The New Raith Rovers Thread

Plenty people raised concerns when Callachan was sold and the change in the team was apparent straight away. Robertson has been hailed as the main man in midfield and rightly so but Callachan was the better of the 2.

That said although a huge miss it shouldn't have caused the issues it has including the fact Vaughan has been pissing about in midfield half the season and Buchanan has been shoehorned into a team that is intent on bypassing 50 yards of the pitch every tme it goes forward.

15 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png we lost the league title on the final day of the season because we sold Callachan? Vaughan hit the post in the 92nd minute because we sold Ross Callachan? When Callachan was sold everyone was amazed rather than disappointed. I'm pretty sure you were one of the Vaughan fanboys who pinned all our hopes of promotion on his wee shoulders and now the reason we didn't go up was because we sold Callachan? Come on, get a grip.

An offer came in for a player and we took the money. Smith would have likely had a small say on the matter regarding how valuable he would be to his squad but with Matthews, Robertson, Barr and then his idea of a replacement, he obviously felt he could strengthen a bit more and free up some cash for the club.

We've not even kicked a ball in the playoffs and already you've got us part-time and found the most tenuous reasoning behind it. Great stuff.

With logic like that you could get a place on the board.

The fact remains that we lost the league because we sold Ross Callachan.

With logic like that you could get a place on the board.
The fact remains that we lost the league because we sold Ross Callachan.

There’s no one reason why you lost the league.

Barry Smith, you’re away record, the fact that we pumped you 3-0 twice and that fact that your squad are a bunch of bottlers are just some of the reasons.

Callachan is a good player but keeping him wouldn’t have won you the league.

9 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

There’s no one reason why you lost the league.

Barry Smith, you’re away record, the fact that we pumped you 3-0 twice and that fact that your squad are a bunch of bottlers are just some of the reasons.

Callachan is a good player but keeping him wouldn’t have won you the league.

He was our main man in midfield, our driving force. When he left he was never successfully replaced. 

Not to mention that we started our long ball game  soon after he was away.

Stupid, stupid decision. 

He was our main man in midfield, our driving force. When he left he was never successfully replaced. 
Stupid, stupid decision. 

But we kept Louis Vaughan the saviour!

There's almost no point in arguing with you about this but you're responses and deluudedness are keeping me sane.

Callachan would have 100% been a valuable player for us this season but to pin everything that's gone wrong this season on him leaving is hilarious.

Stupid, stupid decision. 

Is it only stupid in hindsight or am I not correct in thinking the majority of fans didn’t rate him?

Just now, somerset_lad said:

Is it only stupid in hindsight or am I not correct in thinking the majority of fans didn’t rate him?

Not the majority but a vocal minority were stupidly critical of him. Mind you they’d probably be critical of Messi if he appeared in a Rovers shirt. 

Absolutely! There were countless of people on here who were extremely critical of him. He wasn't a player that had flare or attracted much attention on or off the ball but there was an extremely large Callachan shaped hole in our team midfield this season.

You Ayr fans should count yourselves lucky we sold him or we'd have pissed this league... [emoji23]

Absolutely! There were countless of people on here who were extremely critical of him. He wasn't a player that had flare or attracted much attention on or off the ball but there was an extremely large Callachan shaped hole in our team midfield this season.

You Ayr fans should count yourselves lucky we sold him or we'd have pissed this league... [emoji23]

Sit down Martin or I’ll be ringing your Dad.

Callachan like the rest of your squad would have bottled it on Saturday against Alloa. He might’ve boosted your chances in the play offs but it looks like it’ll be another season in this league for you.

Across the League Cup group stage, and the first 4 or 5 league games, our midfield looked considerably better with Robertson alongside Callachan.

At the time, I felt that if he was adequately replaced, and we had scope to bring in another wide player, it might give us a little better balance. Instead, the opposite happened.

John Herron didn’t provide the same dynamism as Callachan provided, nor did Ross Matthews. The next plan was to try and plug a Callachan shaped hole with Lewis Vaughan, moving him from a position where he was scoring every week, to one where he wasn’t remotely as effective.

By the time we’d reached Plan C, we’d completely destabilised a team which had won seven and drawn one of our first nine league games. We went from averaging 2.6 goals per game in that first quarter, to 1.6 for the rest of the campaign.

We were a better team with him in the side, and we lost the league by a point, so it’s not exactly the wildest suggestion that selling him had a massive factor in us failing to win the league.

Sit down Martin or I’ll be ringing your Dad.

Callachan like the rest of your squad would have bottled it on Saturday against Alloa. He might’ve boosted your chances in the play offs but it looks like it’ll be another season in this league for you.

[emoji23][emoji23]

How dare you!! Ross Callachan was going to be the saviour of our club... As well as Louis Vaughan! If we hadn't sold Callachan for a Hearts scarf and a box of Johnny's Onion Rings then we'd have easily taken 12 points from Ayr and had this league won by Christmas!

16 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

You Ayr fans should count yourselves lucky we sold him or we'd have pissed this league... emoji23.png

here is a footballer with flare(s) :lol:

nintchdbpict000388514791-e1519819743882.jpg

Across the League Cup group stage, and the first 4 or 5 league games, our midfield looked considerably better with Robertson alongside Callachan.

At the time, I felt that if he was adequately replaced, and we had scope to bring in another wide player, it might give us a little better balance. Instead, the opposite happened.

John Herron didn’t provide the same dynamism as Callachan provided, nor did Ross Matthews. The next plan was to try and plug a Callachan shaped hole with Lewis Vaughan, moving him from a position where he was scoring every week, to one where he wasn’t remotely as effective.

I feel like I've just listened to this.

Callachan is a reasonable Championship player. That's enough to make him an absolute standout in this league, as Shankland has proven. 

Selling one of our best players and not replacing him properly certainly didn't help our title challenge, that's for sure.