almost cried when I had to pay us all in.

Hopefully loans will become available once the championship and premier teams have used their fringe players to get through the cup games.

Slightly worried that we will just hump it long to duggan all season. If we do go down that route, we need midfield runners playing off him which didn't happen yesterday, possibly because we had two full backs playing wide.

We desperately need a winger in the side instead of full backs and centre mids being played out wide.

I want the young lads to play and do well, but only if they are good enough. Happy to see them play pre season (include cups in that) so we can see if they are ready or not. I think the development league we won twice raised a lot of false hope and unrealistic expectations that we have a conveyor belt of young lads ready to play. Its young boys playing v young boys in a molly coddled environment and I'm not convinced it's a great standard. Happy that reserve football has been brought back.

I'd class Mackay as a first team player now, but other than him I can't think of anyone who could be thought of as a first teamer yet from this batch of youngsters.

Berry looks tidy on the ball and hopefully reserve football against men, as opposed to development football will bring him and others on so they are better prepared for first team football.

I've seen little to suggest Stevenson is ready for first team level at the moment. Possibly a bit harsh as he's only been seen in glimpses. Maybe some reserve action will help him too.

Hard for Watson and Valentine to impress being played out of position.

The whole FT v PT debate is an interesting one. I'd have loved a hybrid so we didn't miss out on good players who had jobs then meant PT was the best option for them.

Let's see what happens when the league starts. No point trying to hound Smith out as it will just create a negative atmosphere and there is no chance he will be emptied at this stage.

The whole thing yesterday is a worry, only a fool would suggest otherwise. The biggest worry for me though is the way Smith determinedly played 4-4-2, which included playing the three u20 players all out of position - especially Valentine, making his competitive debut.

Hopefully if/when the injured players return, we’ll be fine. Barry Smith certainly doing his best to make sure we haven’t forgotten his shortcomings though.