The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Eric Drysdale for all of his faults at least knew how the game worked and how the organisations within the game worked.

:wacko: And yet struggled with the concept of an emergency loan when we had no keeper......

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

So far so good from Sim. There's a lot of "we're still learning" and smiles all round. I see his plans as long term solutions which is obviously a good thing. I hope it's not a case of starting one project and then forgetting about it when the size of the task is realised and then starting something else.

The pitch is happening and with a bit of luck, it won't be too long until we have the finished article rather than a pitch with no lights and no public facility. I think it will be a step in the right direction and the fact that the funding for this is "ring fenced" from Starks Park Properties then it is reassuring that the club itself won't be directly affected financially.

He's obviously good with the numbers and has a business head on. On a footballing side, I think we need someone at the club with a bit of football savvy about them. Eric Drysdale for all of his faults at least knew how the game worked and how the organisations within the game worked.

Agree with everything else apart from your Eric Drysdale comment! It is evident they don't have the footballing experience we perhaps need. Sims didn't seem to want to commit to answering questions on the playing squad, contracts, who's being brought in  "Barrys best placed to answer that" - It is clear they are trying to get up to speed - I just hope that the new chairman does that quickly.

Alarming how bad a state Starks is, but then my question would be that SPP Ltd should surely have been maintaining the ground these past years.... definitely needs a bit of money spent to upgrade certain bits, and its reassuring Sims seems to have a realistic plan to do it in stages, and rightly, they want to get it right for the first team before they start trying to open it to mixed use. In terms of business savy, he definitely has it. I'm also confident he does have a long term vision for the club, and that's something we desperately need! rattling along losing £100k a season is no longer a viable option for a club our size and in L1

25 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

On a footballing side, I think we need someone at the club with a bit of football savvy about them. Eric Drysdale for all of his faults at least knew how the game worked and how the organisations within the game worked.

If there was one thing Drysdale didn't have it was football savvy.

Must say, I agree with the majority of the releases/retains. Would have liked to see Buchanan booted but wouldn't be able to afford to let him go and also wouldn't have minded Furtado getting a new contract. I know his fitness leaves something to be desired but he looks like he could be a player with proper training/coaching. Would like to see some faces coming in soon though as we are bare bones as it is! Thomson going part time wouldn't bother me to be honest. Chipped in with goals the past season but his footballing ability is absolutely atrocious. Any time he gets it he just hoofs it. Same with Robertson, he is composed off the ball but as soon as he gets it he wants rid of it ASAP. Complete rebuild required so here is hoping Smith isn't as clueless as he appears and can sort it out soon. I've not got high hopes, but will see who he manages to get in. I understand Booth is out of contract..... Now that would be a signing!

The Sim interview is interesting. He seems a genuine guy who wants to do the best for the club but probably didn't realise the extent of the job and is now up to his knees in cow pat. It worries me the extent of how much is needed to bring the club up to speed but hoping he is the man to do it... And that is pockets are filled with cash.

I'm a bit unsure on Thomson. He's been a brilliant servant for the club, but he's hugely frustrating to watch and has the first touch of a kerb. He scored loads of goals last season, but at the same time, he was caught short at points like Albion Rovers away. I wouldn't be too upset to see a changing of the guard there. The lad Watson looked a good prospect, but still a bit raw to be first pick.

Not that bothered about Thomson going, or staying, it’s more a fear that we won’t be able to sign anybody who’s an improvement on him that I’d keep him though.

I was borderline on Thomson, so if he goes I'll be a little disappointed but it's no disaster. Fair to say that he wouldn't have been retained if we were promoted and he does have to consider life after football. 

Great servant and for some time a vital player for us, particularly going forward, but he has noticeably regressed despite his goal tally last season. 

In saying that, I'd have been happy to see him stay as no obvious replacement springs to mind. I still think the club is missing a trick ruling out any PT players. 

Edited by Michael W

5 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Not that bothered about Thomson going, or staying, it’s more a fear that we won’t be able to sign anybody who’s an improvement on him that I’d keep him though.

Yeah, that's pretty much my view. 

There is a decent chance that only a couple of those offered contracts in addition to the four already under contract will stay (and even then, Vaughan might attract interest that we'd struggle to resist given our transfer policy).

It's been a properly Stalinist purge by Smith. 

The hatred for Drysdale is clear here but I think if you look at his time at the club on a broader scale, he did more good than bad.

I'm not denying that he was a complete joke at times; his use of the twitter account, statement after the goalkeeper fiasco, statement questioning the fans and so on. However, there's absolutely no denying that the club need someone who knows about running a football club there on a day to day basis making sure the right things are being done.

The football Chief Executive title has become more and more popular and successful over the years. Alan Burrows at Motherwell, Leeann Dempster at Hibs and Tonny Fitzpatrick at St Mirren. They have all been success stories because the clubs have made the long term decision to have someone who knows what they're doing in charge on a daily basis.

Who have we had at the club running the place daily since Drysdale left? Will the new chairman be there overseeing the work that's going on 8-5 every day?

Yeah, that's pretty much my view. 
There is a decent chance that only a couple of those offered contracts in addition to the four already under contract will stay (and even then, Vaughan might attract interest that we'd struggle to resist given our transfer policy).
It's been a properly Stalinist purge by Smith. 

Yeah on the flip side with Thomson probably away it could be a good chance to sign a younger guy and take a punt on him. RB is not the most crucial position at this level and otherwise we’ll have a lot of experience in defence.

I wouldn’t be too disappointed to see Thomson go. He’s been a great servant but probably better he goes now before his stock drops further in fans eyes and damages the way he’s remembered. He’ll certainly suit Dick Campbell’s style of football!

There doesn’t seem to be too many replacements jumping out though, decent right backs seem to be pretty thin on the ground which maybe edges me towards wanting him to stay. Is the lad Ballantyne that was on loan at Montrose and just been released by Dundee United a right back? He might be a decent option, highly rated by the Montrose fans.

I personally can't wait for Benedictus, Murray and Thomson to turn down new deals and watch us go through pre season with a make shift defence before offering a deal to a half fit Kevin McHattie in late July.

13 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I wouldn’t be too disappointed to see Thomson go. He’s been a great servant but probably better he goes now before his stock drops further in fans eyes and damages the way he’s remembered. He’ll certainly suit Dick Campbell’s style of football!

There doesn’t seem to be too many replacements jumping out though, decent right backs seem to be pretty thin on the ground which maybe edges me towards wanting him to stay. Is the lad Ballantyne that was on loan at Montrose and just been released by Dundee United a right back? He might be a decent option, highly rated by the Montrose fans.

He is a right back. He was excellent for us the last season and a half. Great engine on him, decent defender and great at getting forward and creating chances/scoring goals. Definitely capable of playing at a higher level, hopefully with us if we can offer him a decent deal, but chances are he'll move on, probably to a full time club. Wouldn't grudge him that either as he has been brilliant for us.

7 minutes ago, kev23 said:

I personally can't wait for Benedictus, Murray and Thomson to turn down new deals and watch us go through pre season with a make shift defence before offering a deal to a half fit Kevin McHattie in late July.

It's ok, by July we'll just be an amalgam of the Dundee youth teams 2010-2012 anyway.

Claude Anelka.
Gary Locke.
Ryan Stevenson in goals.
Discussion over.

Claude Anelka was 2004 and Gary Locke was 2016. Granted that everything you've said was a complete and utter shambles but if he was so bad then how did he last the length of time he was actually at the club? He must have had some attributes that made a difference?

I'm not defending him here. I'm just highlighting, that without someone taking care of the day to day running of the football club, we're leaving ourselves wide open for mistakes and standards slipping.