The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’m of the opinion( probably in the minority though) that Lewis Milne will be an excellent addition if true.

I’ve wanted us to sign him ever since his Cowden days so I’m quite happy about that.

I totally agree with you - the minority is now at least two!!

I like the route we’re going down as finances really dictate our signing ability. It’s ok signing ex championship jobbers that really haven’t set the heather alight. Bringing in hungry players from the league below might just work.

I'd be happy with the Milne signing.  A young attacking midfielder who as someone mentioned a page back is coming of a title winning season.  He was a stand out for Cowden and by sounds of it a good player for Montrose so if he signs i'll give the lad a chance to show what he can do. 

At 24 he's still only going to get better and maybe a move to a full time team will help that.

31 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

I'd be happy with the Milne signing.  A young attacking midfielder who as someone mentioned a page back is coming of a title winning season.  He was a stand out for Cowden and by sounds of it a good player for Montrose so if he signs i'll give the lad a chance to show what he can do. 

At 24 he's still only going to get better and maybe a move to a full time team will help that.

Spot on with this post, You just need to look at Andrew Robertson to see what can be achieved in the lower leagues!

This.

Montrose kicked serious ass last season, and deservedly came up as champions. Lewis Milne was a stand out in that team. Peterhead and Stirling ran them close. But that determination to win was amazing.

Signs of humility and realism in the last few posts, what's going on???
It wasn't that long ago (weeks/days) the posts were along the lines of "we shouldn't be signing players from League 2, hell we shouldn't be signing jobbers from league 1, we're the Mighty Rovers"!!!
Common sense or reality setting in???

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

Signs of humility and realism in the last few posts, what's going on???
It wasn't that long ago (weeks/days) the posts were along the lines of "we shouldn't be signing players from League 2, hell we shouldn't be signing jobbers from league 1, we're the Mighty Rovers"!!!
Common sense or reality setting in???

Both. Finally. 

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I disagree with that. Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart were stand outs for Cowden. Milne was nowhere near their level.

Not disagreeing with they 2 but Milne throughout his time at Cowden was one of their better players.  Maybe not on the other 2 level, which has shown with where they ended up, but that doesn't mean he wasn't as key player.

Edited by Rover1990

Milne should be a reasonable signing. I'd be happy if he is willing to pick up the ball in midfield and drive forward with it. We've sorely lacked that since Craigen left (when he was played through the middle). Even Callachan only really started doing it at the beginning of last season. He's still relatively young, but hopefully he'll benefit from full time training. It's really hard to judge how he'll do. Herron came to us with a reputation for being a bit creative, but then did nothing of the sort. Even our tactics last season showed we're not really a team for playing it through the middle. It was either the occasional knock but generally it was trying to get the ball down the wing, or watching the ball getting headed back with three forwards who were useless in the air.

I think Milne would be a decent signing for Raith. Still fairly young at 24, but has plenty of experience in the Championship and League 1. He was averaging not far off a goal a game from midfield with us last season, provides a threat from midfield and has the vision to pick out a pass.

Milne sounds like just the type of midfielder we have all been crying out for. He and Gillespie's styles should complement each other in midfield. It would also mean Vaughan is not required to play that role  freeing him up to play in the more attacking positions.

I agree with what others have said about signing players who have been successful in league 2 could be a better signing policy than signing duds from the leagues above. This would be a fourth good signing imo. A couple of decent wingers and full backs next hopefully. 

6 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Milne sounds like just the type of midfielder we have all been crying out for. He and Gillespie's styles should complement each other in midfield. It would also mean Vaughan is not required to play that role  freeing him up to play in the more attacking positions.

I agree with what others have said about signing players who have been successful in league 2 could be a better signing policy than signing duds from the leagues above. This would be a fourth good signing imo. A couple of decent wingers and full backs next hopefully. 

Gillespie should be a stand out at this level, and give us the right level of physicality we need in the middle, might also help Matthews out a bit.

Of the other two who've been confirmed, I'd say there are enough questions around them to be sceptical. Duggan, like Gillespie should add strength in an area of the park where we were lacking last year, but 15 goals is a respectable but not the kind of breakthrough total that we probably need. If he scores that much again, he'll only be replacing what we lost through Spence (which wasn't enough in the end), which given the number of goals you need to score to be in contention would still leave us overly reliant on Vaughan.  It's maybe the case that my doubts aren't so much about Duggan but rather about Buchanan. Either way he looks based on his style of play to be useful to us, but at the same time I don't think he's the answer to the question of where the hell we're going to score f**k tonnes of goals from.

Thompson won't be as bad as Smith, and probably not as crocked as Lennox but I remember him from his time at QoS and he wasn't a world beater, albeit you wouldn't expect us to be signing those type of players anyway.  So long as he only throws the ball in the net twice he'll be doing better than Smith.

The Milne signing has the daysgoneby seal of approval as well as other fairly ITK sources. I'm kinda warming to the idea, as to be fair I didn't think there were too many free agents in that area with high profiles anyway so it's sufficiently left field to make me smile. Forgot he's still pretty young and it's probably a good place to look, i.e. decent players on the way up, and he's punished us before. Someone who can hold onto the ball high up the middle of the pitch is a must have if our current strike force remains the same. On the other hand his career trajectory hasn't been great of late and while accepting our place as the last chance saloon for FT wannabes, at some point we need to look at the fact that in order to give yourself a good chance of getting out of league 1, you don't need a good league 1 team, you need a side capable of competing and surviving in the championship.

Be interesting to see who comes in after that, I've heard a couple of names, one of which is totally meh, the other which has the capacity to be a decent signing though neither are forwards. I wonder if we do sign both (midfielders) we'd be left with only one more space and then it's either Watson as first choice right back or a limited strike force.

34 minutes ago, renton said:

Gillespie should be a stand out at this level, and give us the right level of physicality we need in the middle, might also help Matthews out a bit.

Of the other two who've been confirmed, I'd say there are enough questions around them to be sceptical. Duggan, like Gillespie should add strength in an area of the park where we were lacking last year, but 15 goals is a respectable but not the kind of breakthrough total that we probably need. If he scores that much again, he'll only be replacing what we lost through Spence (which wasn't enough in the end), which given the number of goals you need to score to be in contention would still leave us overly reliant on Vaughan.  It's maybe the case that my doubts aren't so much about Duggan but rather about Buchanan. Either way he looks based on his style of play to be useful to us, but at the same time I don't think he's the answer to the question of where the hell we're going to score f**k tonnes of goals from.

Thompson won't be as bad as Smith, and probably not as crocked as Lennox but I remember him from his time at QoS and he wasn't a world beater, albeit you wouldn't expect us to be signing those type of players anyway.  So long as he only throws the ball in the net twice he'll be doing better than Smith.

The Milne signing has the daysgoneby seal of approval as well as other fairly ITK sources. I'm kinda warming to the idea, as to be fair I didn't think there were too many free agents in that area with high profiles anyway so it's sufficiently left field to make me smile. Forgot he's still pretty young and it's probably a good place to look, i.e. decent players on the way up, and he's punished us before. Someone who can hold onto the ball high up the middle of the pitch is a must have if our current strike force remains the same. On the other hand his career trajectory hasn't been great of late and while accepting our place as the last chance saloon for FT wannabes, at some point we need to look at the fact that in order to give yourself a good chance of getting out of league 1, you don't need a good league 1 team, you need a side capable of competing and surviving in the championship.

Be interesting to see who comes in after that, I've heard a couple of names, one of which is totally meh, the other which has the capacity to be a decent signing though neither are forwards. I wonder if we do sign both (midfielders) we'd be left with only one more space and then it's either Watson as first choice right back or a limited strike force.

May as well name them so we can get all doomy and gloomy again?