The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Assume Loy signs for Dumbarton, that's the end of the FFP's list of marque signings. Then what? Give you good money we'll end up signing Nathan Flanagan, re-signing Kevin McHattie and a loan keeper and  then we'll be done. Gillespie might be a good signing but we'll surround him with shite.

Maybe so but  the least we can do is actually crack a smile when we do bring a decent player to the club. Plenty of time to complain over the coming weeks!

Edited by mealsonwheels

Just now, mealsonwheels said:

Maybe so but at the least we can do is actually crack a smile when we do bring a decent player to the club. Plenty of time to complain over the coming weeks!

It's hardly a surprise that we've signed him. The name leaked even before the FFP printed it last week. I'm already done appreciating it and am now efficiently moving on to complaining.

3 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Maybe so but at the least we can do is actually crack a smile when we do bring a decent player to the club. Plenty of time to complain over the coming weeks!

NAH!! Yer askin' too much there!!.......;)

Edited by Wee Sandy

Just now, renton said:

It's hardly a surprise that we've signed him. The name leaked even before the FFP printed it last week. I'm already done appreciating it and am now efficiently moving on to complaining.

Ach well at least your a consistent rovers supporter 

Just now, mealsonwheels said:

Ach well at least your a consistent rovers supporter 

Christ, I used to be quite the happy clapper, but the last couple of seasons have finally kicked that out of me. 

Let's be fair though, so far we look pretty blunt up front, with Buchanan who's hardly set the heather alight and Duggan who might be ok, but can't rely on him carrying the forward line. Vaughan will get kicked out wide because we'll only sign one wide player. Meanwhile Gillespie will fit in alongside Matthews who was awful most of last year or one of the kids with no real experience. We'll end up panic signing one or two of the trialists who really won't be up to much because they never are.  The only thing I'd be moderately comfortable with is our centre back options but even then they are likely going to be having to shield an inexperienced Watson at right back and a keeper who's had more than a few "throw 'em in the net" moments.

9 minutes ago, mealsonwheels said:

Maybe so but  the least we can do is actually crack a smile when we do bring a decent player to the club. Plenty of time to complain over the coming weeks!

8 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Got to say that so far that's been a very poor reaction to a decent signing.

See the source image

Gillespie is an excellent signing for us. He'll add experience to the midfield and will give us a bit of bite which we're going to miss now Robbo is gone.

But I'm very much of the view we're using this to mitigate on any fallout of another target of ours going elsewhere. Flood is understandable given that the Pars are a more attractive proposition in a higher league.

But if we've lost out on Loy to a club at this level then it's going to leave fans really questioning our decision making in the transfer market. The club really need to bring in some more good names if they expect to get a larger number of season tickets. Losing a forward to rivals at this level doesn't inspire any confidence at all.

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Assume Loy signs for Dumbarton, that's the end of the FFP's list of marque signings. Then what? Give you good money we'll end up signing Nathan Flanagan, re-signing Kevin McHattie and a loan keeper and  then we'll be done. Gillespie might be a good signing but we'll surround him with shite.

Without wanting to tempt fate on the Loy stuff until he's standing with a Sons scarf over his head, that article with the 4 players listed reeked of the desperation we saw from Stevie Aitken last year. Aitken went on a 3 week holiday (IMO expecting to get a full-time offer) and came back with little to no time to put a squad of any quality together. Fans were getting restless so he leaked James Penrice and Ryan Porteous to us on loan as "done deals" to the press only for Penrice to go to Livi and Porteous to stay and fight for a first team place at Hibs. We ended up with the jobbers that had just been relegated with you guys and a bunch of others not up to the standard, we very nearly saved ourselves but to be honest it was the summer build that fucked us.

I'm not sure I want you guys to get relegated but I hope Smith is having as much bother finding quality as Aitken did last year. 

Gillespie looks like a very good signing – good track record and a large amount of games at a higher level – and he’s only 26. Smith has addressed one of the gaping holes within the squad with that one.  Loy could be a great singing for Dumbarton (assuming he signs) but having seen us sign several “exciting” forwards in recent years it can also go the other way. Daly, Wighton, Buchannan, Spence are all players that arrived with a bit of hype in recent years and just didn’t do it – and I was delighted at all of those signings at the time. Type of player that can win leagues though if he gets going, and I’d rather have him playing for us than any of our rivals.

Disappointing/worrying that he is choosing to go Part Time rather than play for us. Also naming him in the FFP article was just daft, and that type of thing just ends up making the club/paper look foolish.  There's been talk for weeks of a striker in advanced talks, then 4 days after being publically named in local paper he signs (maybe) for one of our main rivals. Not great.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. We have signed 3 players now who should be decent additions at this level and got rid of most of the shite from last year. I'm pretty pleased with the business the club have done so far. Hopefully we can get Hendry back on loan and then we will only be a couple of wide players short of having a squad more than capable of winning league 1. 

Just now, RR #1 said:

Don't see what all the fuss is about. We have signed 3 players now who should be decent additions at this level and got rid of most of the shite from last year. I'm pretty pleased with the business the club have done so far. Hopefully we can get Hendry back on loan and then we will only be a couple of wide players short of having a squad more than capable of winning league 1. 

Really? Have to admit that Vaughan aside I don't think we look very good up top (and I'm not convinced we'll play Vaughan through the middle that often). 

5 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

You're having a laugh two wide players and Hendry back and we have a squad capable of winning the league. We have one keeper, no rightback a central midfield with no creativity, no left sided or right sided midfielders and 3 small strikers with again no target man. For me we need at least 5 more player's to get anywhere near winning the league 

I think duggan and Vaughan would be a great partnership at this level. Duggan creating the space with his work rate should give Vaughan the space he needs. Vaughan can be replaced with buchanan if Vaughan is played wide and it would be the same result.

Gillespie is a great signing for us at this level, on paper at least. Can fill in at rb and play cm so don't think we will see another rb come in and fully expect him and Watson to be our options at rb with davo being able to fill in there well aswell.

Getting hendry back would be a real bonus, he was one of our better players in the run in last season.

We desperately need a couple of wingers but the team is shaping up better than I thought it would and I'm quite excited to see the youngsters getting more involved in the first team.

Gillespie has never set the top flight alight, but against Ross County at least he always seemed to do his job well enough.  He's not going to be a match-winner but will give 7/10 in centre-mid.  He does have a trick to beat a player 1v1 when he gets himself higher up the pitch.  He played a lot at wing-back or full-back for Accies but the centre circle is more his home.