The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I don't want M'Voto back. 

Gives me the fear. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 beta using Pie and Bovril mobile app 

No one does, and with 4 guys capable of playing centre back already, adding another would be the height of stupidity. 

If Vaughan is still here, he'll surely start LM and Matthews needs to step up as a CM. That leaves one other CM, a RM and maybe a RB (plus whatever's happening with a new back-up goalie or Brian). We'll have to try and bag a cheap loan or two but that could well be it.

I'm surprised people are surprised by this - we're running a reduced budget yet some fans seem to think we will still have the same number of players as last season.

12 minutes ago, renton said:

No one does, and with 4 guys capable of playing centre back already, adding another would be the height of stupidity. 

And in the wake of previous seasons is precisely why it cannot be ruled out.

7 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

If Vaughan is still here, he'll surely start LM and Matthews needs to step up as a CM. That leaves one other CM, a RM and maybe a RB (plus whatever's happening with a new back-up goalie or Brian). We'll have to try and bag a cheap loan or two but that could well be it.

I'm surprised people are surprised by this - we're running a reduced budget yet some fans seem to think we will still have the same number of players as last season.

Except that Cuthbert has already said we're after another keeper, and Smith has said we're in advanced talks with a striker, so of the chairman's 3 signings, 2 definitely aren't midfielders.

A reduced budget is one thing, and worth noting that in our first few games we were running with basically 13 senior players, but if we are to go into the season with nothing but a few young guys in midfield we'd be asking for a world of hurts.  You'd also imagine guys like Robertson and Lennox,  given their previous clubs were on decent money, so it's never just a simple one in, one out thing with the budget either, especially since we know that guys were asked to take a pay cut (based on Barr's podcast)

2 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

That's true but we've binned 10 players (Smith, Lennox, Thomson, McHattie, Herron, Barr, Spence , Court, Furtado and probably Robertson) not including the loan signings of Zanatta and Hendry.

So far we have signed Thomson and Duggan.  With another 3 signings you'd still tend to think that reducing the squad by 5 players is a tad optimistic if we are serious about wanting to go up.

Far better I'd suggest to keep Brian as back up and sign a LB, a striker and at least 2 if not 3 midfielder/wingers

41 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

That's true but we've binned 10 players (Smith, Lennox, Thomson, McHattie, Herron, Barr, Spence , Court, Furtado and probably Robertson) not including the loan signings of Zanatta and Hendry.

So far we have signed Thomson and Duggan.  With another 3 signings you'd still tend to think that reducing the squad by 5 players is a tad optimistic if we are serious about wanting to go up.

Far better I'd suggest to keep Brian as back up and sign a LB, a striker and at least 2 if not 3 midfielder/wingers

I’d say a right back is needed more than a left back. Not sure Watson is ready to be relied upon as first choice. Murray at left back with Bene and Davo at CB and a new signing at right back is a solid back 4.

Somebody able to play comfortably on both sides would be ideal. Someone like Gary Irvine but only not old and passed it.

48 minutes ago, renton said:

especially since we know that guys were asked to take a pay cut (based on Barr's podcast)

Was Barr not referring to the pay cut everyone had to take (25% written in to all of their contracts) due to relgation?

Except that Cuthbert has already said we're after another keeper, and Smith has said we're in advanced talks with a striker, so of the chairman's 3 signings, 2 definitely aren't midfielders.
A reduced budget is one thing, and worth noting that in our first few games we were running with basically 13 senior players, but if we are to go into the season with nothing but a few young guys in midfield we'd be asking for a world of hurts.  You'd also imagine guys like Robertson and Lennox,  given their previous clubs were on decent money, so it's never just a simple one in, one out thing with the budget either, especially since we know that guys were asked to take a pay cut (based on Barr's podcast)

A striker could be someone that plays RM too (oh for another Tade). Smith needs to identify players that can play in more than one position given that the squad size is so small.

1 minute ago, Rover the Moon said:

A striker could be someone that plays RM too (oh for another Tade). Smith needs to identify players that can play in more than one position given that the squad size is so small.

Aye, on the other hand "a different dimension to the attack" doesn't make it sound like someone who fits into the Vaughan/Buchanan/Duggan type of forward, so probably not someone who'd rely on pace and trickery? That obviously could just be my preconceived bias, right enough.

5 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

Was Barr not referring to the pay cut everyone had to take (25% written in to all of their contracts) due to relgation?

No there's a bit where he says he was asked to take another cut this season.