The New Raith Rovers Thread

18 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

2nd year will be conditional to going up 

If only we were smart enough to try that sort of contract with Buchanan.

40 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You're better than that Zen x

To be fair with the signings we've made so far, we wouldn't be above that even if you signed the guys who operate the turnstiles.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Cheer up

In 5 sets of play off fixtures we've played in since the new system was introduced (Stirling 2007, Airdrie 2008, Hibernian 2016, Brechin 2017, Alloa 2018), in terms of games played we've won one, drew two and lost seven. We've never won an actual play off fixture.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

A decent manager of a full-time club who recruits well, will virtually always win a part-time league.

The Dunfermline team who finished seventh in this division a few years ago, didn’t fail because they remained full-time, it was because they made a hash of their managerial appointment.

There’s no chance that the four players mentioned in the Press were the only four we’ve been talking to, and I’d imagine we’ve other irons in the fire, which hopefully excite us and can lead a title tilt.

I do think this season is make-or-break in terms of us remaining full-time though, and arguably for Barry Smith’s career.

That's a good post but can you kindly toe the party line in the future? 

Some examples to include in your posts... 

"Rumoured signings are shite." 

"We might struggle to finish in the playoffs." 

"Been as well going part-time." 

"We need to sign 5 more players!" 

"I'm being a bed wetter and will feel a bit silly when we sign players capable of getting us up." 

Just need someone to come in for Vaughan to really rub some salt into the wounds...

In all seriousness there are far to many presumptions at the moment. We'll wait and see who else Smith brings in before panicking. At this present moment though things don't look to clever for us but I'm sure Smith realises we're needing more bodies in and work will be going on in the background to strengthen the squad (I hope). Bit of a pisser to miss out on Telfer and now Loy but hey ho. I'm happy thus far with who has been brought in. If we can get a similar goals return from Duggan when he was at EF then that's a bonus and you never know...Buchanan might come good. Gillespie as well, on paper, sounds like a decent signing for this level as does Thomson.

2 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

Ach, Davo'd never dae that, min!!   ;)

Davo got a fucking beauty on Dougie Hill two years ago in a friendly at Brechin.

Barely a minute in and he T-bones him at the halfway line straight into the stand, the noise Dougie made was frightening, as he was winded and struggling to breathe.

I asked him about it later that week and his reply was 'Ach, he would have done the same'

20 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

At least our expectations of any kind of championship winning squad would’ve evaporated. Another season of utter pap unfortunately. We’d be better off with Nathan Lane than fucking Isaac Layne

better off with Cleo Lane

What exactly are all these Dumbarton players doing in their "part-time" job with C&G Systems on the railways? What skills do all these full-time footballers have that are so desirable for this company? Seems more than a bit shady.

Disappointing to lose out on a signing to a rival but Loy is not necessarily the world beater he's being made out to be. Time will tell.

Pleased with Gillespie but more needed. Next.

4 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

What exactly are all these Dumbarton players doing in their "part-time" job with C&G Systems on the railways? What skills do all these full-time footballers have that are so desirable for this company? Seems more than a bit shady.

Disappointing to lose out on a signing to a rival but Loy is not necessarily the world beater he's being made out to be. Time will tell.

Spoiler

Edited by Zen Archer

Shady [emoji23]

They are offering young footballers a chance at employment outside of football, what's shady about it? They employ other people that aren't Dumbarton players. I'm fairly certain they give these, young fit guys training so they can do the job they are employed to do, much like I got when I started my job.

Haven't Raith had players wages paid by external parties in recent years much like numerous other lower league sides? Shady IMO.

I think the big loser in this situation is C&G Systems staff trainer.

In all seriousness, as much as I’m sure everything between the sponsor and club is watertight, having the future of your playing squad reliant on an ongoing relationship with a railroad company seems, well, unorthodox.

But aye, Y WEE NAW GO PRT TIEM?