The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

FFP saying that Euan Murray has signed a new deal and expected to be announced soon, great news if true.  Other players that have been offered new deals have better financial offers on table from other clubs so its a wait and see with them. 

We are also looking at a goalie whos dad has Raith connections.  Only one I can link of is Robbie Thomson who would be a good signing.

Today's FFP

5 hours ago, renton said:

That's where you lose me. Relocating to the edge of no where makes for a soulless match day experience.

I wouldn't get too worried, it'll never happen.

I partly agree with you but it's pretty much the way of the modern football world, look at Aberdeen building a new stadium at Kingswells to the west of the city.

Stirlings Forthbank and St Johnstones McD park are as soulless as it gets but would you say StMirren or Falkirk's souless too?

The thing is Starks Park is already on the edges of the town as it is, if you live up the Gallatown (I do and I walk it 2.5 miles both ways every home game) or in Dysart it's almost as far away as it could be in Kirkcaldy and if you are coming from Glenrothes it certainly is. We refer the High St as the town centre but it's only that figuratively speaking. Population wise most of Kdy's residents live well over a mile from the stadium. If we were to move it could be as much a walk to the ground from the bust station as it could potentially be to just about any other point on the outskirts from existing bus routes.

Modern Stadia need space with room for hospitality, parking and training facilities and thats rarely available in the town. I'm a traditionalist at heart and would love to stay put but I recognise the financial need for change and so my own preference would now be for a Falkirk style stadium at the Randolph road between the Redhouse roundabout, Standing Stane Rd.  At some future point I think the boundaries of Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes eventually will blur and merge and then you could have a community stadium complex still in the middle of things.  There's 50,000 in Kdy and 40,000 in G'rothes we really should be tapping that resource better, attracting a mere 3.5% of that would give us a home support of 4,000.  Transport wise the Randolph would good for road links and theres's a railway station at Thornton and continued rumblings of a 2nd Kirkcaldy station between Dysart and Sinclairtown.

Like I say though a new stadium will never happen though unless one of us wins big on the Euro lottery.

21 minutes ago, renton said:

The bulldozer in the picture would be good up front I think.

Smith would no doubt revert to a passing game if we signed it. 

Edited by Michael W

I like the location of Starks Park. It’s pretty easy to get parked close by, and when I take the train down the combination of pubs on the High Street and surrounding areas is great and it’s a short ish walk up from there.  Im a traditionalist at heart and would prefer to see the club stay there.

However having done the tour with hospitality a couple of months ago, it really hit home how little there is at the ground. The main stand for all its quirks really isn’t fit to hold the inner workings of the football club we probably want to be.  Appreciate the way its going with out of town grounds, but im pretty sceptical about the Aberdeen one for example. They are moving a good 5 plus miles out of the city centre area and personally I think once the novelty wears off there could be issues there. The main reason behind that though is the training facilities etc – the Rovers have it incredibly lucky with that regards as Aberdeen have to use public facilities and don’t get any real preference sometimes (they got kicked off Banks O’ Dee pitch as a part was booked around Xmas time). Rovers wont have that issue with the plastic pitch. 

Having said all of that, its depressing seeing what was once a classic ground sitting at ultimate best barely half full. Even if the Railway stand was up and running (pie in the sky in itself), all that would do is dilute the South Stand and we’d end up with 1,500 fans spread across 3 sides. Something like Ross County’s ground would have been ideal for the Rovers, with all sides similar size in height to Railway stand – even with 2k odd in the stadium a reasonable atmosphere would have bene generated.  

Please stop the talk about moving away from Starks. Why would anyone want to move from being a ten minute walk from stations and high street all the way out to the edge of town. It is madness.  We would lose a lot of supporters from the Links and would get less visiting fans if we were not within walking distance of the train station. 

Disappointed we are seemingly going with a similar defence as last season. We still have Buchanan and Vaughan as our strikers so I was hoping we might sign some players who can play out from the back even if it meant we would be conceding more goals. 

Might be onto something there Frank...

Love Davo couldn’t get the word ‘well’ out.... I’ll eat the right things, eat well and drink.......

Even he knows that saying he’ll drink the right things is an empty promise

1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

Please stop the talk about moving away from Starks. Why would anyone want to move from being a ten minute walk from stations and high street all the way out to the edge of town. It is madness.  We would lose a lot of supporters from the Links and would get less visiting fans if we were not within walking distance of the train station. 

On the contrary, we'd be easier to get to for Glenrothes based supporters. (Based on my retail park suggestion) 

Quite a large demographic that the club would love to attract. 

Plus, if folk wouldn't travel to the other end of the town to watch the team their heart maybe wasn't in it all that much in the first place. 

If we were ever going to move I thought the big empty space on Narin Street would be idea. Its close to the train station and town and would hopefully be big enough to build a decent stadium with facilites etc.

https://www.ryden.co.uk/commercial-property/fife/2930?back=/search%3F%26submit%3DSEARCH%26no_results%3D10%26sort%3Dprice_high%26location%3Dkirkcaldy%26pg%3D1

5 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

If we were ever going to move I thought the big empty space on Narin Street would be idea. Its close to the train station and town and would hopefully be big enough to build a decent stadium with facilites etc.

https://www.ryden.co.uk/commercial-property/fife/2930?back=/search%3F%26submit%3DSEARCH%26no_results%3D10%26sort%3Dprice_high%26location%3Dkirkcaldy%26pg%3D1

At 8 acres it's way too small. You'd need double that to get everything in.