The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Crazy that the vote was taken prior to the hustings,however well done and good luck to Andy.

The vote was open for a week after the hustings took place and the email I got at the start told you there was going to be a hustings. I couldn’t make up my mind from the statements so waited until the hustings and voted afterwards. Anyone choosing to vote before the hustings did so by choice in the full knowledge there was a hustings coming. 

The vote was open for a week after the hustings took place and the email I got at the start told you there was going to be a hustings. I couldn’t make up my mind from the statements so waited until the hustings and voted afterwards. Anyone choosing to vote before the hustings did so by choice in the full knowledge there was a hustings coming. 
Unfortunately only about 40 folks at the hustings, so the vast majority of votes were cast without that valuable insight.

32 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:
5 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Unfortunately only about 40 folks at the hustings, so the vast majority of votes were cast without that valuable insight.

The whole thing was put on Raith TV so was available to all or at least all with the Internet. I’m guessing most folk either knew the candidates or voted based on the statements. 

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

The whole thing was put on Raith TV so was available to all or at least all with the Internet. I’m guessing most folk either knew the candidates or voted based on the statements. 

I had hoped to make the hustings but was unwell, so watched on raith tv before casting my vote - all 4 were decent, but there were definitely 2 head and shoulders above the rest at the hustings - one it seems didn't even make it to the final 2.

However, all the best to Andy - like I say - I think we had 4 very good candidates - I only ask he reaches out to all Rovers supporters, which I don't think any of the recent directors have done very well at all.

Edited by GhostZapper

Reading the doom and gloom regarding the finances makes me wonder why we stayed full time, if we can’t match part time teams in terms of wages then this idea is folly. If we’re basically scraping the very bottom of the barrel it won’t breed any kind of excitement with the fans. Season ticket sales will drop dramatically. That’s in my head though!!! Last season Buchanan and Spence were the marquee signings. This season not so much.

14 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Reading the doom and gloom regarding the finances makes me wonder why we stayed full time, if we can’t match part time teams in terms of wages then this idea is folly. If we’re basically scraping the very bottom of the barrel it won’t breed any kind of excitement with the fans. Season ticket sales will drop dramatically. That’s in my head though!!! Last season Buchanan and Spence were the marquee signings. This season not so much.

Has League 1 not only been won by 2 or 3 Part Time teams in the last 12 years?

It will be a combination of getting in the right players (which finances will partially dictate) but also finding good PT who can step up to FT football, as well as fitness - players playing and training full time, rather than having to work a job before training, or for midweek games, playing on a Tuesday night does show over the course of a season. Fitness and stamina will come in to it. Look at last season - Both ourselves and Ayr finished 15 points above the part time teams in the league - How many games did we kick on in the last 20 mins when other teams tired. 

Previous to that,  Livi walked it the season before, and Dunfermline scooshed it by 18 points over Ayr who were PT the season before that.

The other thing is signing players who will perform and get the job done in this division - they don't need to be marquee signings like  Spence and Buchanan were. Euan Murray was someone few of us had really seen much of, and yet was one of our best performers. I'd happily take 5 or 6 "quiet" singings like Murray than another 2 players who will take prob the higher of the weekly wages, without a return that warrants it.

Edited by GhostZapper

There is little excitement whether we’re full-time or part-time.

If I buy a season ticket (big if) it will be for altruistic reasons only. Taking the cup games out the season ticket means there’s virtually no point in me buying a season ticket, if I’m only thinking in cold hard cash. I rarely attend more than 10 home league games and virtually never attend friendlies unless it’s against English opponents. So £250 is terrible value for money.

If you were excited at Spence and Buchanan signing get help. We are in a shite league which no decent footballers want to play in. The difference between League 1 and the Championship is quite stark in terms of the footballers on show. The best we can hope for is we get out of this league soon.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

There is little excitement whether we’re full-time or part-time.

If I buy a season ticket (big if) it will be for altruistic reasons only. Taking the cup games out the season ticket means there’s virtually no point in me buying a season ticket, if I’m only thinking in cold hard cash. I rarely attend more than 10 home league games and virtually never attend friendlies unless it’s against English opponents. So £250 is terrible value for money.

If you were excited at Spence and Buchanan signing get help. We are in a shite league which no decent footballers want to play in. The difference between League 1 and the Championship is quite stark in terms of the footballers on show. The best we can hope for is we get out of this league soon.

:lol:

True enough. 

It's something I've thought before, season tickets aren't value for money - but then being a football fan, particularly a lower league fan isn't about value for money. It's a hobby, a financial black hole we sink money into.  We're not that much different from people who spend all their time making model railways. It wasn't halving the price of the entry gate that got 4400 folk through the turnstiles on the last day of the season there, it was the potential for a spectacular finish that did, the game itself. 

2 hours ago, GhostZapper said:

I had hoped to make the hustings but was unwell, so watched on raith tv before casting my vote - all 4 were decent, but there were definitely 2 head and shoulders above the rest at the hustings - one it seems didn't even make it to the final 2.

However, all the best to Andy - like I say - I think we had 4 very good candidates - I only ask he reaches out to all Rovers supporters, which I don't think any of the recent directors have done  at all.

FTFY

Edited by Scottydog

It’s probably not that we cant match the wages though. It’s probably that we can’t match the wage of a job outside football and a decent pt wage. If players want to go or stay full time then it puts us in pole position. Also let’s wait until we see who we sign until we all start moaning our pus off. We are not in the same market as the other teams in this league

It’s probably not that we cant match the wages though. It’s probably that we can’t match the wage of a job outside football and a decent pt wage. If players want to go or stay full time then it puts us in pole position. Also let’s wait until we see who we sign until we all start moaning our pus off. We are not in the same market as the other teams in this league

That’s a valid point, you just hear a lot grumbling in the work place and out and about. A lot of unhappy faces with regards to the plastic pitch and where best to use the money.

At least we're not going down the Gary Locke route of signing our biggest squad in decades that turned out to be utterly shambolic and/or new signings that didn't even get on the pitch. 

I think the worry comes from the fact other teams have been signing players, some teams with their squads pretty much finished, and we're sitting with only 6 players at the moment. I'm fluctuating between being worried at the lack of signing news to then being a bit more positive that we're simply wanting to get the right players in rather than just go doolally by signing any old jobber.